• Poor
    • Very poor
  3. 3. Refereeing performance

• Very good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very poor

We controlled the game for half an hour and looked dangerous.  Then we just went completely flat and you could see the game change and all of a sudden Arsenal looked like they were taking over but I think this was more down to us running out of steam than anything else.  I don't understand why people are saying we would of lost anyway regardless of a bug hitting the squad.  I believe we would of kept playing the way we were for the first half for the whole game if we had our fully fit team from last week and would of had a great chance to win the game as Arsenal were really poor and were there for the taking imo.  Just bad luck I guess and hopefully we are in good shape for next week.  Also, I hope The Rock can learn from his performance today because he really had a stinker.

One other thing I noticed - Senderos was absolutely berating himself for the first goal - he was furious with himself. I'll get another look later I guess, but from seeing it live, it didn't look like he was particularly to blame, just that we'd been caught with a higher line that in the rest of the half and exposed. Anyway, I think it affected him a little for the second goal and I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else thought the first goal was down to him? 

He pushed over towards Clark and got too close to him and didn't pay attention to Ozil,  I dunno if maybe Hutton should of been more aware of the run also but Senderock definitely takes most of the blame imo.   Watch the 2nd Arsenal goal and see how Clark checked his run just before the ball was squared to Danny Ballbag, he should of been trying to cut out the cross ala Baker vs Liverpool last week at the end of the 1st half.  I think he was trying to play offside which was stupid and he should of been more switched on to the danger. 

You know what? If you're going to ironically cheer when sanchez completes a pass, and ironically cheer when he gets taken off, and boo like a word removed when we lose against arsenal despite being third in the league, **** right off. To the rocket polishers at the centre back of the lower Holte who did that,  and booed them off at the end: we're better off without you. This site hates 'better fan', but I am a better fan than you words removed. Boo yourself. **** off. 

Bad day at the office. Onwards and upwards. Up the villa. 

Kind of agree - it doesn't help - but its not unique to villa - and the players are grown men and go into a career with there eyes open.....the rewards are massive.......but like most things in life ....there is a downside....

You know what? If you're going to ironically cheer when sanchez completes a pass, and ironically cheer when he gets taken off, and boo like a word removed when we lose against arsenal despite being third in the league, **** right off. To the rocket polishers at the centre back of the lower Holte who did that,  and booed them off at the end: we're better off without you. This site hates 'better fan', but I am a better fan than you words removed. Boo yourself. **** off. 

Unfortunately a lot of the fans who only turn up when we're doing well are also complete dicks. Every club has them. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

This was against one of the better sides in the league. It was always going to be a difficult game, but to be decimated with this bug, unfit players being played out of necessity - just forget it and move on - shit happens. 

But we did learn that Sanchez is not ready yet, and Grealish needs to be eased in, just the way Lambert is doing it.

• Like 1

As above. Work in progress. We'd have all been chuffed to bits with this points tally at this time. It's a shame that people turn up for a moan. Other than a mad four minutes we did just fine. The next few matches will be tough, but I know that if/when we lose, the boo boys will be out. It's upsetting. We're doing well. Get behind the boys. 

Four minutes of madness. It happens. Keep the faith.

• Like 1

Unfortunately a lot of the fans who only turn up when we're doing well are also complete dicks. Every club has them. 

we seem to have more than most, extra 12k turned up today from our last game. wonder why that was ? 

Agree with the consensus, 5-10 mins of soft goals cost us the game...all 3 of their goals were pretty shite and soft.

Outside of that, we kept them to producing nothing of any note...neither keepers were tested.  0-0 would have been a fair result, as both teams were pretty ineffective...with Villa edging it overall IMO.  Of course we have to take note that the crazy 5 minutes should not be allowed to be repeated, and just as much as they were ineffective we were almost just as bad...but nothing I'm gonna cry about coming up against an Arsenal team who are expecting so much more from the league.

Personally, what really peeved me about losing today was that I had a really whitty song about an Arsenal player that I would have posted had we won.

It was to the tune of the Manic Street Preachers' classic "Motorcycle Emptiness"

"Under neon loneliness, Mertersacker emptiness"

But hey ho, I'll keep it under wraps until we play em again.

• Like 1

When the lads were in the tunnel and news was coming through of the bug going through the club I tried picking out who wasn't looking too healthy and/or uncomfortable.

Sanchez was top of the list to me. Not sure if it was nerves or if he was one of the ones crook, but he genuinely didn't look comfortable prior to kick off.

I'm hoping that was the issue anyway.

We can only guess what affect that Virus had on us...

Fitness is so crucial in this modern game and it could have been the detrimental difference.

We still have players not up to speed and going in to a game like this with all their resources, you need your best team.

...Interesting after beating Arsenal, Dortmund trip up too.

looks like Liverpool are not without their troubles either

Its a marathon not a sprint......However, during the course of the season ,I would like to see a general improvement in Home performances, perhaps Arsenal is not the ideal team to look to turn the corner?

Just a bad day at the office, not the end of the world.

I'm heartened by our start to the season but I'm aware that we could lose several games on the trot. Even if we do we already look better than the last few seasons.

We go again ;)

I thought Sanchez did okay - not great, but I don't think he was bad, he needs to get rid of that extra touch they gave him in Spain - Cleverly made bad decisions on a number of occasions and I think he has much to work on too. 

I think we've learned that Grealish isn't ready to start games yet, he's got a lot to work on in terms of the defensive side of his game and he very nearly cost us a fourth goal with a really sloppy bit of positional play midway through the second half. He looks good on the ball and he's going to be a heck of a player, but I think we're using him the right way at the minute.

We'd persuaded ourselves about our invincible defence, and in fairness, with half an hour gone, I think we were starting to convince Arsenal too - they looked to be starting to question themselves - but the minute the first one went in, a bubble went pop, we panicked and they gained a massive boost of confidence - a combination of good play/poor play and circumstance which might actually do us good in the long term.

No complaints from me, they were the better side on the day, and they are a better side in general, but I think we've got something to work with here when everyone is well and fit. 

Totally agree on that one. Yesterday was the second time I have seen him live this season and I deliberately watched his defending as I had an inkling from the Hull game. He backs off too much from the attacking player and I think he needs to work on his decision making. There are times he takes players on when he should pass and times when he seems he just wants rid of the ball even if he could run at the opposition.

Don't get me wrong I think the lad is a great prospect but he is just that for the moment, a prospect. Much I as I want to see him in a Villa shirt I do wonder whether a season long loan to the Championship is best for his development.

As for Sanchez I thought he had a mare of a game. I think the kindest way to describe it is 'error strewn' but I appreciate (now) that our actual options were very limited. I think he will be fine but he is way off at the moment in the Premiership.

As for the game we were brilliant for the first thirty minutes but then we were then undone in four minutes of madness. The second half was snooze city and but for the virus I would have been strongly critical of the team and Lambert as it looked like we were trying to limit it to 0-3. Given the health of team maybe they were.

Edited by Harry