Martin Ødegaard - future star

Gompedyret

Just as the crop of elite players' quality in Norway seems at an all time low, a ridiculously great talent has emerged.

He got his debut in the Norwegian Tippeligaen for Strømsgodset earlier this year, recently he also featured for both the Norwegian national side AND, a few days later, for the U21 team against Portugal.

His playing style makes him really fun to watch and easy to like.Technically excellent, plays without fears and has an ability to read the game that's well beyond his years. A Brasilian paper already compared him to Messi. Oh yeah, and he's still only 15.

This kid's gonna have a very interesting career, that's for sure. Is he going to be one of those shining stars that burns out young, for the world to wonder what could have been? And: Is Villa going to go for him? :-D Now is our only chance, I'm afraid. Alas, I think he will go to the likes of Ajax or some German club, not England at all.

Highlight reel from Tippeligaen so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8d1yoqryTU

His MotM performance vs Portugal U21 (Norwegian comments, but you catch the drift nonetheless)

• Like 1

Delap's throws are better. I think Ethan Moore holds more promise, as long as he stays away from Scuba Steve.

In all seriousness, good luck to the lad, I hope you're right and he turns out to be a future star, but there's been far too many 14-20 year olds that have had a lot of build up, a lot of hope, and just haven't cut it. It's a tough age. The transition between 'he will be very good' and 'he is very good' is the hardest part of a players career.

I think 15 is a very young age to have such pressure on your shoulders, reminds me of Freddie Adu.

When did Adu have all that hype surrounding him? When he was supposedly 15?

He was more like mid 20's rather than in his teens, hence never living up to the hype.

Edited by Avfc96

I think 15 is a very young age to have such pressure on your shoulders, reminds me of Freddie Adu.

Freddie Adu was never that young when he had all that hype surrounding him, more like early to mid 20's.

He only just turned 25, he was 14 when he was drafted into the MLS

Woosh! 

Though the people spreading caution are probably right, the game is littered with examples of players who look amazing against other 15 year olds but disappear completely when they reach the first team.  Sonny Pike anybody?  I would say ask your dad, but it would probably quicker to google him. 

I watch a lot of norwegian football, and this guy is actually good enough to start for most teams in the norwegian premier division, which is pretty insane as he's just 15. 

think he was voted motm in his debut for Norway a couple of weeks ago. Would have played against Italy in the qual. match if he hadnt picked up an injury against Portugal U21's. I hope he is able to handle the pressure, as he is hyped and regarded as a ''football messiah'' in Norway at the moment, thanks to our ridiculously poor national team.

Woosh! 

Though the people spreading caution are probably right, the game is littered with examples of players who look amazing against other 15 year olds but disappear completely when they reach the first team.  Sonny Pike anybody?  I would say ask your dad, but it would probably quicker to google him.

I googled my dad but it brought up nothing about Sonny Pike.

• Like 4

Woosh! 

The thing about Martin though is he is doing it against full grown senior professionals and there is no reaching the first team as he is already there.

He was on trial at Manchester United last year and I've followed his progress a bit. He's been on trial at most top clubs around Europe and I think it was his agent who said he isn't trying out for clubs anymore but rather clubs are trying out to get him. I believe his preferred move is to a mid-table Bundesliga club like a Monchengladbach or Stuttgart where he will get regular first team football. Didn't get to watch the U21 Portugal match but mates of mine who are Portuguese were blown away at his talent and impact on the Norway side. Even got praised by the Portugal U21 manager. No chance of him coming to England any time soon imo as I don't see clubs guaranteeing first team football to a 15/16 year old and no chance of him playing u21/reserves. Unbelievable really what he is doing now as a 15 year old in senior football.  

Heard an interview with hi Danish coach. He said they had tried to ease him into the team, but that he has blown all limits and part goals. He also said that it is part of his contract that the club can't put a limit to his training. Apparently he has trained so hard for many years that he can handle a ridiculous amount of training. Crazy really :-)

If Villa bought him we wouldn't be able to afford his wages beyond 18 years old so we'd sell him to Chelsea where he would be loaned to Ajax until 24 whence he'd be sold to Inter Milan for a decent career until 29 when he'd be bought by newly-promoted Premier League MK Dons.

If Villa bought him we wouldn't be able to afford his wages beyond 18 years old so we'd sell him to Chelsea where he would be loaned to Ajax until 24 whence he'd be sold to Inter Milan for a decent career until 29 when he'd be bought by newly-promoted Premier League MK Dons.

I entered this thread when I saw your post knowing it would be prize winning.

You never let me down sir

• 1 month later...
Â