3. 3. Refereeing performance

• Very good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very poor

Delph motm for me

Hutton, Westwood, Cissokho did well and The Rock was decent too

1st half was entertaining, 2nd had that all too familiar feeling to it sitting deep and inviting pressure.

I thought the tactics were wrong today, shouldnt set up like that af home but Lambert wont change. Winds me up he never changes takes off players who are not performing.

But hey, decent enough start to the season

A point is a good result. 4 points up on last years fixtures.

But the way we play at home is pathetic. Lambert promises so much at home but always fails to deliver.

Guzan - 7 - did what was required when called upon

Hutton - 9 MOM- Very solid and great driving runs forward.

Vlaar - 7- solid

Senderos -7- solid

Cissokho-8- really hope he isn't badly injured.great buy.

Westy- 7- very tidy and looks tougher to beat

Delph-7- typical Delph performance

Zogbia- 6- ok but looks like he doesn't know how to beat a man. That injury looks to have slowed him down.

Richardson-7- pretty invisible but kept us ticking

Gabby- 2- waste of space and not good enough at this level anymore.

Weimann-2- waste of space and never has been or will be good enough at this level

Lambert-4- he's addressed the defence and we look much more solid which is very comforting but his misguided love for the two brain dead dunces up front will be the death of us at home this season

• Like 1

4 points and 2 clean sheets from the first two games is not bad at all and definite progress on last year. Defensively look very good. 

If Delph, Westwood and Sanchez play, then Delph has to be further forward and Gabby needs dropping for Joe Cole.

Away from home I would play Gabby and Andi, but at home one if not both need dropping.

3 points against Hull next week will put us in a good position going into a horrible September.

Look very sturdy, but really lacking in killer instinct and guile up front. If we can address that before the window, to tied us over before Benteke and Kozak come back, then I see us doing OK this season. Hutton MOTM. Fair play to the bloke, who would have believed it? 

Very solid in midfield and defence, just annoying that Sanchez came on for Zog who was doing pretty well rather than for Westwood. Although Zog did get himself booked stupidly.

Guzan: 7 - Couple of very good saves
Hutton: 8 - Little annoying tit Micky Owen gave him MOM and not unjustified
Senderos: 7 - Looked solid, had one dodgy moment
Vlaar: 8 - Concrete
Cissoko: 7 - Really hope he's not injured
Richardson: 6 - Did ok, not hugely influential
Westwood: 6 - Had some great defensive moments but doesn't do enough
Delph: 7 - Some superb runs
Zog: 7 - Stupid tackles aside I thought he did well
Gabby: 5 - Everytime he used his power to win balls the ref blew up, but he never got in the game and squandered the header in front of goal.
Weimann: 6 - A threat in the first half but not great in the second

Sanchez: 6 - Some nice touches, some bad, needs time to get into the game but looks decent
Bent: 6 - Good headed chance
Baker: 6

Ref: Diabolical -3

Lambert: 6 - wish he had brought Cole and Grealish on, but I think he was more scared about losing than winning and I can understand that.

Edited by VillanousOne

Contrary to what some of the doom mongers will say, that was a good result. Defence steady but lacking in attack. Newcastle will score some goals this season but equally I think we didnt exploit the massive spaces they left due to Weimann and Gabby playing like children. 

Everyone but the strikers had a good game, Delph grew into it, good to have Sanchez who can win some headers and be a force. Nzogbia still inconsistent but dangerous. Defence and full backs played very well again. Richardson and Westwood good at occupying space and keeping Newcastle at bay certainly in the first half. 

Lamber & Keane watch:

No fights in two games, disappointing. 

Last season Stoke and Newcastle did the double on us. This season we have 4 points from playing them once each.

I really do try to be disappointed that we didn't win today, but I just can't.

Another clean sheet and 4 points in the bank. Yep, I'll take that :)

Hutton MOTM.

• Like 2

Hutton was very good! Frustrating to not score but still relatively hapy with 4 points and two clean sheets. Bare in mind Paul still wants attacking players in. Cissokho was also very good, if we had proper strikers in the box no doubt we could have had a couple!

• Like 1

Pretty drab game but it was the kind of game that we'd have lost last year so I'll take that. We're missing our two best strikers after all.

We need another striker.....not a tall one a Dwight Yorke stature.....we have no threat up front.

Why does it matter how tall they are?

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2