Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

Everton apparently pulled out because they wanted a loan and Man Utd would only do a permanent deal. So this makes no sense.

I would guess Everton pulled out for the same reason we did - wages. And now Man Utd have realised it's too late they're willing to pay a percentage.

Or Cleverley realised he'd royally cocked up (well, his agent did).

• Like 1

Think he's a good option. I wanted him here. Felt he had a point to prove and would work hard to get into our team and get rid of his scapegoat reputation. Since then though he's told us he doesn't want to sign he prefers Everton, wanted stupid wages for a player in his position and has shown himself to be money grabbing, and putting us bottom of a list of clubs to go to despite what we can offer him. That disappoints me so I really hope he comes in, says the right things and proves doubters like myself wrong because he's got more damage to repair now than he did on the 30th August

• Like 1

If he can help get points on the board.. who cares. If he leaves in January so be it.. we will go sign someone else. Hes a good player and will improve our depth. What if Delph got injured.. who would you play if Cleverley doesnt sign?

• Like 1

Surely if it's a loan, then won't Everton be back in for him? 

Only if they submitted an extension application to the Premier League before the deadline stating that a fee had been agreed etc...not sure this was ever the case with Everton. 

I would imagine a loan for 6 months would benefit Cleverly because:

1. we get a decent player for a large part of the season;

2. Cleverly still has all options in place come january(particularly if he plays really well);

The biggest loser is ManU (albeit they are mitigating that as best they can) as they probably now won't get anything other than a small loan fee and him off their books for the rest of the season.  I say the rest of the season because come January Cleverly can sign a pre-contract with any club and it might therefore be useful for him to be able to be loaned out to that club for the final few months of the season or sign for them for a relatively small/ nominal fee.

I'd be surprised if there was an option to buy as I doubt we could afford the wages Celverly would want on a free!  He could even bench warm for 4 months to May quite easily if he had to go back ot Man U having had a decent stint at us.  People wont forget him.  Desparation also strikes in January where people pay silly money.

Seems to suit all parties to a degree but i suspect that it suggests he may not be looking at us as a long term prospect. 

Perhaps ManU are delaing with us and not Everton on a loan deal because Everton caused the problems in the first place and they took umbridge with that whereas we dealt with them openly and honestly as we always seem to do regarding transfers.

Edited by CannockVillan

My take on the whole saga is that he agreed a move to us in principal above the other clubs interested, with no offer from Everton on the table at the time. Obviously Everton came in at the 11th hour and the chance to work with Martinez was something that turned his head.

For whatever reason it seems that Everton and Man U couldn't finalise their terms leaving us and the player in limbo.

All of this is plausible without his wage demands being any factor whatsoever. Everton are in a better state than us for sure but, depending on the level of commitment to deal with AVFC, I think both the player and his agent have been quite disingenuous - but nothing I personally can't look past.

I would very much doubt £80k was on the table at either club, despite what Pat Murphy says. 

Â