• Poor
    • Very poor
  3. 3. Refereeing performance

• Very good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very poor

Pundits have really been talking Stoke up while tipping us for the drop, so a very satisfying result.

I thought Cissokho was excellent, very solid defensively and surprised how much he contributed going forward.

Considering how little practise we get at holding onto a lead in the last few minutes, I was impressed by the quality of our time wasting :)

Stoke weren't awful they came up against a determined, disciplined,dogged,and intelligent defence..including westy and delph.

Great credit to pl and rascally roy ..already allayed fears of a rot towards the end of last year.

Easy to underestimate this result and performance at a hard place...better in many ways than besting arsenal last year.

• Like 1

Stoke weren't awful they came up against a determined, disciplined,dogged,and intelligent defence..including westy and delph.

Yeah there's very little you can do against a team that presses you like that for 90 minutes. Stoke were by no means great, but we gave them little opportunity to be.

• Like 2

Good thing about that performance is that you can see it translating into home wins, it wasn't just backs to the wall we actually attacked in numbers so when the onus is on us to attack maybe we can actually do that if we keep playing to that standard.

Brilliant! Obviously it's the first day and I won't get carried away, but I just think we looked a lot more intelligent on the ball. We seemed a lot less likely to do something daft and it looked as though we were actually using our heads, especially towards the end to see the match off. Back 4 was awesome today. Vlaar was solid as usual, Senderos showed a lot of fight and did very well. The 2 of them could have a good understanding between them. Hutton looked lively and made some good challenges, a good start for him resurrecting his Villa career. I was impressed with Cissokho. Looks strong and actually did look good on the ball, contrary to what we've heard. Once Sanchez is in the mix then we could end up being very difficult to break down. Great to see Grealish get a run out, looked to make thinks happen when he came on. Overall, a good disciplined performance and something we can build on. With our injury stricken players soon to be returning (hopefully) we'll be looking pretty solid.

• Like 2

Really happy with today's result, I did have a positive feeling about this game but deep down felt that Stoke would probably win it 2-1. My Main points...

• Back four. Oh my, how long have we been waiting to watch a Villa back four that look solid? A back four where you're not constantly biting your nails when the opposition is attacking, fantastic.
  • Midfield looked solid, Westy and Richardson* looked calm, and got themselves all over the pitch.
  • Attack: Gabby (in my opinion) simply can't start the next game. He was poor towards the end of last season, and he just looks like a shadow of the Gabby we loved. I'd like to see a slight formation change with Bent playing the role Andi did today, and switching Andi to where Gabby was 'supposed' to be today for the next game. I know Bent doesn't knock them in like he used to, but get the ball in the six yard box and he'll still put them in the onion bag as far as I am concerned.
  • Managerial: Looked like there was a lot more passion from the players which has to be passed down by management, if Lambert truly was the mastermind behind getting Roy in then all is forgiven for his past misgivings.

I like this feeling, I haven't had this feeling for a number of years, I actually have some (misguided?) feeling that we can finish top half... yes, even after just one game :)

*Edit: See this - http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/11825-ratings-and-reactions-stoke-0-1-villa/page-6#entry1419003 :blush:

Edited by Chewie

Solid, workmanlike, disciplined.

Long time since our defensive display didn't warrant circus music in the background.

Thought ref should have booked at least 2 Stokies, especially Pieters and N'Zonzie and was far too finicky in carding our players.

Cissohko MOM for me, as good an LB performance for Villa as I've seen for an age.

Well deserved win. 

Teams usually pillage us out wide but neither Cissokho nor Hutton gave an inch today.

There was plenty of passion there today and having a bit more experience made a huge difference in the last 15 minutes.

The back 4 was staggeringly different to last season.

Last season i'm sure we would have conceded the equaliser and then probably the winner in the last 10 minutes due to brain fades and lapses of concentration.

Today I never felt like they were going to score, in fact I expected us to score again (and we would have if Bacuna was 3 matches in and not 3 minutes IMO). Hutton, Vlaar, Senderos and Cissokho were simply brilliant.

Just a fantastic feeling to win and play so assuredly away from home. Let's hope it's not a false dawn like last season's opener.