Tom Fox

Cracker1234

On 13 March 2016 at 11:04, foreveryoung said:

Howard Hodson quoted it on WM. I don't think he would bullshit on live radio.

Are you absolutely sure of that?

He's taking the fall for the fans with banners getting kicked out last week. Randy would never sanctions such actions for his favourite best magnificent fans in the world. It was all Foxy. 

We are no different to any business. By any measure he has presided over a disastrous period for the club so he goes. Its what happens on a regular basis at listed companies.

The results on the pitch are laughable, we have become the easiest three points in the PL. The financial results have actually got much worse. OK most of that arguably was not on his watch but it was difficult to gleam any positive news from the accounts and none was offered. For me there was only one line of note, the increase in wages. I accept that there will be high earners that have now left but my fear is the underlying bill had not really fallen at all. He was the CEO and ultimately the buck stops with him, that is why he earned £1.2m a year.

Add to that the disastrous transfer window over the summer where it was all called completely wrong. OK I accept that hindsight is everything but he had to go. For me at least Hollis is making precisely the right calls at the moment. Looks like Riley will be next which then completely clears out the group that made the player recruitment errors.

• Like 1

I thought he resigned?

Technically, yes, but looking at his statement, it was the "I looked at the changes happening at the club and decided here was no longer a role for me" sort of resignation, not a "my work here is done" or "hey, I've just been offered a fantastic new job, bye bye" type.

So jumped before he was pushed would be my interpretation, in which case I still want to know who they have lined up as a replacement. Hollis as "Executive Chairman" sounds like a bad idea for anything but the very short term.

He is just another failed appointment to add to a long list of failed appointments into senior positions under Randy Lerner.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but it really shouldn't take hindsight to know that someone who has never held the role of CEO before, coming from a successful Premier League club into one that has struggled for a number of years to basically run it due to the absent owner, was always likely to find himself out of his depth. So it has proved.

I am happy that he has gone but now he needs to be replaced by someone with experience and proven success in the role otherwise him leaving will make no difference. The only thing that changed from Faulkner to Fox was that the person coming in earned five times more than his predecessor. We have to get the next appointment right.

On 06/10/2015 at 23:21, mykeyb said:

Not as good as many people say he is.

He wont act now despite all the evidence, he will dither until the job for the next man is impossible and anyone of quality will rule themselves out.

Tim was his call while Lambert wasnt and that is the difference  

Hate to say I told you so........................

4 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Technically, yes, but looking at his statement, it was the "I looked at the changes happening at the club and decided here was no longer a role for me" sort of resignation, not a "my work here is done" or "hey, I've just been offered a fantastic new job, bye bye" type.

So jumped before he was pushed would be my interpretation, in which case I still want to know who they have lined up as a replacement. Hollis as "Executive Chairman" sounds like a bad idea for anything but the very short term.

Probably a golden handshake. 

I'm not surprised at all. It's just a shame he was allowed to relegate us. Being paid 1.2m to completely destroy a club from top to bottom is pretty good going, mind.

LOL at the 'stepped down'. He was as sacked as sacked can be. The board will have offered him the chance to step down and take no pay off (which saves his career) or be publicly sacked and risk never getting a high profile job again. He probably chose wisely. 

Reilly and Garde will be next. It's very much 'back to the drawing board' for AVFC.

What an embarrassing 12 months, 

• Like 1

I find this bit of his leaving statement absolutely staggering

I'm appreciative to the Board and the owner for the opportunity to help put Villa back on a solid footing and able to compete in the most competitive sports league in the world. 

Because the exact opposite happened. And it's why he had to go. That was his job and he effed it up.

• Like 2

I'm appreciative to the Board and the owner for the opportunity to help put Villa back on a solid footing and able to compete in the most competitive sports league in the world. 

Because the exact opposite happened. And it's why he had to go. That was his job and he effed it up.

tumblr_lx1c3d27Qs1qiklw8.gif

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Am I misreading it?  It seems to say he was thankful for the opportunity?

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He explains why in his post? 

Tom Fox was a complete failure. I hold no personal grudge against him though and actually found the "Tom Fox, what a rocket polisher" chanting to be a bit distasteful. When people chant that at referees/players they barely notice. They know it comes with the territory. Tom Fox was just bad at this job over a relatively short period of time, whereas Lerner is on another level for me. Wrong thread for that though eh. 

What is Peter Kenyon at these days?  Was he not a CEO of United when they announced major commercial deal and also CEO of Chelsea at the beginning of the Russian Revolution?

*EDIT*

A quick google search shows he has an advisory role at Atletico Madrid and in some articles saying he is the main reason Atletico have sorted their finances out.  Atletico to Villa?  Not going to happen.  Oh well.

Edited by Newry_Villan

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

He does indeed. He was given the opportunity, and as I implied he didn't make the most of his opportunity and was thus dropped from the team. In terms of his statement, it's like the Italian guy who was Captain of that liner that sadly sank after crashing into the rocks . If he'd resigned and said "I'm grateful for the opportunity I was given to safely navigate the ship to harbour" people might just comment that

"You crashed and sank it, you prize numpty, it's all very well going on about being "grateful for the opportunity", but making no mention of the whole sinking business you were responsible for is a bit off"

So basically, even in the soft focus field of resignation statements there's something of a disconnect between reality and the words used, to my reading.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

He is just another failed appointment to add to a long list of failed appointments into senior positions under Randy Lerner.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but it really shouldn't take hindsight to know that someone who has never held the role of CEO before, coming from a successful Premier League club into one that has struggled for a number of years to basically run it due to the absent owner, was always likely to find himself out of his depth. So it has proved.

I am happy that he has gone but now he needs to be replaced by someone with experience and proven success in the role otherwise him leaving will make no difference. The only thing that changed from Faulkner to Fox was that the person coming in earned five times more than his predecessor. We have to get the next appointment right.

Lifelong Villan living down here in Swansea and distraught that our great club has degenerated into a laughing stock,the man I would like to see appointed to the role of CEO is Jonathan Ford,Chief Executive,of the Football Association of Wales for whom he has done a brilliant job.Very well versed in all the arts of Commercial Marketing in the modern business environment he has brought the FAW into the 21st Century with all the aplomb of a true professional businessman. Would be a great appointment.

• Like 1

Â