• Poor
    • Very poor
  3. 3. Refereeing performance

• Very good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very poor

Okay another clean sheet and a point against ''a better team", I put it in brackets because Newcastle had lost their previous 5 away games and are at best a mid table team.

That was awful to watch though, yes we defended well but offered little in the way of offensive play. We all know that until Benteke's back we will struggle going forward but he's not back until October at best even then he has to get back to the form of his 1st season with us to be the game changer we need. IMO Lerner? Lambert? the tea lady? has to this week go out and either buy a replacement or get a loan signing in who will have a presence up front.

I'm really disappointed with the tactics used by Lambert. I had hoped he had learned but he is still serving up the same boring displays, surely he only has to look around VP to realise that he's losing support "empty seats my lord, empty seats".

• Like 1

Errr why is everyone pounding Andi ? he worked hard as usual even if he had a bad game, and last week we kind of really needed him since Gabby does appear to be off the ball at the moment but we do need Benteke or a Bentekesque man up front which if you recall is when Andi and Gabby become even more useful.

What magic does anyone remember Kozak conjuring up ? I don't get everyones enthusiasm there, but if he is played it should be in Bentekes role which means leaving Andi and Gabby in to feed him.... Bent I like but he is no Benteke, not even close and feel he is best on the bench.

> we DID have a couple of shots on target in the box but they were blocked early and we did look dangerous more than once , even the geordie tool spotted that.

> Ref really was diabolical.

> Sanchez not on for long enough but he felt `safe` immediately needs to be given a game ASAP

On Lambert .. for a change I thought the subs were correct in the situation.

So far it appears that what he has done with what he had to play with ($6.50 and a packet of crisps) is pretty impressive, financially we are punching way above our weight.

Last season we would have gone down either in the first 10 or just before half time OR gone one up ourselves in the first 10 then got slowly slaughtered 2/3-1, best result in this fixture for a LONG time so heads up and smell the roses peoples.

I see improvement, if the injury gods are kind to us...

Thought it was a good game, hoped for a win second half of last season nearly every game I sat thinking please don't loose. Defence was solid midfield good. They played like a team not a load of individuals all chasing the ball.

The way Newcastle had to foul our players and their keepers time awaiting with the balloon makes me think they were concerned they were going to loose.

I know Gabby gets stick on here but I did not realise the officials don't like him either.

Delph reminded me of Ashley Young the way he is last man back on a corner.

I enjoyed myself.

Gabby needed to put more pressure on their defense, he stood off them and let them push up the pitch which allowed Newcastle to control the game, when we had chances to break away poor decision making cost us.

Pleased with the point though, I think Newcastle will do well this season. Motm, cissoko for me he's crossed in the first half were very dangerous.

Well looking at the fixtures even before we had kicked a ball, I had us down to pick up 5/6 points from our first 10 games so I'm over the moon with the start to be honest,

I think we will only get stronger as each game passes especilaly with the introduction of sanchez, cole and benteke it won't be long till things start happening at the business end of the pitch.

Come on you lions

Up The Villa!..

Edited by Kingman

Pleasing performance, but this says more about how shite we have become. Massively short on quality at the business end of the field, but look much more solid. Really in need of 2nr big money signings and our forwards to come back.

I am losing my fear thankfully, but he next 4/5 games will show us where we really are.

• Like 2

Decent point and glad we looked solid again. Any team would miss their 2 main goalscoring threats so I'm not overly concerned. When everyone is back and fit, I think we'll look decent again. Think the defence and midfield seem sorted(ish), just need some clever players further forward who can create and score. 3 points against Hull and that would be a very very good start to the season

The way our defence has been playing in recent seasons.... I am loathe to criticise that, as much as the offensive side of the game was turgid.

we clearly need someone to be able to open teams up....sure we have Benteke & Kozak to come back, but a) thats a few games too many away and B) they are finishers that rely on service..... we need a self creating player like Little, Saunders or Yorke that can unlock defences.....maybe a bit wishful thinking to be that good but along those lines and that kind of stature.

Whatever, reasons anyone wants to use Gabby and weimann are too inconsistent and don't deliver regularly enough.....another point is we do not help ourselves with decision making....how many times do balls come across and no one is at the far post.....some players make a career full of goals just lurking at the back post.

just not enough Nous at times to even make the best of what we have.

