Sweden: Stockholm-Gothenburg

Demitri_C

On 1/29/2016 at 20:09, sharkyvilla said:

That's the hotel we stayed in, pretty good location and the rooms had both European and UK plug sockets.  It's worth going just for that IMO.  Two nights should be enough I reckon, if you want culture/museums/Abba-shite it's all roughly in the same place so you can do that in a day, perhaps do a boat trip round the archipelago and shopping and all that shit the other day.

Bloody left it a few days since this post and the hotel went up over £100! Booked to stay at Radisson in Solna which seems like good location from what I have read.

The thing that is confusing is all the poxy airports around Stockholm!!

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Bloody left it a few days since this post and the hotel went up over £100! Booked to stay at Radisson in Solna which seems like good location from what I have read.

The thing that is confusing is all the poxy airports around Stockholm!!

I think Arlanda is the main airport and has a quick train to the city.  I think all the airports are a fair distance from the city.  Just don't get a taxi!  They cost a fortune over there.

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think Arlanda is the main airport and has a quick train to the city.  I think all the airports are a fair distance from the city.  Just don't get a taxi!  They cost a fortune over there.

yeah I thought as much but there was no flights that go from there. they were all flying from Skavsta which seems abit far out. Thanks for the tip on taxis, hopefully there is a metro station close by..

Arlanda is the main airport and was maybe 20 minute drive but Skavsta is if you fly with Ryanair. Skavsta is at least 1.5 hour bus into Stockholm, think it cost about 100SEK

Edited by Zatman

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Arlanda is the main airport and was maybe 20 minute drive but Skavsta is if you fly with Ryanair. Skavsta is at least 1.5 hour bus into Stockholm, think it cost about 100SEK

Unfortunately the airline that wasnt ridiculously priced in the package was ryanair for the dates I needed. suprising how little airlines fly to Sweden. Yeah It seems its about hour and half away. I take it you can book these buses on the day from the airport or is it better doing from over here?

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I usually just buy a return ticket from the machine in the airport, they dont take cash so best have your card prepared when get off plane. They go every 30 minutes or so, not a problem to get one

Thanks mate 

On 2/4/2016 at 18:06, Tegis said:

For food, (a bit pricey) I recommend a visit to Gondolen

Can be difficult to get a table so call in advance

bildspel01-rest.jpg

gondolen_mittrad.jpg

07ecf1b6f27443e71e1b688f7feea557.jpg

http://www.eriks.se/gondolen/

That place looks nice, like a bit of sea food!

Does anyone know what times their metro line srun to during week and weekend? Hope its later than Londons 

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That place looks nice, like a bit of sea food!

Does anyone know what times their metro line srun to during week and weekend? Hope its later than Londons 

I think the metro is closed between 01-05 at nights.  Taxi from the central to Solna will set you back about 15£ I reckon

http://sl.se/en/

I moved to Stockholm about 6 months ago so have been getting to know it a bit recently. You can book the bus from the airport in advance, I think it might be a bit cheaper but not sure. You can buy a return and it is valid for 3 months you just print out a boarding pass type page with a qr code and show it to the driver, he/she will scan it. The company is called flygbussarna.

For getting about in the city you can get a tourist travel card, there is a sl shop in the central station - which is connected to the bus terminal. Otherwise you can buy them at pressbyrån shops and these are everywhere. The buses do not accept cash but you can buy single travel tickets with the sl app. The travel cards that last a certain time ie 24hours, 48hours etc are also accepted on the shuttle ferry that goes between slussen and djurgården (where most of the museums etc are).

I don't know what time the metro stops running, but I think I got home at about 4 on Sunday morning using it last week. I do not know when the trains to solna stop though.

I would recommend pharmarium in Gamla Stan for a cocktail, if you like that sort of thing! It is nice but pricey and you probably have to book - this can be done online.

22 hours ago, S said:

I moved to Stockholm about 6 months ago so have been getting to know it a bit recently. You can book the bus from the airport in advance, I think it might be a bit cheaper but not sure. You can buy a return and it is valid for 3 months you just print out a boarding pass type page with a qr code and show it to the driver, he/she will scan it. The company is called flygbussarna.

For getting about in the city you can get a tourist travel card, there is a sl shop in the central station - which is connected to the bus terminal. Otherwise you can buy them at pressbyrån shops and these are everywhere. The buses do not accept cash but you can buy single travel tickets with the sl app. The travel cards that last a certain time ie 24hours, 48hours etc are also accepted on the shuttle ferry that goes between slussen and djurgården (where most of the museums etc are).

I don't know what time the metro stops running, but I think I got home at about 4 on Sunday morning using it last week. I do not know when the trains to solna stop though.

I would recommend pharmarium in Gamla Stan for a cocktail, if you like that sort of thing! It is nice but pricey and you probably have to book - this can be done online.

Thanks for that info mate. Will definitely check out that bar. i take it Gamla Stan is the main place for bars? From the places I have researched seems awfully expensive for food and drinking!

How was it? Worth going to?

Oh yes definitely for a few. The atmosphere is spot on feels like your walking into a real Viking setting and there is live medieval music too.

Have your self a nice tankard of mead.

Look out for this...

c575831488ae2d9574d7cf9f249ef00d.jpg

Bear in mind it's a themed bar in the middle of Gamla Stan so a bit on the pricey side.

I didn't realise that Gondolen thing was a restaurant.  It was closed when we went, must have been being refurbed.  Got a cracking view from the walkway bit though.  One place we had a pint in had the toilets in a dungeon underneath, I don't think it was a Viking pub but it was pretty scary having a shit in a dungeon.  The confusing thing was the key was attached to a whisk, I thought it might be because the flush didn't work and you had to whisk your mess but it was just used as a big key ring so nobody lost it.

• 1 month later...
On 27/01/2016 at 12:01, Demitri_C said:

So I obviously didnt end up going Stockholm for the stag as didnt seem like a stag place. i am now considering taking  a girl I am seeing for her birthday for 2 nights in April. Found flights and hotel for the Hilton Stockholm Slussen in city center for £275 for both of us which is quite cheap. Is Stockholm a good place for couples? And is two nights enough?

When in April are you going? The Swedish celebrate Valborg on April 28th to May 1st and it is the end of winter celebrations. If you are there at that time I would strongly suggets getting the train up to Uppsala, which is about 30 miles north and an easy train ride. I lived there for a year and it is the student capital of Sweden (don't let that put you off) and the town goes crazy for Valborg (fancy dress boat races, street parties, concerts and tonnes of beautiful women in a party mood). It is something I will never forget and strongly recommend experiencing.

Â