Euro 2020 Cities

andykeenan

BAKU

CASH MONIES. Land of fire and all that.

I place Azerbaijan and Qatar in the same boat really.

Why? The Europe - Asia border cuts through Azerbaijan. The city of Baku is on the Asian side...

I think you answered your own question.

No I didn't, the rest of my post clarifies the complications in the issue.  Again, I point to Turkey. Can Galatasaray play in UEFA competitions because they are on the European side of Istanbul while Fenerbahce are excluded because they play on the Asian side?  Should the entire country be kicked out because the capital city is in Asia?  Of course not, it's a bloody stupid notion so why is it different with Baku?   Like Chindie said, the border between Europe and Asia is blurred in a lot of places, the Ural Mountains, the Caucasus Mountains and the Bosphorus straight which cuts the city of Istanbul in half are obvious geographical borders but other places just use projections of lines drawn as extensions of these natural boundaries. Azerbaijan has land which is north of the Caucasus and west of the Urals, ie undeniably in Europe, and those parts are in the part of the country which is near to Baku. They have every right to be members of UEFA on geographical grounds if Russia and Turkey can get in. 

Israel is different, they have to be in UEFA because half of the countries in Africa and the Middle East refuse to recognise their existence as a nation (and their right to exist) so if they were in the CAF or the AFC who the hell would they play? 

Edited by The_Rev

The difference is Baku is over 2000 km from Istanbul, which is often seen as the border of Europe. You might as well count Syria and Iraq as European countries- though I doubt they will be hosting any international events soon.

That's not really how geography works.  It's virtually on the same line of latitude as Istanbul and if you follow the coast north you end up in... Russia, west of the Urals. 

BAKU

CASH MONIES. Land of fire and all that.

I place Azerbaijan and Qatar in the same boat really.

Why? The Europe - Asia border cuts through Azerbaijan. The city of Baku is on the Asian side...
I think you answered your own question.

No I didn't, the rest of my post clarifies the complications in the issue. Again, I point to Turkey. Can Galatasaray play in UEFA competitions because they are on the European side of Istanbul while Fenerbahce are excluded because they play on the Asian side? Should the entire country be kicked out because the capital city is in Asia? Of course not, it's a bloody stupid notion so why is it different with Baku? Like Chindie said, the border between Europe and Asia is blurred in a lot of places, the Ural Mountains, the Caucasus Mountains and the Bosphorus straight which cuts the city of Istanbul in half are obvious geographical borders but other places just use projections of lines drawn as extensions of these natural boundaries. Azerbaijan has land which is north of the Caucasus and west of the Urals, ie undeniably in Europe, and those parts are in the part of the country which is near to Baku. They have every right to be members of UEFA on geographical grounds if Russia and Turkey can get in.

At least with the example given of Istanbul some of it is in Europe. Its a strange setup where a city wholly in Asia is hosting a European event.

Should really be one of the first questions on the application form "Is the site in Europe? Yes/no."

But then we know such common sense does not exist in the world of Uefa/Fifa. Awarding a summer world cup to a place that can't host a summer world cup for example...

Edited by Genie

Let's face it, UEFA aren't as bat shit crazy as FIFA. Azerbaijan are never going to be able to host the Euros but by all accounts Baku has a lot going for it (whether you think ethically or otherwise). Good choice of cities. I can only think Cardiff has missed out as we have 3 stadiums on our fair British and Irish islands and 4 would have been overkill?

I think Baku is a great shout by uefa (which doesn't happen too often). They'll never be able to host a tournament so excellent that they a game, don't have to give a poor team automatic qualification. Baku supposedly an up and coming city, take football to a country where it's profile can still be raised and make the tournament truly stretch right across Europe.

I think Baku is a great shout by uefa (which doesn't happen too often). They'll never be able to host a tournament so excellent that they a game, don't have to give a poor team automatic qualification. Baku supposedly an up and coming city, take football to a country where it's profile can still be raised and make the tournament truly stretch right across Europe.

Plus their national stadium is named after one of the most important people in English football history. 

• Like 1

I've no gripes with this multi City going to new places. I know little about Baku but if it's an emerging city and nation for football then this is a great chance to let it host a top quality international. As has been said, it beats giving a nation an entire tournament which they struggle to handle and become the whipping boys due to automatic qualification.

• Like 1

Plus their national stadium is named after one of the most important people in English football history. 

Had to Google it, but yes, what a guy! :D

the Doug Ellis Arena?

the Doug Ellis Arena?

I think it's the linesman who gave England the goal that wasn't over the line in the 1966 world cup final. I've no idea what his name is though.

Â