Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

His stock will have gone down over the course of the season. I wonder will Everton want him now. I wonder will Villa want him in the summer. His purported transfer fee for January was £7m IIRC. There's no way he's worth that on the evidence of Villa's season. He should have come here and taken over ownership of the midfield as a big fish in a small pond. He has done nothing of the sort. If anything he has shied away from responsibility and been happy to be just another midfielder. I really hope the rumours of a recall are true.

I agree BOF, but that's also when we look to the manager to give a chance to a plyer that might be hungry enough to take on the task. Granted, outside of Westwood, Sanchez and Delph there have been limited options (Bacuna being the most logical one), with Gil and Sinclair on board TC needs to demonstrate some ability if he's to make the starting XI.

• Like 1

I can see him going to one of the newly promoted teams next season, maybe Bournemouth as they have some cash. 

He's going to Everton apparently, personally im struggling to see why any premierleague team has any interest in him? WHAT DOES HE DO? 

We deserve to go down if the manager continues to play this guy, he has had way too many chances and has had one decent half vs Bournemouth in all of that. Joke of a player, one of the worst I've ever seen play for us. Sort your head out Lambert!

Edited by Bunnski

I can see him going to one of the newly promoted teams next season, maybe Bournemouth as they have some cash.

He's going to Everton apparently, personally im struggling to see why any premierleague team has any interest in him? WHAT DOES HE DO?

He doesn't even want to be here and still he starts every poxy game, the whole situation is a mess
  • Like 1

I don't think he was going to Everton from the start.

If he'd performed well here I'm sure we would have bought him.

What's happened is he's been shite, so we've not exercised our option to buy him. And rightly so.

Unless I am mistaken there is no way we can now pay any money for him. Is that correct?

A small reason to be cheerful in this window anyway.

not sure, im under the impression you can buy a player whenever you like, but you can only register them during the transfer window

we could in theory offer £7m for him now (we wont) and sign him on a pre contract, or from june 1st offer him a pre contract as his utd contract is expiring, either way we would officially sign him 1st July 15

I can't see Everton wanting him anymore, they could get an awful lot better. 

Cleverley has played for over 26 hours this season in the league for us and managed zero goals and zero assists!

This is a player who Lambert seemingly sees as an offensive player and the most forward thinking player of the midfield three.

26 hours!!! Can you imagine playing football for more than an entire day and being that crap!

How many hours have we not scored as a team for? 10 hours?? 10 players times 10 hours is?

So we arent signing him thank McGrath. That means Lambert must know he's a big piece of pond scum. But whats the betting he still continues to start even though he couldnt really care less about this club knowing full well the fans despise his ability and that he will be gone in May.

Westwood is 10 times the player imho, he looked pissed off coming on at Arsenal the other day playing second fiddle to TC.

So this "must play him or he is recalled " clause in the contract (that was never actually a clause) how does that work now then?

Lets just say "I feel it is not in our interests as a club" not to play him every game!

Why not? Are they going to recall him now? 

I've been thinking about this. I saw people were saying that this deal with Man Utd has meant that they were losing out in a big way because they're getting nothing for him if he doesn't sign for us in January. That just can't be true. 

Man Utd loaned TC to us for the season. At the end of the season his contract expired. Any loan fee we would have given Man Utd would have covered what his market value was at the start of the season, because once summer comes Man Utd get nothing for him. But then if we were spending his market value, why did we just loan him? Why not just buy him outright? Unless TC put his foot down and said, look I'll sign for you guys for the season, but when summer comes I want my big signing on fee for going on the Bosman. So you and Man Utd can hash out what happens to me for the season coming, but I want my big contract. 

So we spent his market value on his loan fee with a nominal payment in January to secure a permanent deal, but only if we could come to terms with the player, who knew that he can get a great deal as a Bosman signing in the summer when his contract runs out. Villa try to convince TC to join in January. TC says **** that, you should see the contract Everton are going to offer me in the summer. 

But then Man Utd had a choice between getting nothing for him in summer, or getting that big loan fee which is effectively what someone would pay if they were buying him at that point and getting first stab at agreeing a contract with him. Maybe Villa's thinking was that we can convince TC that he is guaranteed first team football here, which is something he may not get elsewhere, and that will convince him to sign a new contract with us.

What is the value of someone buying a player coming to the end of their contract versus waiting until their contract runs down? Well you still have to convince the player to join, by offering the wages they will get for signing on a bosman if they wait a year, minus some cash the player might sacrifice in the interest of seeming interested in playing football, and not being just a mercenary and waiting down the contract.

Villa: Hey Tom we just agreed a fee with Utd. You're coming to Villa

TC: Yeah? What wages are you offering me?

Villa: These.

TC: That's crap. I could get twice that next summer.

Villa: Oh. Hey Man Utd, Tom won't sign. 

MU: That's hardly our problem. 

Villa: Yeah but we want him to play for us this season.

MU: You could loan him for the season if you like and try to convince him to sign for you that way.

Villa: Right, great and we pay you if we buy him at the end of the season yeah?

MU: No of course not. You can get him for nothing at the end of the season. We would rather keep him than give him to you for free.

Villa: Oh right yeah. So we pay you for him in January if we want him.

MU: No. If he's going to you for the season, afterwards he's not our player. You're going to have to buy him

Villa: So we've to buy him now? 

MU: Yes

Villa: And then convince him to join us over the course of the season?

MU: Yes. We'll set a future transfer fee of £1 in January. If you can get Tom to agree wages with you, you can get him permanently in January. In the summer it's all out of our hands.

Villa: So how much do you want for him now?

MU: Well his current market value minus the pound in January.

Villa: So what's his market value?

MU: Well didn't you offer £8 million.

Villa: Yeah but now he won't sign. We were paying £8 million pounds so we could buy him for the season.

MU: Yes, but what you do after you've given the £8 million to us is none of our business. As far as we're concerned whether he goes to you on a permanent, or on loan for the season, TC will have left this club, and the value we have put on him at this moment is £8 million.

Villa: Yeah but...

MU: Look you are willing to pay £8 million to discuss terms with the guy until the end of transfer window tomorrow. We're now offering you the chance to pay £8 million to discuss terms until the end of the season.

Villa: Yeah that's a good point actually. But wait, the pound!

MU: £7,999,999 then and we'll talk again in January.

Villa: Tom you're coming to Villa for the season.

TC: Yeah whatever. Roberto, it's Tom. Give me a call in June.

The issue is, what benefit is it to a club to buy a player at the start of the season rather than wait until the end to buy him when he'll be on a free? Well you get to play him for the season, and have less competition for his signature. So that's what we got from Man Utd through this loan deal. Which we paid for as if we had been buying him outright. Man Utd haven't somehow gotten a really bad deal through this situation. Villa have

Â