Pre-Match Thread

maqroll

Cole is certainly being talked up as a starter. Could be interesting - would we change the shape after a win?

I think our shape and squad last week was set up for an away performance. Therefore keeping it the same would ultimately give Newcastle more of the ball which I don't think Lambert will want at VP this year. Its a tricky one to change the squad after last week but I doubt Newcastle will be as poor as Stoke were. Lambert will ultimately pick a side to try and dictate play at home so I can see Cole coming in for Gabby potentially. Would be good to have Sanchez in for some steel I. The middle but a lot depends on his fitness.

Not confident with this one, I barely ever am at home so if we avoid defeat then it wouldn't be a bad start to the season. Can't stand Pardew and we have a horrible record against him so for that alone I hope we pull it out the bag.

• Like 1

Can't see Cole starting the game, id go with

----------Guzan

Hutton--Vlaar-Senderos-Ally

--------The Rock

N'Zogbia- Delph - Richardson

-----Weimann- Gabby

Grealish, Cole, Westwood, Bent, Given, Bacuna and Clarke as subs

Cole is certainly being talked up as a starter. Could be interesting - would we change the shape after a win? 

Don't think the shape would change much.

Cole either comes in for richardson or he comes in for one of our wide players and richardson plays out wide.

I think westwood and potentially nzogbia will be dropped for this game.

Lambert won't drop Gabby. He loves him. He will start every game this season if he's fit. Can't be doing without that lightning pace can we Paul? Even though 9times out of 10 there is zero end product.

Last year we gave Ben Arfa the freedom of Villa Park and he ripped us a new asshole. This year it's Cabella's who has the potential to do that to us.

Very quick footed like Ben Arfa but physically he is weak as piss. Tell Hutton and Cissokho to crunch him early and let him know he's gonna have a rough ride. My guess is in only his second game he will shrink rather than rise to the challenge.

Hopefully De Jong isn't fit because Colback and Anita hold no threat at all going forward.

My team would be

---------------------------Guzan--------------------------

Hutton--------Senderos------Vlaar--------Cissokho

------------------Sanchez-----Delph---------------------

Zogbia--------------------Cole---------------Richardson

-----------------------------Bent-----------------------------

Gabby needs a message that he isn't Mr Villa and even though Weimann scored last week it doesn't change the fact that he's a poor player. Lets see how hungry Bent is to turn his Villa career around.

• Like 1

On my way to Birmingham right now, landed at Schipol Airport now in Amsterdam, have to be the biggest airport I've ever been to.

Very odd that Britians second largest city doesn't have any direct flights to Stockholm..

I'll be going to Villa Park early and I will sing (even though my accent is utterly sh**) until I have no voice left. Up the villa, make me proud tomorrow lads. Hoping for a great atmosphere!!

Schipol is a huge airport. I remember taxiing for what seemed like a good 30 mins before takeoff when flying home from Amsterdam.

Nice to have genuine options for the first time in a long time.

Looking at the line ups and benches it's refreshing to see it feels we have a bit depth in our squad this year. The bomb squad should of never been frozen out last season IMO. We look strong with them than without.

Back to tomorrow. I think we need to have a little reality check they we ain't gonna be world beaters this season. I see Newcastle just edging it 2-1. I say this cause I hate pardew with passion. Smug idiot he is.

Going with Delph to get our goal.

I had a very vivid dream last night that we beat the barcodes 3-1. Normally I don't take note of stuff like that... but having looked through my old photos today, I stumbled across this:

BRAGER_zpsafac8a67.jpg

That was taken on the 11th June, a month before the actual match.

This time I'm putting money on it... just in case.

What was that photo taken from?

I remember some years ago me and my mate kept seeing 1111 everywhere. Then on the 11/11 Villa were playing Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. There were other stats that pointed to 1's also but I can't remember them all. Anyway I was convinced this meant we would beat Jose's Chelsea and I put a wager on it.

Get what the score was.......

1-1 !!!!!

• Like 1

Gabby needs a message that he isn't Mr Villa and even though Weimann scored last week it doesn't change the fact that he's a poor player. Lets see how hungry Bent is to turn his Villa career around.

Not sure how playing Darren "Just waiting to retire" Bent reinforces to Gabby that you have to work hard in order to play.

I think what makes Gabby difficult to drop (And it's not his performances) is his ability to play all three of the forward positions - Weimann can play on the right or up front, N'Zogbia can play on either flank and Gabby can play in all three spots - I've a feeling the manager likes that flexibility.

Of the midfield three, I think Richardson was the weakest against Stoke and he's the one I'd bench for Sanchez, However, if the manager thinks that Cole is better in an advanced role than Westwood, then he could replace him too. 

Personally, I think that's a little unfair, but it is great to have options - in theory we could play a midfield three of Sanchez, Cole and El Ahmadi tomorrow, none of whom played against Stoke - it's been a while since we could change our entire midfield without looking very weak. I like this.

What was that photo taken from?

I remember some years ago me and my mate kept seeing 1111 everywhere. Then on the 11/11 Villa were playing Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. There were other stats that pointed to 1's also but I can't remember them all. Anyway I was convinced this meant we would beat Jose's Chelsea and I put a wager on it.

Get what the score was.......

1-1 !!!!!

It's a photo I took of my TV - I was playing FIFA World Cup 2014 on my PS3 :P

Edited by F-87

Well not long before we see if Lambert has managed to improve the football over the last 2 season especially the home form, Stoke away was a solid performance but in no way was it the type of football that I would like to see us play week in week out.

Don't get me wrong I thought bar the 1st 20mins we played well against an awkward team who give away very little at home so I applaud Lambert for the tactics used. At home against Newcastle it will be a good chance to see if the ufff ball tactics have been replaced by passing and although I still think we are short of that real creative spark, passing that can hurt the opposition.

A false dawn or the real deal, we shall soon see.