Something in the air

Dodgyknees

Ive actually got a bad feeling.....whilst supportive of the new CEO, I feel he will in the short term want to make his mark - I wonder what the fallout from that will be........If its a new AM, and a new contract for Vlaar great - if however if feels certain people at the club need a kick up the backside, we could have all sorts of fireworks over the next few months.....

Ive actually got a bad feeling.....whilst supportive of the new CEO, I feel he will in the short term want to make his mark - I wonder what the fallout from that will be........If its a new AM, and a new contract for Vlaar great - if however if feels certain people at the club need a kick up the backside, we could have all sorts of fireworks over the next few months.....

**** bringing back Alex Mcleish.

What are you basing this on exactly?

The performance the other day really made me feel a lot more optimistic. We played like a team with everybody trying their hardest and we barely let stoke near our goal. I'm not gonna get carried away and think thats us sorted as we put in performances like that last season and then went to shit.

We have a solid team on paper now especially when everybody is fit and more importantly we have a solid coaching staff. If we sign a quality winger and hang on to Ron then I'll be hopeful of a top half finish.

For me, nothing has really changed other than we've won a football match which is a rare thing these days.

I know nothing about Sanchez, I really don't know if he's going to be the player we desperately need or if he'll be another Makoun.

In regards to Fox, i'm sure he will be able to improve things commercially but whilst we're a team playing dour football and battling relegation there will be severe limits how we can improve in that area.

We also have an owner who still wants to sell the club after stating his heart is no longer in it, and has given Lambert a whopping £7m to improve a poor squad.

Maybe i'm overly negative, but.... I'm seeing little reason to think positvely about Villa right now. 

Sorry I forgot - the IMO bit......better now ?

Is it just me, but is there a slight feeling of positivity/optimism right now?

Granted the win has helped, but the signing of Sanchez, appointment of Fox and general good feeling has certainly increased recently.

The question is... what is making you feel good about Villa right now?

Positivity? Sure, we won the game last weekend. That keeps the mood stable during the next week, until you play the next game. The mood after that game will be based on the outcome, just like it would for every other fan of any other club. However, take a look at the first game last season when we won 3-1 away to Arsenal. One games means absolutely nothing in the long run, except of course that is brings us 3 points closer to the magical line of 40 and avoiding relegation. With our upcoming fixtures in a few weeks, we desperately need a few wins now to create some cushion.

The signings over the summer have been mediocre, yet again. We have gone for experience, but none of the players will make us particularly better. Let's not kid ourselves, if someone had mentioned Richardson, Cole and Senderos a few years ago we would have laughed it away. I am not going to comment on Sanchez, I have never seen him play before. He has spent most of his career at Valenciennes and then Elche before he joined us, pretty much the equivalents of Villa in their respective leagues right now. Lots of players have performed well in a World Cup before securing a move. I sincerely hope he will do well, but chances are he is a new Makoun. Also, the new CEO will hardly perform miracles when we currently have a very unsexy brand and little money to develop it with. I am happy enough with Cissokho, I have hopes for Sanchez, Okore and N'Zogbia - and I hope Vlaar stays on.

We are maybe a little bit better than last season in terms of options and quality. However, we are still without our best player; Christian Benteke. If he returns before October and stays injury-free until the end of the season, we will be fine around 14th place in the table. If he returns too early and then struggle with niggles or even more serious injuries, we are firm contenders for relegation yet again. I think it's extremely pleasing to see that Luna, Tonev and Bennett are far away from the team though - I wouldn't even describe these as professional footballers. The same goes for El Ahmadi and Bacuna, they might have some assets but I don't think they are anywhere near good enough to start in the Premier League.

Sorry I forgot - the IMO bit......better now ?

I think you've missed my point. I wasn't accusing you of trying to pass off opinion as fact, I was just wondering what you were basing this opinion off exactly? I just don't see any reason why Fox would come in and ruffle feathers for the sake of it.

You can't deny there is an increased air of optimism around the club. Its amazing what a signing 99% of people think is good, a win and a clean sheet does. Hopefully we can build on this, on and off the pitch to the end of the month and on wards, as confidence can do wonders.

That said I'm also sure most know that it could all change and wouldn't take much to deflate the optimism and confidence and turn Villa park into a very un-enjoyable experience for fans, players and management a like. This time last year confidence was quite high following on from the previous season and the Arsenal and Chelsea games but by the end of September it was a whole different story after seeing our play regress badly.

• Like 1

Is it just me, but is there a slight feeling of positivity/optimism right now?

Granted the win has helped, but the signing of Sanchez, appointment of Fox and general good feeling has certainly increased recently.

The question is... what is making you feel good about Villa right now?

Positivity? Sure, we won the game last weekend. That keeps the mood stable during the next week, until you play the next game. The mood after that game will be based on the outcome, just like it would for every other fan of any other club. However, take a look at the first game last season when we won 3-1 away to Arsenal. One games means absolutely nothing in the long run, except of course that is brings us 3 points closer to the magical line of 40 and avoiding relegation. With our upcoming fixtures in a few weeks, we desperately need a few wins now to create some cushion.

The signings over the summer have been mediocre, yet again. We have gone for experience, but none of the players will make us particularly better. Let's not kid ourselves, if someone had mentioned Richardson, Cole and Senderos a few years ago we would have laughed it away. I am not going to comment on Sanchez, I have never seen him play before. He has spent most of his career at Valenciennes and then Elche before he joined us, pretty much the equivalents of Villa in their respective leagues right now. Lots of players have performed well in a World Cup before securing a move. I sincerely hope he will do well, but chances are he is a new Makoun. Also, the new CEO will hardly perform miracles when we currently have a very unsexy brand and little money to develop it with. I am happy enough with Cissokho, I have hopes for Sanchez, Okore and N'Zogbia - and I hope Vlaar stays on.

We are maybe a little bit better than last season in terms of options and quality. However, we are still without our best player; Christian Benteke. If he returns before October and stays injury-free until the end of the season, we will be fine around 14th place in the table. If he returns too early and then struggle with niggles or even more serious injuries, we are firm contenders for relegation yet again. I think it's extremely pleasing to see that Luna, Tonev and Bennett are far away from the team though - I wouldn't even describe these as professional footballers. The same goes for El Ahmadi and Bacuna, they might have some assets but I don't think they are anywhere near good enough to start in the Premier League.

Sounds like you need to check that the Samaritans are available in your area :)

I think the team is better than the last couple of years but we're still poor compared to where Aston Villa should be, and a rudderless ship to boot. Until we have some long term direction I'm going to struggle to feel hugely positive, but I'll enjoy the weekends when we win as ever.

Good opening day win but I'm going to let last season's start be a reminder for me that one win doesn't mean very much.

Hopefully we'll build on the performance at Stoke though!

• Like 1

Â