Euro 2016 General Chat

MrDuck

Best Welsh side ever, Ashley Williams awesome again. 

Hmmm not sure on that one. Firstly it is a lot easier to qualify this time with 24 spots than previous times.  The wales team that narrowly missed out in '94 was going for a world cup with 24 teams. 02-03 team also pretty decent, but best side since then.

'58 side was not bad getting to the last 8 of the world cup, only losing to Brazil!

Also Wales also did qualify for the 1976 euro finals but they did not reach the semi final stage which was hosted as a tournament- often missed by commentator!

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

Best Welsh side ever, Ashley Williams awesome again. 

Hmmm not sure on that one. Firstly it is a lot easier to qualify this time with 24 spots than previous times.  The wales team that narrowly missed out in '94 was going for a world cup with 24 teams. 02-03 team also pretty decent, but best side since then.

'58 side was not bad getting to the last 8 of the world cup, only losing to Brazil!

Also Wales also did qualify for the 1976 euro finals but they did not reach the semi final stage which was hosted as a tournament- often missed by commentator!

I know its easier to qualify, but 4 pts against the team ranked 2 in the world. Obviously didn't see the the 58 which had the great John Charles.

In 76 they had Hungary, Austria and Luxemborg, in their group, none of those were top sides at that point. But ok that was a pretty good Welsh team with Toshack, James, Yorath, our own Leighton Phillips, 

I just think this one has the potential to be the best

I know  :(  but still better opposition than they faced in the group in 76. Wales have always had great individuals but this is a team and I've been really impressed with them. Think they would give England a run for their money. If only they could find a top centre-forward like Benteke. ................ ooh wait a bit!

To be fair if Wales finish first they'd have qualified irrespective of the numbers held at the Tournament, and now they've played Belgium twice they've got a very good chance of doing so now.

Would be quite the thing now,

"aright, you lot who haven't had a chance, we're now making it 24 team tournaments"

Wales: "righto, now we'll finish first anyway."

Might be ranked 2nd but Belgium are not that great of a team and just proves the world rankings arent reliable. Probably struggle to be top 16 for me in real rankings

Basically, they're not a great team at all, they have a couple of excellent players, and then a few overrated ones. I don't think their defence is that great, and they lack a genuine world class forward who will be prolific and consistent at that level. 

Â