Sweden: Stockholm-Gothenburg

Demitri_C

Ive done Gothenburg , Amsterdam . Prague . Budapest , Riga , Berlin  and Krakow .   If I had to go back to one of them for a stag do it would be in this order ;   Krakow  Riga  Amsterdam  Prague  Berlin Budapest  and lastly Gothenburg .

I'd put Amsterdam a clear last in that list

It's where your mum and dad go for a weekend and then visit the red light district to show they aren't fuddy duddy

Dislike would be a strong word but it just has very little appeal IMO

For the record (from that list ) :

Krakow Budapest Berlin Prague Riga

Gothenburg Amsterdam .

Edited by tonyh29

whats so good about krakow heard they dont like us brits very much other there and they dont speak any english

i would not put prague or amsterdam ahead of budapest. thought prague was just average. its all strip joints, how many can you possibly go to? although steaks were decent

going riga for my friends stag next year so will get that one off the list ;-)

Bratislava is hell on earth and one to

I visited Bratislava a few weeks back, as I visited a few European cities this summer,. Bratislava was by far the worst I visited. From the cities I visited this summer I would personally recommend Budapest or Berlin for a stag, probably lean towards Budapest.

whats so good about krakow heard they dont like us brits very much other there and they dont speak any english

i would not put prague or amsterdam ahead of budapest. thought prague was just average. its all strip joints, how many can you possibly go to? although steaks were decent

going riga for my friends stag next year so will get that one off the list ;-)

At one bar we went to a few locals clearly wanted to fight and then threw nazi salutes at us ( guess nobody told them what is located about 30 mins away from them ) but it never felt more than bravado and that it was going to kick off ...

It's mainly the fact that you have a big square and lots of the bars are located around it... Lot of them are underground and deodorant seems to be in short supply in krakow though !!

Oh and you will want to kill the trumpeter after a few hours ;)

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

I visited Bratislava a few weeks back, as I visited a few European cities this summer,. Bratislava was by far the worst I visited. From the cities I visited this summer I would personally recommend Budapest or Berlin for a stag, probably lean towards Budapest.

Can I ask what was so bad about it?

Also consider Krakow if you've not been , but the airport is a way out of town if you fly budget airlines

Went to Krakow for a stag a few months ago, brilliant weekend. It's actually a really nice city, we turned up (all 21 of us) and went straight out on a guided bike tour which I'd definitely recommend, felt a bit sorry for our guide but she soon got in the swing of things and allowed us to turn it into a bar crawl, probably helped that all of us tipped her 20 zloty. Auschwitz is only an hours drive away and the whole trip was worth it just for that. And then there's the shooting ranges, the 20p pints and the strip clubs..

Definitely a place worth visiting stag do or not.

Edit: Worth mentioning there's no short supply of attractive women there either.

Edited by Delphouneso

Also consider Krakow if you've not been , but the airport is a way out of town if you fly budget airlines

Went to Krakow for a stag a few months ago, brilliant weekend. It's actually a really nice city, we turned up (all 21 of us) and went straight out on a guided bike tour which I'd definitely recommend, felt a bit sorry for our guide but she soon got in the swing of things and allowed us to turn it into a bar crawl, probably helped that all of us tipped her 20 zloty. Auschwitz is only an hours drive away and the whole trip was worth it just for that. And then there's the shooting ranges, the 20p pints and the strip clubs..

Definitely a place worth visiting stag do or not.

Edit: Worth mentioning there's no short supply of attractive women there either.

did you try the Hot beer  ? ... I quite liked it but some of my friends refused to talk to me for a while after I ordered a load of it for us :)

( I'm guessing you could recreate it at home by putting a pint in the microwave for 60 seconds :) )

I think the salt mine is also worth a visit , though I wouldn't suggest it on a stag do for fear of being branded "ghey"

Edited by tonyh29

One of my Polish students suggested going to the salt mine but we didn't have time in the end, I do intend to revisit Krakow at some point in the future though. And no I didn't try the hot beer, although one night we ended up in one of the underground bars who had their own home made spirit, it was a huge bottle about three feet high with a skull and crossbones as a label, the murky red liquid inside was probably the worst thing I've ever drank, and we forced the stag to do a 100ml shot.

One thing I would say if any smokers intend to go to Krakow is take plenty of tobacco with you, I found it impossible to find tobacco anywhere the shops only seemed to sell straights.

