The turning point, we're going to do well this season

CVByrne

With Sanchez and Sissokho we've really tightened up our defense. We also don't have to rely on Westy to be consistently good, but can play him or KEA for example, which is encouraging. I don't think enough has been done with our forwards, so we'll struggle to score goals, again.

All in all I think we have enough quality to stay up. Coaching and tactics will decide our fate. My opinion is we'll be fine.

• Like 1

Always enjoy the pre-season positivity around the place.

Fact is though, in around 9 hours time we'll start killing one another and it won't stop until roughly this time next year.

Enjoy the next few hours because it will be your happiest and most peaceful for a very long time.

• Like 3

It's unexplainable, but I agree with a lot of you. I'm optimistic that this season we'll be alright and floating around the middle of the table.

Talent has come in to the club, most notably in The Rock and then there's the experience we now have. People like Joe Cole, Senderos and Roy Keane won't let the youngsters feel sorry for themselves and go full tilt. They've experienced it all before.

The fans are, on the whole, more happy and optimistic. This could be because we know sooner or later, RL will be gone. Or maybe we're just sick of being miserable every Saturday. Hopefully this will come across in the noise from the Holte End which will give the players and coaching staff the atmosphere they need.

This is a key season for us. If we do well and finish in the middle, we'll hopefully be sold and have more money next season to continue up the table. If we do back, we've cut it too fine the last few seasons so dare I say it, we'll be relegated. I fully believe in thr former. I think we're gonna do some good!

UTV!

Always enjoy the pre-season positivity around the place.

Fact is though, in around 9 hours time we'll start killing one another and it won't stop until roughly this time next year.

Enjoy the next few hours because it will be your happiest and most peaceful for a very long time.

I get what you're saying AM82.

I have mixed feelings about today. I think we'll probably lose but I think the defence will be better than when we played them last and also, the new players will have shaken the place up a bit and maybe that will extract a bit more from those who tend to under-perform.

I would take a draw today and then "go again" with a change or two for the next game, which I think we will win.

Edited by villarocker

I think it's important to stick with Lambert. I don't think he has done particularly well YET but whilst we can't spend as much money as Man City, Chelsea (etc,), if you have a long term manager then at least that gives him power over the players. You want the players to expect the manager to be there when their own contract is up, rather than think "I'm going to be here long after Mr. Manager has gone so I'll get a clean slate when he is sacked.". It worked with Fergie at Man Utd. Players knew that he was the boss, and it didn't matter even if you were Beckham or Ronaldo.

Edited by Honest bunch of lads
  • Like 1

To do an assessment of the past two years, the problems we've had on and off the pitch. The performance of the manager, everything. Understandably people fear it just takes one or two more defats than last year and we're gone.

Firstly Paul Lamber I think he's had to do a very odd and difficult thing with the club. Forced to get rid of the big earners and replace them with lower wage replacements. The only people you can get on lower wages are not experienced Premier League players, they are young inexperienced players.

So he took over a club that had just survived its worst manager in it's Premier League history and survived by a sheer miracle. He made two excellent signings in Vlaar and Benteke, along with Lowton & Westwood who are good too.

We had as expected a tough first season, we survived with a game to spare. Then last summer he went out and had to buy within his wage constraints, so in came 6 players without a minute of Premier League experience. 3 of them turned out to be poor, unfortunately 2 of the good ones were stuck down by season ending injuries when they were in the team and in form.

Last season we also had a crucial injury to Benteke with Kozak already out and Bent at a different club our 3 centre forwards were gone. The points to games ratio of the club with Benteke in it meant we would have possibly ended 4 league places higher had he stayed fit.

So now we come to today, due to lowered wage bill in conjunction with higher income from TV our wage bill is healthy and experienced players were first on the shopping list. 4 come in and our next addition is a very experienced international coming from an equally good league.

We get Hutton, Bent & N'Zogbia back too, so say what you want about their current abilities or usefullness, paying someone to not play is daft as I believe all 3 of these would have been assets last season. Not to mention experience, Hutton on at right back to close out a game instead of a tired inexperienced Bacuna for example?

I am certain the team got complacent after our defeat of Chealsea last spring. We thought we're safe now, and too many players knew their place was safe regardless, well not anymore. People seem to remember the end of last season and that alone, but take that team and add, Benteke, Kozak, Okore, Senderos, Richardson, Sissoko, Sanchez, Cole, N'Zogbia, Bent, Hutton. Hell Grealish too. The drive and respect Keane will command, he won't let complacency seep in like after Chelsea.

Competition for places, voices in the dressing room, experienced players. It's a completely different place now, it looks like a Premier League squad and I'm sure it will feel like one too.

Where we after we beat Chelsea is what we could achieve last season, instead of tailing off we will push on this time. No more tirdness, no more complacency as your replacement is sitting on the bench waiting for his chance.

Prepare for the turning point, enjoy this season.

UTV

Just want I want to hear on the opening day! Great comment, I feel pumped! Bring on Stoke!!!!

UTV

• Like 1

Hmmm, what's that weird feeling?.....Excitement, almost mild optimism....no matter though, I'm sure I'll be *cured* by 5pm this afternoon!

Until then though, UTV!

• Like 4

So glad we got max points

Really sucks that beyond our first 3 games we have some real difficult fixtures which could disrupt momentum

If we can get 4 - 6 points from our next 2 home games it will stand us in good stead for the next month  

So glad we got max points

Really sucks that beyond our first 3 games we have some real difficult fixtures which could disrupt momentum

If we can get 4 - 6 points from our next 2 home games it will stand us in good stead for the next month  

Fair point, but on the other hand if we can get some momentum going we'll have a better chance going into those sorts of games.

It's just important that fans take the awful run of fixtures for what it is - possible bonus points but not much else

No point getting on the backs of the players or staff if we lose them all. If they were scattered evenly throughout the season we'd all likely be expecting a nil return anyway

Hmmm, what's that weird feeling?.....Excitement, almost mild optimism....no matter though, I'm sure I'll be *cured* by 5pm this afternoon!

Until then though, UTV!

How you feeling now then!

Pretty good, thank you very much for asking.  I like this feeling!

• Like 2

There seems an air of resilience around the team and manager given the situation which is no bad thing as a motivation factor.

Not getting too carried away as we had this after Arsenal last year. What is needed is 4 points from Newcastle and Hull and that will represent an excellent start to the season. Still well played everyone today.

• Like 1

Â