Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

If that article about us getting Cleverley means Hull get Diame then we need to call this deal off! Diame is a better option IMO, and cheaper. That said I will support any signings, but seems mad not to try for Disme with that release clause

If he really wants to play, he should lower his wage demands. He'll be fool. Otherwise he'll rot on United's bench.

I've never really got this argument on any player.  I understand players get paid stupid amounts and playing football is what we all want to do but I'm wondering how many people would be happy to reduce their wages by 50%.  I understand the argument of playing regular and all that but given the short careers of footballers and to be fair we aren't a glamorous team.   We will still likely fighting at the wrong end of the table despite our great start and he does play (although inconsistently) for Man Utd and has no affiliation with Aston Villa and at the end of the day it's still his job and to attain enough money in a short career.

• Like 1

Reportedly, Cleverley is only on 30k/week at United so I doubt we'd be reducing his wages by 50%. 60k/week is silly money, and he wouldn't get that from any of his potential suitors -- not Everton, not Valencia, certainly not here, and not at Hull either.

Honestly, I don't understand the excitement over Cleverley. I don't. He may well be a good signing but not great one. I really hated to the see the poor man abused by ManU and England fans last year, but it's hard to see how he works with Villa's fast counter-attacking style. He seems like the sort of midfielder who's going to slow things down in the name of possession. 

Edited by Shifted To Neutral

Honestly, I don't understand the excitement over Cleverley. I don't. He may well be a good signing but not great one. I really hated to the see the poor man abused by ManU and England fans last year, but it's hard to see how he works with Villa's fast counter-attacking style. He seems like the sort of midfielder who's going to slow things down in the name of possession. 

Maybe he has been targeted by Lambert to help the team keep possession of the ball. Against Hull in the 1st half we kept the ball and didn't surrender the ground by defending deep in the 2nd half we did the opposite, sat deep and Hull kept the ball for long periods. I can't believe Lamberts half time instructions would tell the players to do this so maybe finally he is trying to do something about preventing it.

Also from what I have heard Cleverly plays better in a fast paced team, guess we will soon find out as today's D-day.

Maybe he has been targeted by Lambert to help the team keep possession of the ball. Against Hull in the 1st half we kept the ball and didn't surrender the ground by defending deep in the 2nd half we did the opposite, sat deep and Hull kept the ball for long periods. I can't believe Lamberts half time instructions would tell the players to do this so maybe finally he is trying to do something about preventing it.

Also from what I have heard Cleverly plays better in a fast paced team, guess we will soon find out as today's D-day.

I hope you're right! Given the interest, I can only think that the powers that be must grasp something about Cleverley that I fail to see. 

Reportedly, Cleverley is only on 30k/week at United so I doubt we'd be reducing his wages by 50%. 60k/week is silly money, and he wouldn't get that from any of his potential suitors -- not Everton, not Valencia, certainly not here, and not at Hull either.

Apparently his contract is also highly incentivised though, so big appearance/win/goal bonuses! But who knows..

to be fair you cant blame him for trying. Theres worse players on more money than that.. even at our club.

Can't blame him for trying but going from United to Villa and asking for double the wages? I think he has it backwards.

That Telegraph article implies that Lambert might still be trying to get a deal done for Holtby.

Hope so. If nothing else, we need a backup plan if "Plan Cleverly" hits the fan.

Jan Agre Fjortoft said last night Holtby to Hamburg looks a done deal and he is usually apot on regarding german football,I really think Cleverley will do a job for villa but not for 60k a week!

Â