• Poor
    • Very poor
  3. 3. Refereeing performance

• Very good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very poor

Our whole defense deserves MotM. I give it to Vlaar for consistency, Cissokho was great in the first period, but had an easier time in the second. Special mention to Senderos.

Add Sanchez and we're really hard to beat.

• Like 1

Very pleased with that. Disappointed with Gabby, but he was one negative point in a very good performance. The back 4 were solid and all made crucial blocks/tackles, Westwood and Delph were tidy and didn't look as lost in midfield as they did at points last season. Richardson put in a really good shift, N'Zogbia had some nice touches. Weimann was better than he was most of last season and grabbed the winner, Grealish came on and did a job.

With Sanchez an option from next week and Benteke to come back, it's a promising start. Winning at Stoke is no easy task either, far from it.

Stoke were truly awful, so I'm taking a pinch of salt. Nonetheless, fantastic start to the season. Great work rate from the whole side, very solid debuts by all the new Villans. 

I'd sit CNZ for Grealish next week, Gabby for Bent and Westwood for Sanchez.

• Like 2

Guzan - 6, Did his job on the rare occasion that he was called upon. Had a couple of iffy moments, but did nothing overtly wrong.

Hutton - 8, Absolutely solid, tireless, commited. He's back!

Senderos - 8, Nothing got passed him.

Vlaar - 8, As Senderos.

Cissokho 9 - Stand out today for me. Ran up and down the line all afternoon and gave nothing away. Actually tackled someone once too, I saw it, I swear!

Westwood - 7, Solid.

Weimann - 6, Took his goal decently well but did not too much except for harrassing the opposition.

Richardson  7, Good debut, has an eye for a pass and played some excellent balls about.

N'Zogbia - 5, Runs into the first available defender far too often.

Delph 7 - Same as Westwood, solid presense in midfield. Played Cissokho in a few times with some good passes.

Agbonlahor 6, Like Andi, a bit ineffectual but he really shouldn't be leading the line on his own.

Grealish - Not long enough to judge but did nothing wrong and was always available.

Bacuna - Shocking miss.

Lambert - 8, we absorbed everything Stoke threw at us and countered reasonably well. Will be interesting to see how we line up with The Rock next week.

Ref - BIRD SHIT!

• Like 1

In past seasons, we allow that heartbreak goal in the last dying moments of the game. However, with the more professional, experienced back line, we have a blocked shot and three points.

That may be a trend we see a lot this year. Subtle yet valuable little things that our older players pull in the last few minutes of the game to see it out.

Well done. UTV!

• Like 3

Our whole defense deserves MotM. I give it to Vlaar for consistency, Cissokho was great in the first period, but had an easier time in the second. Special mention to Senderos.

Add Sanchez and we're really hard to beat.

If he can get in the side. Westwood and Delph haven't done anything to warrant being dropped yet, long may it continue too.

• Like 1

As good as our victory away at Arsenal last year.

Previous seasons we would have crumbled at one nil up.

We simply must pick up as many points as we can before our awful September run.

Im pessimistic when it comes to the Villa but I hope those absolute dunces I sat next to at Chesterfield screaming at our 17 year olds and saying they were gonna shoot our players feel slightly dickish about now.

Probably not.

UTV

• Like 2

That was an extremely good performance, yes Stoke were poor but we contributed heavily to that, so firstly congrats to Lambert and the coaches for getting it right. 

The defence was solid with the only poor points really being Guzan's kicking. Both Vlaar and Senderos played very well, with crucial blocks but both full backs really stood out for me. Hutton and Cissokho were fantastic, very few mistakes defensively but also offered us an outlet going forward.

Delph and Richardson did a superb amount of running in the midfield, which was one of the key reasons we did so well, working hard as a team. N'Zogbia didn't do much except a fantastic turn for the goal, I'd like to see him more central rather than out wide. I can't even moan too much about Andi and Gabby, the former getting the goal and I thought Gabby really put a shift in, although he missed that chance. 

Until I can vote every week for Grealish's hair to be Man of the Match, I gave it to Aly, but there was certainly a great sense of a team performance which I haven't seen for a while, with players helping each other out, asking for the ball and trying to be positive. 

Very happy Villa fan. 

• Like 3

I was surprised how well Richardson, Senderos and Hutton played. Hutton was way above Lowton from last season in defense. I hope Cissokho keeps this up, he was immense and doesn't suffer same lapse as Luna.

• Like 1