Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

In 2012-13, when United won the title, Fergie started Cleverly in 18 league matches.

He would've started all 38 of United's league matches, but he's crap and not good enough.

Good enough for whom? A team trying to win the league or a team trying to stay in it?

I was being sarcastic. He's obviously good enough for us.

In 2012-13, when United won the title, Fergie started Cleverly in 18 league matches.

He would've started all 38 of United's league matches, but he's crap and not good enough.

Good enough for whom? A team trying to win the league or a team trying to stay in it?

I was being sarcastic. He's obviously good enough for us.

Sorry mate, did not compute.  :P

5YwtAc7.jpg

United are meant to 

If you take away Milner's last season for us, is there really much of a difference between him and Cleverley.

Are you serious. Milner was an absolute engine, complete box to box player with a decent strike as well. That's two more things that Cleverley doesn't possess.

Milner's final season he was brilliant when he played centrally and that's what earned him his big money move to Man City but before and after that I think he's been pretty average, a good realiable Premiership player but nothing special. Reminds me a bit of Steve Stone if i'm honest, think he's overrated on here. But at the same time i'd be happy to have him back here in the hope that he'd be played centrally and that he could recapture his form from his last season with us.

Wash your mouth out! He wasn't a one season wonder. He only looked average when he was on loan from the barcode splaying on the wing. Though he looked great as soon as we signed him. Anyway my point is, Milners party piece is his ability (heart and fitness) to always be in the game, offensively or defensively. What's cleverleys strength?

I'm a bit too young to really remember but we're people this underwhelmed when we signed McGrath?

Wasn't the internet then or was very early days (as came out around the time we signed McGrath) and no proper message boards like here so hard to judge!

I was 9 and was absolutely thrilled to bits that i went and brought ''Shoot'' magazine that had a cover picture of Paul McGrath & Kent Nielsen on

People still spoke to each other in the 80's you know !

Oh, i'm sorry... i really didn't know that!! no need to be sarcastic pal!!

idgaf.gif

I think you'll find that he was injured for a large chunk of those 20 games he missed.

FWIW, he had Man United's best pass rate percentage last year, and was ranked 18th overall in the division.

He tends to pass sideways, doesn't take chances.
So did Petrov.....
So we will have two Petrov type players in Westwood and Cleverley? Sounds great. Nothing like adding something different.
My point was that Petrov did just that and won poty. Would it be so bad if Cleverley was that player?
  • Like 1

FWIW, he had Man United's best pass rate percentage last year, and was ranked 18th overall in the division.

So did Petrov.....
So we will have two Petrov type players in Westwood and Cleverley? Sounds great. Nothing like adding something different.
My point was that Petrov did just that and won poty. Would it be so bad if Cleverley was that player?

He isn't fit to wear Petrov's shirt. He isn't that player and never will be.

I think if it's £8m it needs to be a better Cleverley than United have seen for the last couple of seasons, certainly last season, but I also think that's an entirely plausible possibility with time. He needs to rebuild his confidence.

I agree, but if it was a better Cleverley than Utd had seen, then he'd be a lot more than £8m.

Don't forget, inflation adjusted, this is no more than we paid for Hadji, Kachloul, Thompson or Steve Stone.

So did Petrov.....

He's not really like Petrov though, as least not for us. In his best position Cleverley is more like Petrov was for Celtic. He is definitely capable of getting forward and scoring goals.

So did Petrov.....

So did Petrov.....

Don't forget that Petrov was given dog's abuse on here for being 'the crab' in midfield that could only last for 70 mins.

So did Petrov.....
He's not really like Petrov though, as least not for us. In his best position Cleverley is more like Petrov was for Celtic. He is definitely capable of getting forward and scoring goals.

Shame he hasn't considering the quality around him and the freedom it allows. He has done absolutely nothing to be worth 8m with one year left.

So did Petrov.....

So did Petrov.....

Don't forget that Petrov was given dog's abuse on here for being 'the crab' in midfield that could only last for 70 mins.

That is exactly what United fans say about Cleverley.

That is exactly what United fans say about Cleverley.

Dk - we're conditioned into thinking that £8m is a lot for an international midfielder in a top 4 side. 

Edit - top table side after ManUre's last season.

Edited by StanBalaban

Ultimately, he's a level of player we need if we intend to not get relegated, and the latest in a series of unexpected transfers and frees. He is not an exciting signing, but given the state we're in, I'm not sure we

need an exciting player, just one who can do a job for us.

With our two top strikers returning soon, we will have depth in all positions, which is a nice luxury to have. A good mix of youth and experience as well.

Roll on, Villa.

Edited by maqroll

For 8 mil we shouldn't struggle to get a Redmond type player, who was local and younger and equally as promising. Trying to sign someone from Norwich won't be easy but I think we could for 8mil.

Â