• Poor
    • Very poor
  3. 3. Refereeing performance

• Very good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very poor

Who was it that said in the pre-match thread that Weimann and Gabby would score just to prove a point?

Villarocker

Posted Today, 01:23 PM

Gabby and Weimann will both net today, just to silence their critics.

• Like 2

Guzan         -  7.  

Hutton         -  7

Senderos    -  8

Vlaar           -  8

Cissokho     -  8

Westwood   -  8

Delph          -  8

Richardson -  8

Zog             -  6

Gabby        -  8

Weimann    -  9(MOTM)

Subs.

The Rock   -  6

Grealish     -  8

Bent           -  4

Lambert     -  9

I thought Weimann was fantastic today, a goal and an assist and was tracking back the whole game. Gabby put in a great shift also and took his goal really well.  Westwoods set-pieces were great and he was inches away from making it 3-0 with the free that hit the post.  Delph was class and caused loads of problems for Hull.  The whole backline was solid and Hull didn't really have a clear cut opportunity epart from the goal. Grealish was top class when he came on and got 3 of them booked within a few minutes of each other, was quite funny.   UTV

Edited by Bunnski
  • Like 1

very pleased with this, very difficult run of fixtures coming up and i expect little to come from them, but gotta stick with the lads as we know now that they're better against the weaker teams and we'll get back to winning ways after a miserable couple of months (potentially)

not sure that Delph deserves too much praise, this England call-up seems to have gone to his head and although he had a good game he also wasted 3/4 good opportunities with very poor shots.

impressed with Westwood, Weimann, Gabby and Grealish off the bench. back 4 + Guzan = business as usual which is fantastic to see

MoM Gabby by a fair bit for me, I see some have given it to Delph who was his usual self playing well but it was Gabby's effort in the 1st half that really set the tone.

Very pleased, the 1st half was a joy to watch. I just hope Sanchez doesn't make a habit of giving soft free kicks away on the edge of the box.

Great to see Jack Grealish doing well in the time he was on the pitch, also a mention for DB it would appear he is the new scape goat he really wasn't that bad.

• Like 1

Lovely win ! Fantastic first half, Ok second half.

Great show from Grealish. Sorry Lambert, Gabby and Andy , You've happily got me wrong !

Come on Liverpool ! Let's beat them ! Won't be easy ask though !

We made it hard for ourselves today, But I wouldn't say the goal was from a horrible defending ! hopefully it won't  harm the defence confidence nor Cissokho's.

Special mention for Richardson, seems to be the unsung hero of these first 3 games.

Hasn't done much in an attacking sense but his constant running has definitely made it harder to get at our defenders.

If im being brutally honest i still hope cleverley comes in to replace westwood, everyone seems to love him but he just doesn't do enough for me, he was ok today in fairness.

Also Sanchez looked out of his depth i thought today, obviously its early days but against hull at home when we are 2-0 up you expect a bit more from him i think, there were a few times when the game just passed him by and his telling contribution was a pointless foul that led to their goal, can only get better from him really.

Now to get this 5 run game out of the way!

Edited by AVFCDAN

Can somebody tell me what Grealish did well?

Was he dribbling it past everybody?

Passing and moving?

He took a massive amount of pressure off the back line at a point where we were cracking.  He was willing to take the ball down and not treat it like a hot potato that more seasoned pros would have.  His footwork invited fouls when Hull were pushing really hard.

There was also a nice exchange with Delph towards the end which resulted in a nice reverse pass to put Delph through, a nice touch of quality.

I owe you all an apology. I usually have a Villa scarf hanging on my window, but prior to the season starting it came down. We had a good start and as I was sorting out this week (before the cup game) I found the scarf, it had somehow fallen behind a stand. I put it up and we lost midweek, it made me wonder if it was a curse.

I took it down yesterday.

So... Sorry for destroying our cup dreams.

• Like 2

MoM Gabby by a fair bit for me, I see some have given it to Delph who was his usual self playing well but it was Gabby's effort in the 1st half that really set the tone.

Very pleased, the 1st half was a joy to watch. I just hope Sanchez doesn't make a habit of giving soft free kicks away on the edge of the box.

Great to see Jack Grealish doing well in the time he was on the pitch, also a mention for DB it would appear he is the new scape goat he really wasn't that bad.

Bent is just so out of it at the moment! Looks slow, overweight and is missing chances he would normally bury! I think his time has passed!

.... but gotta stick with the lads as we know now that they're better against the weaker teams and we'll get back to winning ways after a miserable couple of months (potentially)...

Err the world + wife knows exactly the opposite... hopefully this wont reverse.

Loved it, every minute, are all the Bent haters just picking on him cos they cant have a go at Gabby and Andi ? , he was not great nor was Charlie but Charlie worked hard and Bent was where he was supposed to be, did not hurt anyway thats for sure .. and he was offside ONCE , so shoot him ?

Good result and a welcome 3 points. Bit nervous towards the end after Hull scored but every little helps.

We have a really tough period of fixtures coming up and I really hope we can come through them relatively unscathed.

Good first half and decent enough first part of the second half.

A bit shaky after we rather gifted them the goal but that's the sort of game we'd probably have ended up drawing in the last couple of seasons.

7 points is more than I thought we'd have after 3 games and it's a more than useful tally for the point made a couple of posts above (i.e. the run of games to come).

While not quite the best player on the pitch Gabby was the catalyst for the win. Absolutely terrorised their defence and kept harassing their ball carriers which he doesn't do enough of.

Delph was rubbish for the first and last 15 minutes and superb for the middle 60. Defence held up well under pressure but I thought Hutton went a bit wayward and was not quite up to the standard of the first few matches.

Grealish certainly got a brutal welcome and it was a clear tactic that they were going to share a few yellow cards around to test him out. Stupid approach though because I suspect Jack is almost daring them to do it by not wearing shin pads and three months time when Jelavic and the little ginger leprechaun are serving a suspension for crucial matches they will wonder what the point of it all was.

Besides, I suspect Guzan's embrace at the end there was probably the most frightening thing Jack has had to deal with in his career thus far. 

I owe you all an apology. I usually have a Villa scarf hanging on my window, but prior to the season starting it came down. We had a good start and as I was sorting out this week (before the cup game) I found the scarf, it had somehow fallen behind a stand. I put it up and we lost midweek, it made me wonder if it was a curse.

I took it down yesterday.

So... Sorry for destroying our cup dreams.

W****r!