Tom Fox

Cracker1234

This feels like a fantastic appointment to me, I know a large amount of fans hold the commercial aspect as the "dark side" of football, but working in the industry I 100% believe we will never be able to compete at the very top level again unless we focus on worldwide CRM and, in our current position, brand association with these fans.

We're a big club still, no doubt about it as a brand, but currently we have very little if any meaningful identity against the brand "AVFC". Unfortunately the rebranding of 2006 under Randy never really worked out as O'Neill only took us to half-way house, and in my opinion we'd be best placed to start afresh under new ownership if and when it does happen.

Anyhow, I'm unfortunately not in any position to make such meaningful decisions at the club, but can't wait until I am!!

• Like 1

I get the feeling someone or a group has bought shares from Lerner, but not a majority. This could lead to an injection of cash leading to some money coming in. I'd say that could have swung it for Fox, if this story is true.

Pure speculation of course.

It may be easier for Lerner to sell off in bits and the potential buyer(s) invest over a longer period.

An interesting one. He's too good an appointment for him to be a nightwatchman overseeing a sale. You wouldn't leave a plum job at Arsenal for that. At first, I was thinking he wasn't quite a big enough appointment to be the pick of a new owner but some of the comments and info on this thread has made me think he might be. He certainly seems to be well thought of and have some kind of pedigree.

That said, I still think this points to a sale being some way off. Lerner has done too much lately for a sale to even be in the initial stages. It is interesting that Fox brings commercial pedigree too. That could mean that Lerner wants to exploit this far more to bring more money into the club.

I get the feeling someone or a group has bought shares from Lerner, but not a majority. This could lead to an injection of cash leading to some money coming in. I'd say that could have swung it for Fox, if this story is true. Pure speculation of course. It may be easier for Lerner to sell off in bits and the potential buyer(s) invest over a longer period.

that's a highly unlikely scenario. If someone buys 51% of shares they make all the decisions, that impacts on the remaing 49%. Thus Lerner would have a £100m investment being controlled by someone else....lerners could retain 51% and sell 49%...but then the rules are reversed.

its a new CEO...nothing more....and while we are all creaming ourselves...hes never been CEO of a football club before... Lets see what his first managerial appt is made of.....

don't think im not supportive....but lets keep this in perspective...

I expect a rebranding at some point within the next year. I expect "Aston Villa" will reappear on the badge. I expect preseason friendlies in Asia, a better kit deal, the stadium being renamed  :( , a higher profile shirt sponsor, and a bigger push into Birmingham itself, through promotional events, community outreach, youth programs etc. Fox probably thinks Villa has the potential to draw 65K fans, given the size of the city, and I'd have to agree. That's a ways off, though...

Stadium renaming rights is unfortunately part of the modern day football, and can't be avoided imo, although it'd be very sad to see Villa playing on "Sponsor Arena #1345", and not on Villa Park.

IMO chances of renaming the stadium are slim to none ..naming rights only work for new stadiums.Newcastle tried it and found it to be unsuccessful from a marketing point of view and with fans it was reverted back to St James Park.

I was coming on here after seeing the article expecting to see some negative comments about the appointment but maybe not...

He's going to be the CEO of a football club and he knows very little about football and has never worked in the football side of things.

If he was brought in to do the exact same role at Arsenal I would be absolutely shocked and thrilled with the appointment. But I'm nervous he's gonna have to learn on-the-job as he's not used to dealing with the football side.

All that said he's clearly an intelligent man who's worked his way up to his position at Arsenal and is well regarded by them. I just hope he can deal with footballing sides as well.

In terms of Lerner "to sell or not to sell" I think it is literally one or the other. He's probably been offered some assurances that he's protected if new owners come in, or he'll get a big pay-off if moved on straight away, or (I hope) this appointment has been agreed with new potential owners

Edited by skarroki

Fantastic news!

Fox has done an excellent job at Arsenal, but he probably feels that he is ready for a promotion role-wise.

I agree with an earlier post (sorry, I forget who's post it was) that rather than a sign that he's taking the club off the market, I think this appointment is to help Randy sell the club.

I think Fox will be an asset, great appointment!

I expect a rebranding at some point within the next year. I expect "Aston Villa" will reappear on the badge. I expect preseason friendlies in Asia, a better kit deal, the stadium being renamed  :( , a higher profile shirt sponsor, and a bigger push into Birmingham itself, through promotional events, community outreach, youth programs etc. Fox probably thinks Villa has the potential to draw 65K fans, given the size of the city, and I'd have to agree. That's a ways off, though...

What does he eat for breakfast?

Sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Listening to that makes me quite excited that he will come in and start asking what exactly is the club about, how does it connect with fans etc. We've been desperately in need of this for years.

Strange thing - now that Lerner wants out he seems to be running the club much better.  :bang:

• Like 3

Personally, I can't see Fox coming here unless he's been promised a certain level of control and financial backing.

I think of it this way - Arsenal are finally re-emerging as title challengers (in my mind at least) and are willing to spend the big bucks to really push forward. It's an exciting time for them, and for Fox to leave a well-regarded position at Arsenal and come here now, would require certain guarantees from Lerner (or potential new owner) with regards to control and financial backing.

Yes, he is moving up from CCO to a CEO position, but surely he'd want to know if he will be afforded the tools to push the club on? I'm thinking hoping it means a new push by Randy (unlikely) or he is joining with the blessing of new owners in the near future.

• Like 2

While I like this development, and I understand how his philosophy makes sense, I do cringe a little bit at some of the corporate-speak. 

I also noticed at one point he said of fans "They think it's a club.", as if to say he thinks it's strictly a business.

I know I'm nitpicking...

Â