Paranoid was great. Please keep it as run out music. Unique to us. Agree no music when we score though (not that we would hear it much)

It's problematic when your folk backs are your most dangerous attacking players. I hope Lambert and Keane Willk be addressing that this week because Hull look ripe for the picking.

Decent first half, not so decent 2nd half. Weimann worked hard but made more than a few bad choices with the ball. The one when he should've passed it to Delph who came running free into their penalty area but took a shot instead, stands out. Gabby was even worse.

Our midfield was decent but we need more movement. Sanchez had a good debut for the short spell he was on. Great first pass. Zog wasn't that bad, but when he was brought off he looked a bit tired and I think that nost of all they feared that he'd get a 2nd yellow. But I thought it was wrong to take Richardson off instead of Gabby when Bent came on.

The defence is what pleased me the most. Looked solid. Last week I hoped that Hutton would play which I never thought I'd want again, and this weekend I thought he was motm, which I absolutely never thought I'd say. With Cissokho as a close 2nd. And when was the last time we could say that our two fullbacks were our best players? Not that everyone agree that they were, but I think of us thought they were very good. Hope Cissokho is back against hull.

And I really dislike that Cabella boy. Looked a tosser, acted a tosser.

Anyway, not pleased with the performance, nor really displeased. And two clean sheets and 4 points from the two opening games ain't that bad. And whilst it's worrying that we haven't had more than one shot at target in two games according to the statistics I'm not that worried about it. First of all I don't think it's true as blocked shots by defenders in the pen area should be counted as shots on target too, and a lose shot from far out wide that the keeper won't have any trouble with will be counted as a shot on target whilst Zog's header in the first was quite a good chance. But we should still do better.

Delighted with the 4 points from the first two games, both games were ones we would have lost over the last two seasons.  Newcastle have spent more money and have better players so a draw at home is a good result. Stoke's power always troubled us, but thanks to the new look back line we have we won't be bullied anymore and that's a big weakness addressed.  Sanchez should hopefully solve the weakness in midfield offering more protection for the defense (and more muscle), just going forward needs addressing now.  I am happy for us to go with what we have till Jan as I want to see hope Joe Cole, N'Zogbia and Grealish do for now. I think once Benteke comes back our attacking play will improve as we just couldn't hold up the ball well against Newcastle or Stoke for that matter.

Guzan - 7 - Only needed to make a couple of saves but they were crucial.

Cissokho - 7 - Looks like a fantastic signing. Strong, quick , defensively disciplined, good crosser what's not to like.

Vlaar - 7 - Need him to stay, Did what he needed to do.

Senderos - 7 - Did what he needed to do. Like Dunne he has mistakes in him but otherwise looks solid.

Hutton - 7 - Strong, quick and surprisingly disciplined in defense, carried the ball out of defense well.

Delph - 6.5 - Worked hard, tackled well, needs to start doing more in attack.

Westwood - 6 - Too easily bypassed (as usual). Has a nice touch and can pass so he should really be trying to control the game.

Richardson - 6 - Worked hard, tried make things happen but thing didn't go for him.

N'Zogbia - 6 - Looks determined, like he has a point to prove. If he had a bit of luck would have scored 1 and assisted another, but in the end had to be subbed as he looked to be trying to get himself sent off.

Gabby - 5 - Tried to hold the ball up and did ok when it was into feet but he needs someone to feed off, and needs service, unable to get in behind (Thus his threat was nil)!

Weimann - 5 - Worked hard tried to make things happen. Gave to ball away too often, no supply and needs someone to feed off! Picked up good positions in the box (on the occasions he got in there).

Edited by Philosopher

Shocking performance for me. Nothing going forward and no shots on target is unacceptable, we never looked like scoring. Newcastle missed a couple of sitters too. Ball goes forward and we have Gabby/Wiemann who just don't have a clue what to do, no footballing brain between them. We are the new Stoke im afraid and its showing, 30k turned up for our first home game, the Hull game next week could see 27k or less.

My friend came down for the game and he's a Newcastle fan and said it was one of the worst games he has ever seen, unfortunately over the last few seasons at Villa I have seen much worse than that.

A point at home to Newcastle is an okay result but for £42 a ticket I am not interested in watching us grind out a 0-0, play some attacking football or else the fans will continue to leave Villa Park.

Yes we need to see better football, and yes we should be more positive at home, but the reality is if we had tried to get at them we would've got beat. Having said that when Benteke's back we should be a bit more positive.