Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

A big Manu colleague of mine, reckons the villa bid was made weeks back - but Manu sat on the bid. Also reckons cleverly is a good player, scapegoated for uniteds decline.

Seems on this info this is far from a done deal

Paying 8 mil for a 25 year old  Man United player with over 10 England caps doesn't sound too silly. Until you say its Cleverley. Like others have posted, if he does come he will be a decent addition to the squad, but we really need a winger/forward to come in to create and score goals. If you see Cleverley as a replacement for KEA and Herd then great, but if this is going to be the only signing until the window closes, it will raise more questions than answers.

22 appearances in a title winning side FFS!

Bertrand played in a champions league final. He was still shite.

I would look ok playing for Utd. Especially when the option is Anderson!

One game. 22 game in the league.

You really wouldn't look ok playing for Utd btw. 

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 1

22 appearances in a title winning side FFS!

You do have to ask if he's so shit why did United, who aim to be one of the best teams in the world, play him so much?

After thinking about it a little bit, rather than just jumping on the "Tom Cleverley is shit" bandwagon, i think he'd be alright here. But not for 8 million. More like 4. He's obviously rated by some incredibly experienced and talented players, coaches and managers and has the minutes to show for it. Unfortunately United declined and fans need someone or something to vent on. I bet every time he made a mistake that just cemented the chinese whisper going around Old Trafford that he was shite. Did well before he came to United and apparently played out of position when he was there (better options obviously). Also United have been in gradual decline and its pretty **** harsh to pin all that on poor tom lad. Anyhow. If he comes then full support from me! 

Also id like to add that I've met so many united fans who know absolutely **** all about football, let alone other teams so i always take their comments with a pinch of salt. 

Edited by tomh621
  • Like 3

From RedCafe

Roboc7

"Not good enough today, struggled for most of the game, did improve a bit but didn't really make the most of his opportunity, I agree with what Cleverley was saying about him being the type of player who LVG likes, the problem is he just isn't very good and doesn't offer enough to the team. I really do think he would struggle for games at least half the premier league sides because there is just nothing about him that stands out.

He runs around a lot and is an average all rounder who keeps possession ok but that is about it, unless he improves dramatically in a short period of time I wouldn't want to see him anywhere near the first team and with only a year left on his contract maybe it is time to move him on."

This is exactly how I see him. Probably slightly less effective than Westwood who cost about £1.5 mill. We're not spending 8mil for west woods back up. We should be signing players that are gonna put Westy on the bench.

There must be much better talent out there for that money.

Is Cleverley a world beater? probably not, but that's why he's under £10m, as opposed to £65m like Di Maria.

Is a title winning midfielder of only just over 1 year ago good enough for Villa (aged 25)...? Of course he is!

If he was playing for Everton, you'd all be delighted!

From RedCafe

Roboc7

"Not good enough today, struggled for most of the game, did improve a bit but didn't really make the most of his opportunity, I agree with what Cleverley was saying about him being the type of player who LVG likes, the problem is he just isn't very good and doesn't offer enough to the team. I really do think he would struggle for games at least half the premier league sides because there is just nothing about him that stands out.

He runs around a lot and is an average all rounder who keeps possession ok but that is about it, unless he improves dramatically in a short period of time I wouldn't want to see him anywhere near the first team and with only a year left on his contract maybe it is time to move him on."

This is exactly how I see him. Probably slightly less effective than Westwood who cost about £1.5 mill. We're not spending 8mil for west woods back up. We should be signing players that are gonna put Westy on the bench.

There must be much better talent out there for that money.

If you went on Villa Talk you could cheery pick quotes about Delph, Vlaar or Guzan I'm sure.

I wouldn't mind something like this when we're full strength.

- - - - - Benteke - Weimann - - - - -

- - - - - - - Cleverley - - - - - - -

- - Delph - - - - - - - - Westwood - -

- - - - - - - - Sanchez - - - - - - -

Cissokho - Vlaar - - Senderos - Hutton

- - - - - - - - Guzan - - - - - - - -

That team would keep possession fairly well, I reckon.

Or you could put Cleverley in midfield with Delph and Sanchez, and swap Westwood for N'Zogbia/ Gabby / Grealish in a 4-3-3.

• Like 1

Tom cleverly is better than delph & Westwood. He came to vp last year playing in one of the worst Man U teams I've seen and played centre midfield with a 39 year old giggs and bossed the game and scored.

Cleverly in & kea, Sylla & Gardner out.

If we spend 8m it means there is money for the right players

Â