Pre-Match Thread

maqroll

Taken from here http://arsenal-mania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=323212&start=1110

Y Sanogo ------ Hamstring Injury ------ no return date

N Monreal ----- Back Injury ------ ---- 20th Sep 14

M Debuchy ----- Ankle/Foot Injury ----- no return date

O Giroud ------ Ankle/Foot Injury ----- no return date

S Gnabry ------ Knee Injury ------ ---- no return date

T Walcott ----- ACL Knee Injury ------- 27th Sep 14

J Wilshere ---- Ankle Injury ----- ---- no return date

Some interesting thoughts, They seem a lot more worried than we do.

http://arsenal-mania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=324469

Edited by Kingman

Bit of a cliché but we have to be the 12th man in this, if VP is rocking from the off they won't like it one bit - let's give the Villa boys the best possible chance of getting something here. Personally people laughed at me before this run of "5 losses" when I said we'd start with a win at Anfield and win one of the home games - this could very easily be a win and give us a free go so to speak at the other fixtures.

Realistically we've done very well to be where we are even if we don't get anything from the next 4, but in my current state of euphoria let's go for the 12 - WE'RE GONNA WIN THE LEAGUE (AGAIN!)

This - good to see that VP is selling out well, even though I won't be there myself.

We're going to beat them, possibly even stuff them. I can feel it in me bones.

Anyone know if this match will be on TV? I've checked Sky and BTS... but doesn't look like it's on :(

I wouldn't, I'd stick with the same eleven that played at Anfield (Vlaar in for Baker, if he's back). Maybe bring in Sanchez. I think it's too big a game for Jack to start in, his lack of experience could cost us (I keep thinking of Albrighton giving away a free kick against Stoke (I think) which lead to a goal, when Houllier was in charge).

I won't call it as a win for us because football has a nasty way of biting you in the ass. But Arsenal have issues; confidence issues, injury issues and a defence that is long overdue a shake-up. 

We won't get a better chance IMO.

We will need to be massively disciplined against Arsenal at the weekend. In Sanchez, they have a great player that also works very hard for the team and, naturally, Welbeck will be looking to get his first goal for his new club.

I think if we tightly mark their creative players we'll struggle. Arsenal, unlike most other English teams, need so little time on the ball. They are capable of playing some very good one-touch stuff, so committing yourself to a tackle can easily see the ball being laid-off and past you before you know it.

I expect us to play with a very organised and firm shape, allowing Arsenal a lot of the ball but making it difficult for them to get in behind us. We would probably try to keep Gabby playing as high a line as possible to stop their defence and midfield the freedom to bomb forward - as one choice ball over the top sees us in on goal.

Set plays and the counter would be the way I'd approach the game personally with the aim of keeping another clean sheet first and foremost. A Senderos header to seal it 1-0 would do me perfectly.

Think Arsenal will rally after their disappointing mid week game, to prove a point. I think we'll play really well but Arsenal's quality will just be too much for us. So I'm thinking 0-1 but a really good display by us. 

We will need to be massively disciplined against Arsenal at the weekend. In Sanchez, they have a great player that also works very hard for the team and, naturally, Welbeck will be looking to get his first goal for his new club.

I think if we tightly mark their creative players we'll struggle. Arsenal, unlike most other English teams, need so little time on the ball. They are capable of playing some very good one-touch stuff, so committing yourself to a tackle can easily see the ball being laid-off and past you before you know it.

I expect us to play with a very organised and firm shape, allowing Arsenal a lot of the ball but making it difficult for them to get in behind us. We would probably try to keep Gabby playing as high a line as possible to stop their defence and midfield the freedom to bomb forward - as one choice ball over the top sees us in on goal.

Set plays and the counter would be the way I'd approach the game personally with the aim of keeping another clean sheet first and foremost. A Senderos header to seal it 1-0 would do me perfectly.

Sanchez and Welbeck are the two players I worry about. i think we can match their midfield and expose them on the counter attack but we haven't a lot of pace at the back and those two player plus Ramsey's runs could cause us problems..

• Like 1

Would anyone else be tempted to start Jack for this one? Arsenal's midfield aren't exactly Hull.

What are the reasons you would want to change a winning team?

We need to set up defensively like we did against Liverpool. Surrender 65% of the ball, but keep the shape. We'll have Cleverley, Delph, and Westwood protecting the centre halves and Gabby harrying everything around the centre circle. I think everyone agrees on that.

We'll get the odd counter, and the odd long ball for Gabby to chase, and maybe even a decent cross or two from Andi. But I suspect we'll be short on chances, and I think just about everyone would expect that.

By bringing Jack in for Kieran Richardson, you add a little bit more attacking threat. Kieran's been very good and it would be harsh to drop him, but he doesn't create as much as Jack does. And I reckon we'll be more short on creativity/chances than anything else. With Cleverly, Delph, and Westwood also helping out defensively, Jack wouldn't be left as exposed as he would be in a 4-4-2.

Also, it's Arsenal. I wouldn't fear for Grealish out there. Either in terms of getting kicked about or being too intimidated by their prawn sandwich fans.

What you lose is a solid performance from Richardson, and gain a little bit of a spark. Think we might need creativity more than another solid midfielder.

• Like 1

I wouldn't, I'd stick with the same eleven that played at Anfield (Vlaar in for Baker, if he's back). Maybe bring in Sanchez. I think it's too big a game for Jack to start in, his lack of experience could cost us (I keep thinking of Albrighton giving away a free kick against Stoke (I think) which lead to a goal, when Houllier was in charge).

Dear God, won't you think of donnie??
  • Like 4