Croatia

Zatman

heading to Croatia soon, Zadar specifically. Anybody know any good spots to go to or any tips from when they were there. finances particularly be helpful.  How cheap is it compared to UK and Ireland?

heading to Croatia soon, Zadar specifically. Anybody know any good spots to go to or any tips from when they were there. finances particularly be helpful.  How cheap is it compared to UK and Ireland?

Been to Croatia a few of times, once with mates, another with family, another with the girlfriend, so have a decent overall idea.

I've mainly been centred around the islands to the south (Korcula, Hvar, Brac) + Dubrovnik...or alternatively the Lakes to the north and Pula/Pag, but haven't actually stopped in Zadar itself. I hear Zadar itself is a pretty decent place, you'll have a great time there. Croatia is a STUNNING country, and I'm a bit gutted it's becoming more popular in Britain now. It's always kind of been an undiscovered Mediterranean gem. 

Let me know how long you'll be there, what sort of thing you're looking to do and i'll have a think for you.

As a general rule, cost wise, expect it to be cheaper than England, but don't expect crazy Thailand prices. Food can get expensive quickly, but you'll get amazing Pizzas for £6-7. A pint of beer for example will cost ~ £2.50. I have always found accomodation to be cheap there. You will be able to get a sea-facing apartment on the islands for £20/head.

I'd make sure to get your Kuna before you leave. Thomas Cook did me a great deal, just ask their rate, then tell them you got whatever they said + 2-3% at Bath Travel or suchlike and they'll match it as long as you're getting >£100.

Edited by Djemba_Villan
  • Like 1

Went to Zadar last month. It's slightly cheaper than the UK and definitely a bit cheaper than Ireland . The old town is nice and the Sea Organ and Greetings to the Sun are definitely both worth checking out. There's quite a few national parks not so far away and you can book when you get there. Have you got accommodation sorted as I can recommend somewhere if you haven't.

One thing I would say is the food is a bit samey. Loads of Mediterranean/Italian food which gets a bit boring after a while.

• Like 1

cheers lads. going for a week but just looking for the basic things like sights and beaches and maybe bars ;), think might be heading into Bosnia as well when im there but not 100% sure yet. have accomodation sorted as getting an apt near the beach so thats quite handy

If you get a chance to eat pašticada then take it, beautiful dish. It is beef steak marinated in red wine (according to people I asked over there; internet recipes suggest vinegar) and served in a really tasty sauce (a bit reminiscent of goulash) with homemade gnocchi.

cheers lads. going for a week but just looking for the basic things like sights and beaches and maybe bars ;), think might be heading into Bosnia as well when im there but not 100% sure yet. have accomodation sorted as getting an apt near the beach so thats quite handy

Bosnia is great but be prepared for a hefty coach journey! 

If it's the nearest beach to Zadar, just bear in mind it's a pretty crappy beach. There's a couple a bit further away which are supposed to be nicer though so hopefully it's one of those.

• 1 month later...

just back and its a pretty awesome country, weather was awesome, food and drink was great value as well and people are really nice (their level of English really surprised me). was probably best I went now as I think soon it will become a very big touristy place. Where I was it was mainly just elderly German and Dutch tourists

• 2 years later...

Resurrect a thread time......

We are off around Croatia in mid Sept for almost 2 weeks celebrating our Silver Wedding Anniversary. We  have 3 nights in Split, 2 in Hvar, 4 in Dubrovnik and finally 4 in Cavtat. 

So for those that have been do you recommend? 

We will be doing 1 day cycling whilst in Cavtat as it looks lovely for that.

I spent a week in Cavtat, but it was in 2001 so my advice will likely be irrelevant now.  It was a wonderful little town, and Dubrovnik is amazing too.  We went out on a day trip to the Neretva River Delta, which was a great trip.  I presume that's still a thing.

• Like 1

Just did a search and found this - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/croatia/10915149/Exploring-Croatias-Neretva-river-delta.html

The Neretva river delta, around 100km north of Dubrovnik, is a dreamy swampland of more than two million mandarin trees, scores of fig plantations and countless indigenous species of bird.

• 11 months later...

Go tomorrow morning for 10 nights. 15 of us are going, and we have our own apartment complex. We are just outside Split. Hopefully we have a great time, as it was my idea to go to Croatia. Hopefully try and do a bit of travelling, but it may be hard with the kids. 

7 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Go tomorrow morning for 10 nights. 15 of us are going, and we have our own apartment complex. We are just outside Split. Hopefully we have a great time, as it was my idea to go to Croatia. Hopefully try and do a bit of travelling, but it may be hard with the kids

Should be the other way round ;)

I went Bol in Brac Island last month with fiancee and we loved it, was only English people in the hotel (Blue Sun Bonaca, 5min walk from Zlatni Rat Beach) full of French tourists so all entertainment was in French but we had a great time.

Got a Shuttle Bus for around £5 to Split Port from Split Airport then was around £15 each on the Boat over to Isle Of Brac. 

Going to go back to Croatia next May and might try Dubrovnik or Hvar.

Edited by Villan4Life

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The locals are very stand offish

This is the exact opposite to my experience in Dubrovnik. We had the problem of getting them to leave us the **** alone. :lol: Everyone wanted to show us their favourite places. 

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

This is the exact opposite to my experience in Dubrovnik. We had the problem of getting them to leave us the **** alone. :lol: Everyone wanted to show us their favourite places. 

Trogir  weren't too bad, but Segret Vranjica was very very off. The bigger the place the better I suppose. 

• 2 weeks later...

After a late change to our holiday plans we now have return flights to Zadar and a hire car booked and not a lot else. 8 nights to fill in between.

Initial thoughts are Zadar to Plitvica then down to Split, base for a maybe 3 nights and head out to various places (Trogir/Makarska/islands maybe?) from there, then head back towards Zadar via Sibenik/Krka park. Would like to do Dubronik as well but seems like a push, would probably have to knock off Plitvica for that.

Anyone got any advice/recommendations on these places or anywhere nearby? Easy to do islands from Split? Anywhere further inland worth going, say between Plitvica and Split? Zadar worth more than a night or two?

Â