Sweden: Stockholm-Gothenburg

Demitri_C

On 06/04/2022 at 01:18, Demitri_C said:

Just booked to go stockholm at the end of September,  i cant wait! Im expecting weather will be pants but its been on my bucket list for years.i cant wait!

If anyone has any advice please share. I have heard its expensive to eat out and drink. But i dont drink beer so that wont bother me too much 🙂

Its an  absolutely beautiful and wonderful city. I go every year or so for work (I work for a Swedish company) my advice is spend a day (or two!) in Gamla Stan (kind of a royal island in stockhom).

It has AMAZING food and if you like science fiction or boardgames then this 2 story place is wonderful (its huge on the inside!), better than any Sf bookstore I have visited in the USA. Really great.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g189852-d14161890-Reviews-Science_Fiction_Bokhandeln-Stockholm.html

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Its an  absolutely beautiful and wonderful city. I go every year or so for work (I work for a Swedish company) my advice is spend a day (or two!) in Gamla Stan (kind of a royal island in stockhom).

It has AMAZING food and if you like science fiction or boardgames then this 2 story place is wonderful (its huge on the inside!), better than any Sf bookstore I have visited in the USA. Really great.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g189852-d14161890-Reviews-Science_Fiction_Bokhandeln-Stockholm.html

I really cant wait to go. It looks great.

Although weather looks abut crap this week but never mind

• Like 1

All 3 big Stockholm clubs (Hammarby, Djurgården, AIK) are playing away this weekend sadly. Otherwise I highly recommend trying to get tickets to one of their home games. The standard of football might not be amazing but the atmosphere at especially Hammarby is quite spectacular. It's up there with some of the better in Europe.

3 hours ago, sne said:

All 3 big Stockholm clubs (Hammarby, Djurgården, AIK) are playing away this weekend sadly. Otherwise I highly recommend trying to get tickets to one of their home games. The standard of football might not be amazing but the atmosphere at especially Hammarby is quite spectacular. It's up there with some of the better in Europe.

Ah damn that would have been great! Would have loved to have gone never mind.

Whats the odds alm three away ffs

5 hours ago, sne said:

Yeah, cash definitely isn't king in Sweden anymore. As in it's very expensive but you have very little use for carrying cash around.

Is that all over sweden or just a stockholm thing?

I do want to go again definitely wont bother with cash now i know. How do the elderly manage with no cash there? If my gran was there she would struggle without cash. She wouldnt be able to open a bank account 

Edited by Demitri_C

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Is that all over sweden or just a stockholm thing?

I do want to go again definitely wont bother with cash now i know. How do the elderly manage with no cash there? If my gran was there she would struggle without cash. She wouldnt be able to open a bank account 

I'd say it's a all of Sweden thing. Might be different in smaller villages out in the countryside. It's absolutely an issue for senior citizens and there has been a push back but banks among others are pushing for a cash free society. 

5 minutes ago, sne said:

I'd say it's a all of Sweden thing. Might be different in smaller villages out in the countryside. It's absolutely an issue for senior citizens and there has been a push back but banks among others are pushing for a cash free society. 

Im suprised the swedes have accepted this. If i was a betting man people would go crazy here if they tried to implement that here.

Id imagine all the self employed people like barbers  builders would go berzerk etc 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Im suprised the swedes have accepted this. If i was a betting man people would go crazy here if they tried to implement that here.

Id imagine all the self employed people like barbers  builders would go berzerk etc 

Everyone and their mom (including mine) uses an app called Swish. It's a cash transfer app tied to banks and bank-id. Lots of stores and so on has it too. Not sure how it works for foreigners thou.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sne said:

Everyone and their mom (including mine) uses an app called Swish. It's a cash transfer app tied to banks and bank-id. Lots of stores and so on has it too. Not sure how it works for foreigners thou.

Annoyingly ive got about £300+ worth of kronas left as had to use card because some places were being difficult and plan out refused cash where i said id never return if they wouldn't take the cash thats how bad a couple places were  and refused cash. Even a waiter said to me when manager left he thinks its stupid there is no option for cash and card.

Even arlanda airport today refused cash. A airport refuses cash. So if you have no cards on your trip your actually screwed. Made no sense at all to me. Only major downer for me along with how expensive eating out is.

Everything else loved

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The banks don't want to handle cash and make it difficult and expensive for small businesses. They have stopped being banks here basically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoelVilla said:

The banks don't want to handle cash and make it difficult and expensive for small businesses. They have stopped being banks here basically.

So how did the self employed people take it? The barbers builders etc?

Wasnt there job losses? Also if there are mistakes do you not go in branch anymore or all on phone?

I would imagine in the uk they would not have tolerated it

On 03/10/2022 at 10:33, Demitri_C said:

So how did the self employed people take it? The barbers builders etc?

Wasnt there job losses? Also if there are mistakes do you not go in branch anymore or all on phone?

I would imagine in the uk they would not have tolerated it

Even the homeless people in Sweden have Swish so can transfer money to them. It seems just 8 percent of people in Sweden use cash now

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

Even the homeless people in Sweden have Swish so can transfer money to them. It seems just 8 percent of people in Sweden use cash now

Bloody hell thats un heard of

If their banking sector ever crashes they are screwed

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Bloody hell thats un heard of

If their banking sector ever crashes they are screwed

Cash is still perfectly viable, it's a convenience/cost thing for retailers and restaurants to "refuse"them. If shit hits the banking fan they'll take your cash quickly :)

We shifted a lot though and every time a bank, Visa or MasterCard has some form of downtime people flop around like morons demanding someone else to solve their issue. Not even having two different card issuers to give you an option cross some peoples mind, even though you can easily get them for free from banks.

Â