Croatia

Zatman

• 7 months later...

Could do with some Croatia advice from those who have been. Wife and I are looking at having a week or so there this year - debating whether or not take the baba (1year old). 

We want to see a few of the main things there, so really that means visiting Dubrovnik and Split (plus Hvar). Really want to see the Plitvice Lakes as well, but it’s a good 2.5hrs away from Split. Read it’s 2hrs from Zadar, which also looks like a decent place to visit.

Anybody managed to squeeze the lakes into a trip at all? If so, how did you go about it? 

Edited by Tayls

On 20/03/2019 at 19:16, Tayls said:

Could do with some Croatia advice from those who have been. Wife and I are looking at having a week or so there this year - debating whether or not take the baba (1year old). 

We want to see a few of the main things there, so really that means visiting Dubrovnik and Split (plus Hvar). Really want to see the Plitvice Lakes as well, but it’s a good 2.5hrs away from Split. Read it’s 2hrs from Zadar, which also looks like a decent place to visit.

Anybody managed to squeeze the lakes into a trip at all? If so, how did you go about it? 

Was in Plitvice last summer. Stayed at B&B close to the park, about a 30 min bus ride. There are plenty of options, when it comes to accommodation in the villages around the park. I'm pretty sure there's buses to/from the park from any of the bigger cities as well. 

If you're going to Plitvice, make sure you get there early(if you're there in holiday seasons). As early as possible. By 10 o clock it starts turning into a horrible tourist trap. And you'll spend the day walking/standing in ques, behind guided groups or people taking photos for Instagram. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Skruff said:

Was in Plitvice last summer. Stayed at B&B close to the park, about a 30 min bus ride. There are plenty of options, when it comes to accommodation in the villages around the park. I'm pretty sure there's buses to/from the park from any of the bigger cities as well. 

If you're going to Plitvice, make sure you get there early(if you're there in holiday seasons). As early as possible. By 10 o clock it starts turning into a horrible tourist trap. And you'll spend the day walking/standing in ques, behind guided groups or people taking photos for Instagram. 

Nice one @Skruff - thank you for the advice. 

Was it just Plitvice that you visited or was it part of a wider trip to Croatia? What else did you get up to there, any other suggestions? 

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

Nice one @Skruff - thank you for the advice. 

Was it just Plitvice that you visited or was it part of a wider trip to Croatia? What else did you get up to there, any other suggestions? 

Sadly I was in Croatia for only a few days. Stayed some nights in Zagreb. Which I really liked, small cosy capital yet buzzing with plenty of good options for food and drinks, worth to check out if you like cities. I made the trip from Zagreb to one of the villages near Plitvice with bus. Spent the night and went to the national park early in the morning. Plitvice is really beautiful and worth checking out, in my opinion. I keep repeating myself, but if you decide to go, make plans so you can get to the park as early as possible. 

As for the coast I have no clue. Keep hearing good things about Dubrovnik and Split. 

• 1 month later...
On 20/03/2019 at 18:16, Tayls said:

Lovely place. Probably my favourite place I’ve been on holiday. We were not far from Split, and that whole area is lovely. We took our 3 young kids. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So back from 10 days in Croatia. Couple of nights in Dubrovnik, then sailed round for 7 days seeing different islands including Hvar, Vis and Korcula. Finished in Split for a final night. Really pretty country, I’d recommend people to go there. It is very expensive though. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Off to Pula in the north on saturday for a week with the family. 

really looking forward to a holiday as missed the whole summer working.

kids have never been on a.plane before either and have no idea we're going away! 

• Like 1

Â