Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

I really am thinking it is in the loan agreement that he must play if fit, Lambert shifted him to a more advanced role playing Delph, Sanchez and Westwood in the usual positions he would play. That suggests to me he is 4th choice midfielder, but if he has to play him then shift him out of position. Would have been far more effective if we have started with Gil, Grealish or even Zog in that position. Cleverley really is that bad but looks like he has to play no matter what. 

I'm not sure that'd be legal

Just to get some clarity on the loan situation with Cleverley, am I correct in thinking that the loan is only up until the end of January upon which point he will either go back to Man Ure, or we look to complete our purchase of him for £8m?

Is that right? So our lack of an announcement on the matter would indicate that we're not taking the option to buy him as he'd just be heading back oop norf?

As he has made 1 appearance in the league for Man U, he also wouldn't be able to play for another club this season so, if he does go back, his playing time will effectively be nil for the rest of the league campaign before coming a free agent.

Edited by StanBalaban

Just to get some clarity on the loan situation with Cleverley, am I correct in thinking that the loan is only up until the end of January upon which point he will either go back to Man Ure, or we look to complete our purchase of him for £8m?

Is that right? So our lack of an announcement on the matter would indicate that we're not taking the option to buy him as he'd just be heading back oop norf?

As he has made 1 appearance in the league for Man U, he also wouldn't be able to play for another club this season so, if he does go back, his playing time will effectively be nil for the rest of the league campaign before coming a free agent.

My understanding is that we signed him on a season-long loan with a clause to buy him in Jan (which would terminate his loan and he would be a Villa-owned player). ManU have a clause to get him back. If he does go back to United they could still loan him abroad.

My understanding is that we signed him on a season-long loan with a clause to buy him in Jan (which would terminate his loan and he would be a Villa-owned player). ManU have a clause to get him back. If he does go back to United they could still loan him abroad.

Right..... So he's here for the whole season unless Man U decide to recall him.

I guess the £8m purchase price was to ensure his services for next season without running the risk losing him to another suitor when he's a free agent.

His agent, with the last ditch attempt to send him to Everton, has done us a massive favour then, as he would otherwise have been a permanent Villa player were it not for that.

What does Cleverley  actually do to keep his place week in week out.Nobody i have spoken to has the slightest idea what he brings to the team.Yet another decision by our clueless one.

The entire team had a bad first half, but in the second half today Cleverley played well IMO - made some good passes, held the ball up a few times and also played some great one touch stuff, he actually looked like he may have come through the Manure Academy. Hope it continues.

• Like 1

can for example Everton agree a fee of 4 million for him now and get him in January? or does our loan agreement for the season mean he cant go anywhere?

I think we'd have to agree, and probably be due some compensation, if he was to go elsewhere before the end of the season given that we've likely paid a good few bob for the season long loan

The entire team had a bad first half, but in the second half today Cleverley played well IMO - made some good passes, held the ball up a few times and also played some great one touch stuff, he actually looked like he may have come through the Manure Academy. Hope it continues.

Came to post exactly this. Impressive second half I thought. Out-performed Sanchez too, which is a first.

• Like 2

I thought second half he did well today and it was arguably his best 45 mins of football since he has been here. He wouldn't be in my first choice midfield though and it wil now be interesting to see what Lambert does next week. Assuming we will go 4-4-2/4-3-1-2 then, if fit, Delph and Gil definitely start and for me Sanchez and Westwood are ahead of Cleverley. If Cleverley gets the nod ahead of any of them 4 then either there is an agreement that he has to start every game or Lambert wants his head looking at. In fact if it is due to a clause stating he has to start every game then Lambert still wants his head looking at for agreeing to it.

Edited by markavfc40

I can't imagine such a clause would be remotely within the rules

Me neither, and nor can I understand what the motivation for doing so is supposed to have been for United. They're never going to take him back and play him, so why would they care, it's not like they need him to be fit or on form for any reason. 

Â