Ryder Cup 2014

Jon

So, McGinley has picked his 3 wildcards:

Poults

Westwood

Gallagher

I think Westy can consider himself very lucky to be there, and Donald extremely unlucky. Luke is a top player, and ahead of both Poulter and Westy in the rankings. I'd have had Luke in ahead of Westy.

Poults simply had to be there for his energy and enthusiasm.

Full team:

Rory Mac

Henrik Stenny

Victor Dubuisson

Jamie Donaldson (from my home town of Macclesfield!)

Thomas Björn

Sergio Garcia

Martin Kaymer

Graeme McDowell

Justin Rose

quite a strong team that, though the states look strong too. Their wildcards announced later today ...

and the States team:

Keegan Bradley, Age 28: Rank: 23 Ryder Cups: 1 (P4 W3 L1 H0)

The 2011 US PGA champion formed a formidable partnership with Phil Mickelson at Medinah, winning three matches before losing to Rory McIlroy in the singles.

Hunter Mahan, Age: 32 Rank: 20 Ryder Cups: 2 (P8 W3 L2 H3)

The winner of the opening FedEx Cup play-off event in the US will make his third appearance. Lost the decisive match to Graeme McDowell in 2010, missed out on 2012.

Webb Simpson, Age 29: Rank: 32 Ryder Cups: 1 (P4 W2 L2 H0)

The 2012 US Open champion won two matches with Bubba Watson at Medinah, but lost two against Ian Poulter

Bubba Watson

Rickie Fowler

Jim Furyk

Jimmy Walker

Phil Mickelson

Matt Kuchar

Jordan Spieth

Patrick Reed

Zach Johnson

I think he made the right call, myself.

Donald is the one I'd have, grudgingly, left out of the three.

Donald is a top, top player though, and has a very impressive Ryder Cup record, and is above Poults and Westy in the current rankings, though not by that much.

But then, I'd want to take Poults every time, unless one of his arms fell off. 'Stevie G' deserved his pick.

Which leaves Westy vs Donald. Tough call. I'd have gone with Donald, but I can see a vlid argument either way. Both have excellent Ryder records.

Which leaves Westy vs Donald. Tough call. I'd have gone with Donald, but I can see a vlid argument either way. Both have excellent Ryder records.

Yep, it was a tough call. I wouldn't have had a problem either way. Edited by snowychap

• 4 weeks later...

is it wrong I quite want USA to win? I think it's good for the rivalry if they don't lose pretty much year on year.

Yes

edit: Expending on my answer more, I don't think previous results come into it. Each Ryder Cup starts equal and it's purely a one-off. Sure, USA haven't been successful recently but they go back in time a bit further and it was the US winning most of them.

I don't think any side starts as clear favourites. 

Edited by Xela

is it wrong I quite want USA to win? I think it's good for the rivalry if they don't lose pretty much year on year.

U wot mate [\img]

Horrible thing to say. Close your eyes, picture some fat clearing in the woods chanting "U-S-A" while saying words like "patronise" and spelling word like "color" and it will all go away soon...

yeah I know. I'm just terribly opposed to sporting monopoly regardless of which side I'm on. If Villa ever had 3-4 years of success I'd probably half hope someone else won something the following year. ( Yeah, never happening obviously ) 

Singles:

11:36: Graeme McDowell v Jordan Spieth

11:48: Henrik Stenson v Patrick Reed

12:00: Rory McIlroy v Rickie Fowler

12:12: Justin Rose v Hunter Mahan

12:24: Stephen Gallacher v Phil Mickelson

12:36: Martin Kaymer v Bubba Watson

12:48: Thomas Bjorn v Matt Kuchar

13:00: Sergio Garcia v Jim Furyk

13:12: Ian Poulter v Webb Simpson

13:24: Jamie Donaldson v Keegan Bradley

13:36: Lee Westwood v Jimmy Walker

13:48: Victor Dubuisson v Zach Johnson

Speculative selections in bold (where both players are in bold - a half).

I think it could still go down to the wire (but I hope it doesn't). Jamie Donaldson or Sergio to sink the winning putt.

(sd x 2)

Edited by snowychap

Â