• Poor
    • Very poor
  3. 3. Refereeing performance

• Very good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very poor

Positives: much more solid defensively than last year.

Negatives: toothless and clueless going forward.

We're at home, it's a game we should be looking to win. So at 0-0 what does Lambert do? Take off our best attacking player and put on a defensive midfielder. Pure McLeish. What is the point of signing Joe Cole if you don't use him in that situation?

Ho hum.

I would've thought that Zog's yellow card (and possibly likely second yellow to come with Mike Dean in charge) contributed as much as anything to that substitution being made.

I'm not advocating "total football", but we do need to keep the ball more to have any chance of a decisive win.

confidence doesn't just come from winning it also comes from dominating the game....we need to improve this aspect of our game particularly at home.

I think our play at home is concerning.

My condonlences to everyone at villa park today

TBH, the Villa faithful seemed quite upbeat today.

They are probably happy with a point, solid defending and the fact that the transfers seems good. I am happy with the first two matches. Something to build on.

We didn't lose at home and defensively we looked strong. A couple of good points there.

Two games and one shot in target that's a concern. People will say we have four points but we are not going to get away with that against stronger terms. We really don't know what we are doing going forward.

Newcastle should have won today with chances they had.

I'm happy with four points from two games but some of the same concerns as last season for me.

My condonlences to everyone at villa park today

TBH, the Villa faithful seemed quite upbeat today.

They are probably happy with a point, solid defending and the fact that the transfers seems good. I am happy with the first two matches. Something to build on.

Having seen some shockers over the last few years, that wasn't the worst by far.

I think the fans can see the team are doing their best and that's all we ask. The defence seems like it's much stronger than last season. Just hope it stays that way and we get Benteke or Kozak firing.

Still think we need a midfielder and a loan striker.

All in all this is a solid improvement on last season. I take heart from the thought that we will be stronger in attack, with Benteke coming back as well as Grealish and the Rock finding their feet.

I think the subs were a defining issue and for us NZogbia was on a yellow and could easily have got a 2nd just before he was subbed. Then Cissokho getting injured and just before he came off Richardson was holding his leg not sure if he was injured butch is delivery from that left side was starting to cause trouble. If NZogbia and Cissokho could have stayed on I think we would definitely have seen at least one of Cole or Grealish. Mike Dean was awful gave silly bookings and strange fouls. Overall I'm quite happy the way we played. Newcastle will be looking to catch Everton after their spending and for me there wasn't much in it. Having Gabby and Weimann in the team harms us but it won't be for too much longer. Hopefully we can sign 2 more attack minded players and I think we'll be set. Looking forward to Wednseday now give the likes of Cole Grealish Sanchez Gardner Bacuna a start and let them stake a claim.

Solid at the back, another clean sheet, point against a team who beat us twice last season, Delph looks superb, Cissokho looks a bargain, Westwood looking back to best

Gabby is way off form, need better options up front, we won't score many without this and need benteke back soon.

• Like 1

I think we should really judge this result after the hull game next week. If we win that and end up with 7 points from our first three games it won't look too bad a result against a decent team. Lose next week and it looks like a poor result and 3 points squandered

We lost this game last year, didn't look like losing it today, really pleased with the defence, everyone looked solid, cissokho was great, Hutton wasn't far behind, Delph MOTM his running with the ball is awesome, Westwood was ok, gabby was ok when he got involved, Nzogbia good 1st half but him and Richardson went missing in the 2nd, Sanchez looked good

Newcastle were what, 8 places higher than us last year, spent some cash and bought in 5/6 players this summer, were they better than us? Not for me, Cabella looked a player (albeit a roll round on the floor fanny of a player) but they don't look better than we did, it wasn't a great game but that was both of us rather than just us

And the ref was piss poor, so inconsistent, Sanchez yellow card was a shocker, good job he didn't have any big decision to make because he would have got it wrong

Edited by villa4europe