• Poor
    • Very poor
  3. 3. Refereeing performance

• Very good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very poor

I have no doubt in my mind if we had Benteke or even Kozak up front we'd of scored 1 or 2 in the first half today. We were putting in some superb crosses but Gabby struggles with most things, never mind trying to out jump Coloccini.

Defence was absolutely superb once again, Delph had a good game as well. We're just really lacking up top, once Benteke is back we'll be fine imo.

Positives: much more solid defensively than last year.

Negatives: toothless and clueless going forward.

We're at home, it's a game we should be looking to win. So at 0-0 what does Lambert do? Take off our best attacking player and put on a defensive midfielder. Pure McLeish. What is the point of signing Joe Cole if you don't use him in that situation?

Ho hum.

Can't wait to get Kozak and Benteke back, both should walk into the team IMO. Gabby not good enough, Weimann was poor today too.

Defence was brilliant. Long may the Hutton resurrection continue, motm for me closely followed by Cissokho.

Would've taken a draw before the game so not much to complain about. Need to beat hull next week though given the fixtures after that.

• Like 1

Glad for the point.

Had to watch the last half of the game with the volume down due to that nasty little assistant commentator with a Geordie accent.

Not sure what commentators you guys get, but this guy was ultra negative towards the Villa.

They should not have fans of the opposing team commentating.

It spoils my experience having to listen to the constant whining.

• Like 1

Sorry to have to say it but I can't see any reason to keep Gabby in the team now. He only seems to be on the pitch to utilise his pace but his decision making and positioning are very poor - he seems to be wasting a space in the team at the moment. He just isn't offering enough.

To be honest that's all I've ever thought of him.

• Like 2

Four points from two games that we took zero points from last season. 

It's a good start and there's lots of room for improvement which I'm sure we're capable of. We've got our best player to come back plus Okore and Kozak.

If we add a winger to replace Weimann or Gabby who were both absolutely desperate today then we're in good shape to finish solidly mid table I think. 

UTV. 

Edited by Milfner
  • Like 1

We look good at the back, Cissokho and Saachez look very good signings and we've got a good point against a decent Newcastle side and a terrible referee.

This team with Benteke in it will win a fair amount of football matches.

I'm not too displeased by what I've seen today, yeah we don't carry much threat, but we look like we'll be pretty difficult to beat and threat is coming.

• Like 3

I really despise Pardew. Comes out with post match comments like "we were in complete control" "Should be leaving with 3pts"

In so much control you didn't score and actually ended the game with 10 men.

Thought we were decent first half but second was more what we've been used to the last few seasons unfortunately. I don't like to point the finger at specific players but what does Gabby offer? I'm sorry but as I've previously said he gets an easy ride and his goalscoring record is poor at best. I don't even think he's that quick anymore.

Yes we don't create many chances for him and yes he plays out wide, but he's one of our most experienced players and should be performing better than he is.

Both full backs were decent and Hutton easily MOTM for me. Defensively we look good but just seem to lack numbers/belief when going forward. I think when Kozak/Benteke are back we should improve.

Overall two clean sheets in a row is a positive to build on. Need a confidence building win on Wednesday night to set us up for the Hull game

Delighted about the clean sheet, back 4 were brilliant.

We lack more creativity and someone to finish - Gabby & Weimann poor… as most have said once Benteke back we 'll be ok.

Hopefully see more of Cole and Grealish… thought N'Zogbia played well.

Signings? A winger that can dribble, pass and cross. Dont think we need to sign another striker.

Hopefully see Cole, Okore, Bent, Grealish and Sanchez start midweek!

Four points from two games we got nothing from last year.  Two clean sheets in a row.  Quality attacking players still to return to the side.   Call me a fool but I'm actually quite optimistic at the moment. 

Same here. We have always cried out for a solid defence. Seems like were not as soft as last season.

Goose           -    7

Hutton           -    8 (MOTM)

Senderock     -   7

Vlaar              -   7

Cissokho        -   8

Westwood      -   7

Delph             -   7

Richardson    -   5

Weimann       -   2

Zog                -   6

Gabby            -   5

The Rock       -   6

Bent               -   4

Baker             -   4

Lambert         -   7

We look good at the back, Cissokho and Saachez look very good signings and we've got a good point against a decent Newcastle side and a terrible referee.

This team with Benteke in it will win a fair amount of football matches.

I'm not too displeased by what I've seen today, yeah we don't carry much threat, but we look like we'll be pretty difficult to beat and threat is coming.

Exactly how I feel too OBE. I would rather us be tight at the back when we're playing our best defenders knowing that our best attackers are still to come back into the side.