One of my Polish students suggested going to the salt mine but we didn't have time in the end, I do intend to revisit Krakow at some point in the future though. And no I didn't try the hot beer, although one night we ended up in one of the underground bars who had their own home made spirit, it was a huge bottle about three feet high with a skull and crossbones as a label, the murky red liquid inside was probably the worst thing I've ever drank, and we forced the stag to do a 100ml shot.

One thing I would say if any smokers intend to go to Krakow is take plenty of tobacco with you, I found it impossible to find tobacco anywhere the shops only seemed to sell straights.

ahh yes  ..I've been to that bar and had the same drink ..one of our group went home after drinking it  ( to much abuse :) )

Carpe Diem was more my thing .. spit and sawdust with rock music ... there was some long haired local playing air guitar in there and my mate and I ended up in a contest with him  .. i pulled off an air guitar with a reverse flip type move and thought I'd clinched it but then  he pulled out a tennis ball to use as some form of virtual effects pedal as he took it up a notch and blew us away  .. though I keep meaning to check the rule book on this :)

• Like 1

Time for me to throw in my 2p

I really enjoyed Tallinn. Beautiful old town, friendly people and good selection of bars.. had two cracking nights out there... and that was on a Monday and Tuesday. Wasn't massively busy (to be expected) but old town is small enough that the decent bars were doing a good trade. Also did 2 nights in Helsinki prior and that was decent, but more expensive. The Finn's sure can pile the booze away! Saw more than a handful of people so drunk, they were falling on their faces! Mainly women! If the stag do is 4 nights then take in both places, only a couple of hours away from each other on the hydrofoil. Also took in Vilnius (recommended) and Riga (meh) on the same trip

I also really enjoyed Copenhagen when I went and didn't find it that pricey. No more than what I pay here (paying nearly £5 a pint in some Birmingham bars now). Good nightlife as well. If you stay longer you can take the train to Malmo and do a night there. 

Krakow was good (this was 2007) and rate the bars and clubs better than Prague, although as a city, Prague is more beautiful.

Berlin can be amazing but nightlife is so spread out and a lot of it is word of mouth so you ideally need local knowledge to get the best out of it. I've been twice, first time I knew someone who lived there and had a great time. Second time, we did no research and it was pretty poor.

Edited by Xela

Can I ask what was so bad about it?

It seemed that everybody was out to rip you off which somebody else said earlier. Small things from overcharging in the taxi by almost triple compared to the same trip the day before, rounds completely different price depending on who served you in the bar. Obviously only small things, but whole place wasn't really for me. The main square wasn't bad, but not as good as others I have been too.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking to do Stockholm for couple nights then get this boat to Tallinn to finish the stag off

Can anyone tell me more info about this? Does it only go from Sweden? If so how long does it take?

And finally what is it like on the boat is their things on there to do?

• 1 year later...

So I obviously didnt end up going Stockholm for the stag as didnt seem like a stag place. i am now considering taking  a girl I am seeing for her birthday for 2 nights in April. Found flights and hotel for the Hilton Stockholm Slussen in city center for £275 for both of us which is quite cheap. Is Stockholm a good place for couples? And is two nights enough?

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It be nice enough for a couple but be bloody expensive ;) Weather wouldnt be brilliant so could see most of the city sights in that time, its not a huge city of sorts so easily doable 

Yeah I heard it is mate but not really intending to do heavy drinking with the girl I am seeing. was just wondering if two nights is enough there

unless you have ambitious plans to travel outside then 2 nights should be perfect in the city. arrive early on the friday and leave sunday evening would be certainly enough time to see the city and sights

On 28 January 2016 at 12:01, Demitri_C said:

So I obviously didnt end up going Stockholm for the stag as didnt seem like a stag place. i am now considering taking  a girl I am seeing for her birthday for 2 nights in April. Found flights and hotel for the Hilton Stockholm Slussen in city center for £275 for both of us which is quite cheap. Is Stockholm a good place for couples? And is two nights enough?

That's the hotel we stayed in, pretty good location and the rooms had both European and UK plug sockets.  It's worth going just for that IMO.  Two nights should be enough I reckon, if you want culture/museums/Abba-shite it's all roughly in the same place so you can do that in a day, perhaps do a boat trip round the archipelago and shopping and all that shit the other day.

Tonight the two biggest firms in Stockholm(AIK and Djurgården) went after the "immigrants" living around the Central station. Sweden is a bit broken but not so much that you can't have a nice weekend in Stockholm. I hope.

Â