Jordan Lyden

ozvillafan

Knuckle down Jordan. There is opportunity in this midfield. The cut of the cloth from the interview a few posts up is refreshing , I hadn't seen that previously. Here I was a moment ago commenting on Grealish news story then I see that interview from a while back and think good on you. A midfield that sees Gardner and Westwood get time, will see Lyden presented with an opportunity soon enough I hope. 

It's a shame he may be going down the path of Bacuna or even Herd who was played more at RB. His qualities appear to be suited to his favoured midfield role. Id like to see him play there. Can't be any worse than Gardner.

I know we haven't seen much of him, but when he did play last season he looked to be very energetic. As such I wouldn't mind trying to play him and Tish either side of Jedinak in a midfield three. With a front three of McCormack Kodjia and Ayew

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This article would seem to suggest Lyden's absence under di Matteo was in fact down to injury.

Aston Villa could welcome back midfield ace before the New Year

Boss Steve Bruce will get to see what Jordan Lyden is made of next month as he continues his recovery programme

Jordan Lyden could hand Aston Villa a timely boost by returning to first team action for the hectic Christmas period.

The promising young midfielder has been hit by injuries in the past six months but is now edging closer towards a return to training.

Providing there are no further set-backs and the final stages of his rehabilitation programme go to plan, Lyden could be in contention for next month’s festive fixtures.

Aston Villa and transfer target Jordan Rhodes: A match made in heaven?

His return will be welcomed by new boss Steve Bruce who wants added competition for places in the centre of midfield and has already been told promising things about the 20-year-old.

Villa rate the Australian ace highly and were pleased to tie him down to a long-term contract earlier this season.

Last term he made the step up to the senior squad after impressing as the captain of the development team.

Six appearances in 2016 earned him an improved deal but a quad injury, sustained on the final day of the Premier League season at Arsenal, has thwarted his recent progress.JS86572690.jpg

Initially, Lyden had recovered from a lengthy absence only to break down again in September.

He’s now close to returning to outdoor training after working on his conditioning and recovery in the swimming pool and gym at Bodymoor Heath.

When fully fit he will compete with Mile Jedinak, Gary Gardner, Ashley Westwood and Aaron Tshibola for a place in the heart of midfield.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Any news on Jordan? Deserves a chance in our team.

Was thinking the exact same thing.

Not even on the 23's team sheet tonight... 

He's been out for a long time hasn't he? Even if he were to come back he'd need quite a bit of time in the U/23s to get his match fitness back before he's ready for any first team action.

Â