Martin Ødegaard - future star

Gompedyret

I wouldn't have advised him to join them but it isn't doomed to failure. This isn't the Real Madrid of 10 years ago where he would've had no chance. Perez (their president) seems to want to place more emphasis on youth development the long-term, they recently secured the signings of two other big prospects in Marco Asensio and Mink Peeters. Plus they have a B team, so at least he'll continue to get regular competative football, unlike if he had joined an English club.

I wouldn't have advised him to join them but it isn't doomed to failure. This isn't the Real Madrid of 10 years ago where he would've had no chance. Perez (their president) seems to want to place more emphasis on youth development the long-term, they recently secured the signings of two other big prospects in Marco Asensio and Mink Peeters. Plus they have a B team, so at least he'll continue to get regular competative football, unlike if he had joined an English club.

Yeah worst would've been going somewhere like Chelsea and being loaned out to Vitesse Arnham in two years time when everyone's forgotten him like McCheran. 

at times i think chelsea sign the youngsters just so no one else can, courtois and lukaku being obvious examples, chalobah got sent out on loan again yesterday, this time reading after burnley cancelled his loan there

It's also using financial clout to corner the market.   They sign hot prospects that they know other clubs will be interested in, if they turn out to be good enough for the first team (Courtois) then that's a bonus but the fact that they can flip all of these players for a profit is the real motivation in my opinion.  Chelsea got ridiculous money for Lukaku because they could play hardball when they were negotiating with Everton.  They didn't need to sell as he was on a long contract and they sure as hell didn't need the money in that transfer window.  They could say to Everton "make us an offer we cannot refuse or we will loan him out to one of the teams who will be near you in the table next season" and Everton are suddenly compelled to buy.   Imagine if Lukaku had gone to Spurs this season on loan? The fans would be rioting and every bad result Everton have had this season would be attributed to them not spending the money.    It's a great way to combat Financial Fair Play if you are already worth billions.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

just watched Norway vs Sweden and this guy is a talent. Made 2 or 3 brilliant passes and easily the best player on the park. Pity Norway dont have a striker or his good play will get wasted

just watched Norway vs Sweden and this guy is a talent. Made 2 or 3 brilliant passes and easily the best player on the park. Pity Norway dont have a striker or his good play will get wasted

Can we get him in on loan?

needs a bit of support, Nortveld looked decent as well,

felt bad for the guy Soderlund, got into great positions but no composure

He needs, as you say, a good striker. Johansen in midfield is probably our most consistenly good player, and Nordtveit or Tettey makes it a decent midfield. We have been lacking that very good striker since Carew retired, though. Søderlund is normally quite clinical but that is in the Tippeliga. King has never been a terrific goal scorer but he has other qualities. This team with Carew up front would arguably be our best side since the 90s.

If he were healthy and playing regularly, then he probably would be our best bet. I can't see him getting back to his best, though, sadly.

Â