Euro 2016 General Chat

MrDuck

When you take the "minnows" out of the qualifying, i.e. teams that have zero chance of making it, it makes it look even worse. Probably everyone from Luxembourg down (9 teams), and that's being generous.

Basically out of the 44 teams who could realistically make it (and like I said that's generous), 24 will make it. 55%

You have to try damn hard not to qualify for this.

Or, be Wales

• Like 1

How long before these qualifications become similar to those of other sports, such as basketball - where the star players of the best teams only ( eventually ) participate in the tourney, but skip the qualification entirely. Nations like Germany could very easily qualify without the likes of Hummels, Ozil, Kroos, etc. Club teams will be all over it, of course, as it spares their stars and UEFA will be mad cause no one would be interested in watching these god awful qualification week breaks. Actually the interest will be even lower after a few games when the top 2 teams will be clear in each or most groups.

thats not going to happen though, international teams would sanction their players for not turning up and if honest except Germany no other nation has the resources to play a B or under 21 team and expect to qualify

also believe it or not, a lot of continental players actually like playing for their country

I don't mean players refusing to go when they're called, I mean consensual agreement between the player and his national team that he'd not participate in the qualifiers or in certain games. Which doesn't mean teams will go with full 2nd or 3rd or U21 teams, just missing some of their stars. It happens a lot in other sports.

Oh and you mean that Spain don't have a weakened team good enough to finish 2 or even 3rd in a group with Luxembourg, Belarus, Ukraine, Slovakia and Macedonia? A lot of teams can do it.

I only like it because Czech wouldn't get in otherwise.  :D

they qualified for last 5 tournaments. im sure it would not have been a problem

Netherlands, Iceland and Turkey are in our group. I think we might beat Iceland, but Turkey is better than us at the moment. 

How long before these qualifications become similar to those of other sports, such as basketball - where the star players of the best teams only ( eventually ) participate in the tourney, but skip the qualification entirely. Nations like Germany could very easily qualify without the likes of Hummels, Ozil, Kroos, etc. Club teams will be all over it, of course, as it spares their stars and UEFA will be mad cause no one would be interested in watching these god awful qualification week breaks. Actually the interest will be even lower after a few games when the top 2 teams will be clear in each or most groups.

Good point actually. You see this a lot in Africa where players retire because they don't want to travel there and catch Ebola or Malaria or other stuff and they magically reappear a few months before the world cup.

So yeah wouldn't shock me if say a Lahm came back for Germany.

16 teams was perfect, 24 teams is ridiculous. 20 teams may have just about been feasiable in concept although not sure how the groups would've worked.

Only positive is we should get more British teams at the tournament which is long overdue although as we're seeing already some are predictably making hardwork of it!

Cyprus have improved a lot in the last 5 years...it's lazy and an insult when people lump them in with the likes of Andorra and San Marino. Currently winning 2-1 away in Bosnia aswell which is no mean feat...

I suppose one positive of the 3rd place play off situation is it does keep the group competitive until the end for 4th and possibly 5th place teams and that can improve the likes of Cyprus further.

• 9 months later...

Belgium don't look good either, loads of possession some great 1 touch passing but nothing in the final 3rd, crossing is piss poor, benteke looking poor too

sounds like them in the World Cup

Â