Pre match thread

chappy

You know maybe if we played with two strikers we might not have as much of a issue scoring....

If only it were that simple.

2 strikers means two central midfielders.

Now, if Sanchez turns out to be great then this may work going forward. But if you assume our midfield two would be Delph and Westwood for now, then they aren't strong enough as a pairing for that to work. Imo.

You use two defensive midfielders. One with a mixed profile deep lying playmaker a la Xabi Alonso and one with a more pure defensive Makelele kind role. You use two wingers alongside them and and your fullbacks that function more like wingbacks than fullbacks. It's a formation that seems more offensive than it is. The second defensive midfielder in the makelele role can compress back and form a line of three when the fullbacks are diving forward if need be. 

I'd be tempted to give Cole some game time in this one. I personally don't think he was too bad on Wednesday night; showed some good touches and made a few nice moves. I think it was down to his lack of a proper pre-season that he looked off the pace in his first competitive game, but hopefully having had some minutes he'll look a bit sharper. Either way, he's the kind of player that we need at home, as the line-up that we used against Newcastle isn't really the kind to break a team down. Grealish definitely deserves a role, either as a starter or a sub on 60 minutes as opposed to a last minute sub. I think he's shown that he can influence a game and be creative. Hopefully we'll have a full strength back four and continue our league shutouts, just need someone to put the bloody ball in the net!

You use two defensive midfielders. One with a mixed profile deep lying playmaker a la Xabi Alonso and one with a more pure defensive Makelele kind role. You use two wingers alongside them and and your fullbacks that function more like wingbacks than fullbacks. It's a formation that seems more offensive than it is. The second defensive midfielder in the makelele role can compress back and form a line of three when the fullbacks are diving forward if need be. 

Makelele and Alonso roles you say? So we should play a midfield two of Sanchez and... presumably Westwood? No place in the middle for Delph then.

If there's one thing we absolutely certainly not do it's drop Delph from the middle of the park for one of our shit striking options. We've suffered having an overrun midfield for ages and as soon as it looks like we're going to be competitive in that area you want to dismantle it in favour of playing two of Gabby, Weimann and Bent up front.