Euro 2016 General Chat

MrDuck

Does anyone know if there is a playoff match for third place in the tournament? I am trying to organised the office sweeps and need to know if I should give a prize for 3rd :P 

I cant find a reference to the game and a google search only returns a lot of references to qualifying 3rd from the group stages so it looks like there will not be a game to decide 3rd and 4th.  

8 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Don't mind England tbh, Scotland, not so much (Off topic I know :D). Don't like Norn Iron at all, I'll be glad to see them flop miserably.

This reminded me of something. 

I earn a living teaching English to non-native speakers, and a few years ago I was teaching in a university in China. My course was called 'Essentials of British and American Culture' or something. Anyway, one part of this involved explaining what the UK actually is. I have enough difficulty explaining that to my Canadian wife, let alone Chinese teenagers. One of the questions on the exam was 'which countries make up the UK'. Most of the students left it blank, but one girl gave it the big college try, and wrote, and I quote, 'england, scotland, walse, new zealand and north iran-land'. 

I find thinking about them as 'north iran-land' very much puts a smile on my face. 

• Like 4

French railways look like they're gonna go ahead with a nine day strike. Whether you're a Guardian or Express reader you have to admit,you simply do not **** about with French unions and labour law.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/euro-2016-hopes-of-averting-french-rail-strikes-before-tournament-dim-a7068446.html

Hopes of an end to the week-old French rail strike before the start of the Euro 2016 football tournament this weekend dimmed on Monday.

A new deal for railway workers hammered out in all-night talks was rejected by a militant rail union. Another union was under pressure to prolong the strike in protest against reforms in French employment law.

Although the strike is weakening, with only 8 per cent of workers absent and fewer trains cancelled on Monday, the dispute now seems likely to drag into the first week of the European football championship.

Strikes and blockades in other industries are waning. The petrol famine caused by refinery strikes and panic buying two weeks ago has ended. Paris Metro and rubbish collectors’ strikes have had little impact.

The continuation of the rail strike would, therefore, be a serious blow to the government. Hundreds of thousands of football fans from all over Europe may find it hard to travel around France by train if the strike continues after  Euro 2016 opens in Paris on Friday.

President François Hollande’s government is holding firm on its market-friendly reforms in employment law. It has, however, pressured the state railway company the SNCF to make a generous offer to rail union in separate negotiations on working hours and conditions.

After 19 hours of talks, a draft agreement was reached yesterday morning which has to be approved by local union branches by next Tuesday. Two moderate unions said that they would ask their members to accept.

The most militant rail union, Sud-Rail, rejected the proposals as “mini-measures” and called for the strike to continue. The largest rail union, CGT-Cheminots, said in a statement that the proposed deal had been improved enough and said it's up to workers to decide whether they want to remain on strike or not. But the rail union came under pressure from its wider CGT union federation to continue the strike.

The CGT said it was “important to be know when to end a strike” but that workers’ objections to the labour law reforms “must be satisfied”. 

Government sources said that the CGT – which has led three weeks of sporadic industrial action against the reforms – now found itself  “in a corner.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Hodgson is the highest paid manager at the competition.

not surprised, Del Bosque was on a fraction of what Trappatoni was on at last Euros. I imagine Hodgson and MON are in top 4 for salaries, probably Low and Conte in between

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

En gland fans sprayed with tear gas, apparently chants of IS where are ya. If true absolute a holes. How do idiots like this manage to always get tickets?

people earlier in this thread moaning that no alcohol being served around England games and sadly these morons have given the authorities more ammunition 

On 5/25/2016 at 12:14, villa4europe said:

nope

will mean that fans will now spread across to smaller towns and villages where they can drink rather than going in to lens, if anything its going to make it near uncontrollable 

and if they are going to ban booze why have they picked us? why are we considered to be worse fans than anyone else? what evidence do they have from across european football last season to back that up? belgian fans caused more trouble in europe than we did last year

Not meaning to pick you out or anything but i remember you asked this question 2/3 weeks ago and thought it surprising.

In my mind, what has happened in Marseilles is nearly less surprising.

The English fans' problem is compounded by the fact that the antagonists know you have that element, so they'll target you above all others, knowing they've a good chance of getting a reaction.  And the police are always in a heightened state with England fans around, rightly or wrongly, so they will always use disproportionate force in order to stop anything before it can escalate.  I wouldn't be surprised if the police used last night's fighting as a final practice session.  If I was an England fan abroad I'd be acutely aware that there would be a crosshair on me at all times in public, both from the perspective of opposition fans and all security forces, be they police or stadium officials etc.  Which means England fans actually need a thicker skin than most in order not to react to inevitable incitement.  Sadly there is clearly an element with a thin skin who are dying to kick off.  I don't envy the 99% of decent England fans because I'd need my head on a pivot walking around city centres during major tournaments.

Sadly, the same logic means I probably wouldn't go to a Villa away trip in Europe, because you're too much of a target.

• Like 1

what happened in Marseilles... a few fans chanted a poor taste chant, local gangs went looking for trouble and found it, french police got heavy handed...

none of it was surprising, neither was the reaction that this has something to do with football when it doesnt

edit: BOF is bang on the money

Edited by villa4europe

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

people earlier in this thread moaning that no alcohol being served around England games and sadly these morons have given the authorities more ammunition 

Yep 100% agree complete idiots, if one day we want to bring the world cup here having incidents like this sin't going to help

26 minutes ago, davemk39 said:

I hate pages like that.  WTF is wrong with lists?  Normal text going from top to bottom?  Now I've to click 24 **** arrows to scroll through it.  Well they can **** off.  Similarly, this new craze the Brum Mail and others have of 'video articles', where you have to watch and listen to the journalist rather than read the poxy thing :rant:  It's utterly stupid, not least because they're removing anyone who can't listen to something in the workplace.

• Like 2

Â