Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

A few months ago I would have driven him to Goodison myself and was one of the posters genuinely wondering if he had a clause in his contract.

He played some blinders and looked an absolute unit in a revitalized team scoring a couple of important goals, however, he was back to his old self the past three games which will soften the blow if he decides to sign elsewhere.  If he signs I'll be pleased but you just don't know what player you will get.

• Like 1

I never quite got this whole phenomenon of dismissing an article if it doesn't have 'quotes'. Quotes from whom? The manager? The player in question? That doesn't happen in any transfer story. Nor is a journalist going to reveal his sources. It just comes down to the credibility of the author basically.

It does and unfortunately the majority of our journos are under instructions to sell papers, cleverley to Everton there's every danger so I don't think it's worth dismissing straight away (falcao to Chelsea however...) but those articles are all the same, if you glance at them you think he's going to Everton, if you read them properly it's completely non committal

Everton have made contact - probably have

Host of clubs tracking him - what does "tracking" even mean?

Villa also keen on signing him

"Appears" Everton have made the first move

It's wishy washy at best, he could join any number of clubs and they will claim that article to be accurate, the vast majority of rags are exactly the same, they're a waste of time

• Like 2

He's available on a free transfer - he's going to make himself very rich - right now, no one really has any claim on him and he finished the season well.

If I was him, i'd talk to everybody. At the end of the day, if he wants to stay here, talking to everybody only strengthens his position when it comes to salary negotiation. 

On a free, he'll get himself £80k a week. I wonder if we can afford it.

Skysports just said talks with cleverley going to Everton are going well, that is a blow as he would have been a great freebie, Lerner needs to invest or do one

I'm pretty sure he is trying to do one !

• Like 1

Won't be shedding too many tears if we lose Cleverly. Plenty more mediocre midfielders out there.

He's actually looked good since Tim took over.

Won't be shedding too many tears if we lose Cleverly. Plenty more mediocre midfielders out there.

Not against Southampton or Burnley and i thought he was our worst player against Arsenal.  Looked to me he wasnt even trying most of the time.

Not against Southampton or Burnley and i thought he was our worst player against Arsenal.  Looked to me he wasnt even trying most of the time.

Oh come on. One thing I can't complain about Cleverley is him not trying. No one showed up for any of the previous 3 games. Scapegoat Tom. 

Lerner needs to invest or do one

Finally, in light of the above, I have engaged Bank of America Merrill Lynch to advise on the sale of Aston Villa.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3825532,00.html

Lol im just concerned that a transfer target who would cost a transfer fee of £0 probably wont be signing, take into that players who are out of contract at are club on in the last few years ontop of our best asset sounding like hes going. This transfer window could finish this great club off because I really think it needs 50-65 million chucked at it probably for mid table finish

Fact is if he doesn't sign we need to spend at least 5mil on a similar midfielder 

It would be a blow as currently we could lose Vlaar & Cleverly for zero and Benteke , which even with his full release clause thats still the spine of the side gone.

Your really looking at a huge rebuilding job and no matter how good the players are they will take time to Gel , see Spurs for what happens when you buy a big group of players and it not working out.

• Like 1

Fact is if he doesn't sign we need to spend at least 5mil on a similar midfielder 

It would be a blow as currently we could lose Vlaar & Cleverly for zero and Benteke , which even with his full release clause thats still the spine of the side gone.

Your really looking at a huge rebuilding job and no matter how good the players are they will take time to Gel , see Spurs for what happens when you buy a big group of players and it not working out.

I agree with your point on players need time to gel, problem villa have is not got time they need to hit the ground running Sherwood needs to get this cleverley situation sorted within 2 weeks and then continue rebuilding.

For me villa need to have all players signed and sorted by the time preseason starts none of this last minute deals. This season coming up could define Aston villa's future in the top flight for the foreseeable if we go down we will not be coming straight back.

Edited by villan501

He's available on a free transfer - he's going to make himself very rich - right now, no one really has any claim on him and he finished the season well.

If I was him, i'd talk to everybody. At the end of the day, if he wants to stay here, talking to everybody only strengthens his position when it comes to salary negotiation. 

On a free, he'll get himself £80k a week. I wonder if we can afford it.

I'd imagine we can afford it.

For arguments sake, let's say it's a 4 year deal. it's the equivalent of signing a £7m player on 45k a week for the same period - Celverley is better than a £7m/45k a week player IMO and I'd assume the club would be able to afford that kind of player.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Â