The turning point, we're going to do well this season

CVByrne

Guardian podcast tipping us for relegation along with Wet Spam. Also seem convinced Keane is sitting waiting Lambert's job.

Well they (accidentally) tipped us for the title last season so I'm chuffed to bits with that!

We'll finish with 45-47 points this season

:crylaugh:

Is that really so hilarious?

Yes. it is, frankly.

I understand why people are turning optimistic. After four seasons of utter shite, it is in the human spirit to believe in better for the fifth. But we are not really much better off then we were last season, in some respects worse because of the parsimonious control our wantaway-but-can'tactuallygetaway owner has installed. Lambert has done his best in the circs but, as we have seen in previous seasons, his best isn't very good.

but that still doesn't make us getting 7 more points than last season hilarious does it? We could do that by pure fluke.

I'm not saying its likely by the way. I just don't think it's such an outrageous suggestion.

• Like 1

The squad is better than last season, remains to be seen how our competition will strengthen and improve. I don't see us finishing any higher than 12th. 

If we can ship out under performers like Weimann and Agbonlahor, and replace them with actual quality, we could cause a few surprises. 

I like the optimism. Personally I am still terrified but I hope to be optimistic again in a few weeks if we can grab some wins.

It would be lovely to feel comfortable this season and (shock) start to raise our eyes to maybe progressing a little.

• Like 1

Tbh i see no reason to expect anything different and i dont think thats being negative but i hope to obviously do better, when i see a reason for optimism ill have it but last season i was looking forward to a good season and i wont be making the expectancy mistake again.

Pulis left Palace, one less relegation spot in play, possibly two if Burnley are as expected out of their depth at this level.

Looking at the league I think it could be another season where over half the league could be in it. The only clubs that will be definitely out of it IMO are the top 7.

• Like 1

Guardian podcast tipping us for relegation along with Wet Spam. Also seem convinced Keane is sitting waiting Lambert's job.

Well they (accidentally) tipped us for the title last season so I'm chuffed to bits with that!

We'll finish with 45-47 points this season

:crylaugh:

Is that really so hilarious?
Yes. it is, frankly.

I understand why people are turning optimistic. After four seasons of utter shite, it is in the human spirit to believe in better for the fifth. But we are not really much better off then we were last season, in some respects worse because of the parsimonious control our wantaway-but-can'tactuallygetaway owner has installed. Lambert has done his best in the circs but, as we have seen in previous seasons, his best isn't very good.

but that still doesn't make us getting 7 more points than last season hilarious does it? We could do that by pure fluke.

I'm not saying its likely by the way. I just don't think it's such an outrageous suggestion.

Although a repeat of the points we got against man city, Chelsea, and arsenal are less likely to be repeated.

I think we're stronger and more balanced than last season... I think Burnley and Crystal Palace (after yesterdays news - their squad is terrible if you look at it - Pulis was a miracle worker) are very likely to go down. West Brom, Leicester, Southampton will struggle IMO... we'll finish ahead of one of those if our first 11 stays largey fit

I can't see us doing much except avoiding relegation again.. Yes we have a few of our bomb squad back and some free signings but compared to other clubs we have done nothing in the transfer market and last season we had some amazing results against top 4 sides which probably won't happen again. Massive game at Stoke because it could set the tone for the season.

Edited by PaulC

Looks like we're finally signing a defensive midfielder and in my mind that shows good progression from the manager, he also realised we needed to get width now Albrighton has gone plus he signed a left back.

The Cole signing shows he knows we struggled moving the ball from midfield to attack and while he'll probably need replacing (due to constant injuries) if we can eek out half a season we might get away with it, also the bomb squad returning has brought some solid players back.

Signings wise I think the manager has turned a corner, I just hope those players can be part of Lambert's tactical turning point too, I remain the optimist. 

I don't think the manager has really changed.  He signed sylla, tonev and luna last year, so he's identified in the past positions where we need strengthening.  What has changed that this year he has been able to sign experienced players, which we will see if it has the positive impact we expect it to.

Edited by DCJonah

I think it’s a turning point alright, just not a positive one.

We signed Senderos, Joe Cole and Aly Cissokho! FFS we have also brought a few players back in to the squad that hate the managers’ guts.

This is a recipe for disaster when inevitably we’ll end up in the midst of a relegation battle for much of the season.

I hate being so negative but that’s just how I see it at the moment.

I hope I’m wrong. I hope Lambert was being held back by his backroom team and that the hoof ball tactics are gone, that he will develop our young players and we will be the surprise package of the season.

I’m leaving the negativity here by the way and as always I’ll be 100% behind the team.

UTV

team has more balance now then ive seen in a while (assuming players stay fit):

Guzan

Hutton       Vlaar        Okore      Sissokho

Sanchez

Delph        Westwood

N'Zogbia                                     Grealish

Benteke

This will be a very tight league once again. Once again, the battle for relegation could easily fall between 8 or 9 teams. We are in no danger of being relegated, in my opinion, as we were last season. Bad form aside, we still averaged 13th with the second highest injury list in the league.

Reasons why I'm positive:

1) Hopefully sorted our problem left back position

2) No Kersa/Culverhorse negativity

3) Roy Keane will command respect and hopefully improve morale

4) Young players like Gardner and Grealish showing pre-season promise

5) Some experienced players looking keen to play again

6) Sanchez will give us midfield steel

7) Okore getting his fitness back

8) A fit Joe Cole gives an AMC option when at home

9) Hopefully no more Clark/Baker CB partnerships

10) A solid defensive full back in Cissokho

11) More competition for places

Negatives:

1) Without Benteke or Kozak were are stuck with the disinterested Bent

2) Weakness in the other centre midfielder. Westy and KEA are inconsistent

3) The form of players like Weimann. Too pedestrian amidst rare flashes of brilliance

4) Same problem with Agbonlahor

5) No takeover in sight

6) Potential discipline problems with more tough tacklers in the team

The team is good enough to stay in the league and be competitive. We were great at turning games around from losing positions and our record against the top 6 was second to none. The key is not capitulating against teams around us. Got to get rid of the basic errors. Thank God the likes of Baker are not starting now (injuries dependent). We'll be fine until Lerner finally sells up.

• Like 3

Think the role being filled with the Sanchez signing is encouraging......hope he measures up.

If he does, look forward to a tighter defence and a more relaxed and assured offensive side.

Â