Something in the air

Dodgyknees

We're 7th and look solid. Our back up team received a smash and grab defeat in the cup. It looks like we might possibly be bringing another player or two in, plus have Benteke coming back. Calm **** down.

I think the worry is pretty much understandable. Only 1 shot on target in the last 2 games is a big worry, no matter what league your playing in.

We're 7th and look solid. 

That's a bold statement after 2 games! Check back in when we've played 10 or 20.

not knocking you briny, as I understand the sentiment (it is too soon to say we're solid) but that could be flipped around about people stating we'll be relegated for sure this season.

We're 7th and look solid. Our back up team received a smash and grab defeat in the cup. It looks like we might possibly be bringing another player or two in, plus have Benteke coming back. Calm **** down.

I think the worry is pretty much understandable. Only 1 shot on target in the last 2 games is a big worry, no matter what league your playing in.

It would be more of a worry if we weren't creating chances, but we are.

It would be more of a worry if we weren't creating chances, but we are.

I've read this a couple of times. What are all these chances we've created?

So... you want to actually come up with a list?

:unsure:

We've only had two premiership games.  Surely it's not hard to name these clear chances we've been creating.

On the other hand, because we have only had 2 games, it is FAR too early to be trading stats.

But if you really want to know, according to Squawka we have created 11 chances in our 2 premier league games.

That compares with the top clubs, Spurs (22) and Chelsea (30) and at the bottom, Burnley (14) and QPR (20).

So not a lot to write home about so far. But it is very early in the season!

But if you really want to know, according to Squawka we have created 11 chances in our 2 premier league games.

That compares with the top clubs, Spurs (22) and Chelsea (30) and at the bottom, Burnley (14) and QPR (20).

Or if you wanted to spin it the other way you'd compare it to 4th place 100% record Swansea (an identical 11 chances).

As you say, it's too early for that though.

Edit - Actually looking at Squawka's page, their chances created is a load of nonsense. Weimann's goal didn't go down as a chance created as the opponent touched the ball between the ball getting to him and him scoring. What the hell, Squawka?

Edited by ArteSuave

Well, "chances created" is a pretty crappy stat full stop, because it's always a matter of subjective judgment whether a move constitutes a chance or not. Opposing fans at the same game will have totally different views on chances created!

Good to know we're creating lots of good goal scoring chances and that it hasn't been an issue for awhile. Must have had my eyes closed at the Newcastle game then because I didn't see any. Wonder why we tried to sign hoolahan last January and have signed Cole this year and looking to add cleverley. Strange.

Not saying that we've created enough, but the shots on goal stats can be a bit missleading. Zog's header, and the freekick for that matter, against the barcodes was a decent chance but he missed the goal so won't count for shot on target. And then you can have Joe McShootsfromevryangl who often takes a shot from no chance at all with the ball ending up safely in the arms of the keeper. That shot will count as on target, but which chance was the most dangerous? The shot on goal will obviously have an infinite bigger chance to end up in the goal behind the keeper, but the chance wasn't better. So, it can very well be a bit missleading stat.

• Like 1

Not saying that we've created enough, but the shots on goal stats can be a bit missleading. Zog's header, and the freekick for that matter, against the barcodes was a decent chance but he missed the goal so won't count for shot on target. And then you can have Joe McShootsfromevryangl who often takes a shot from no chance at all with the ball ending up safely in the arms of the keeper. That shot will count as on target, but which chance was the most dangerous? The shot on goal will obviously have an infinite bigger chance to end up in the goal behind the keeper, but the chance wasn't better. So, it can very well be a bit missleading stat.

We created enough against Stoke, not against Newcastle in my opinion. Also pot shots do cloud the stats somewhat, but Newcastle did have 3 good chances against us we had maybe a couple of half chances.

TBF we didn't create enough against Stoke and our goal was a bit lucky. The outstanding feature of our play so far this season has been solid defending, benefiting mightily from a summer purge of the "young and hungry" squad.

That's what saw us through at Stoke. Our forward moving creative play had been a bit meh.

Â