The turning point, we're going to do well this season

CVByrne

Whatever the numbers that have been added to the squad I still think we're woefully short of footballing nous both off and on the pitch.

That's not me being negative, just what I see. Anyway negative/positive vibes are all up there with praying for being total BS. Doesn't affect a thing as long you cheer the team on at the ground, so humbug.

• Like 1

Whatever the numbers that have been added to the squad I still think we're woefully short of footballing nous both off and on the pitch.

I would agree to a certain extent, but if Sanchez settles, we might see a bit of a difference creeping in in terms of the other midfielders actually contributing to the attack. My biggest concern is still the whole idea of playing Gabby/Andi on the wings. Doesn't work, causes us more issues than our opponents

I think things look a bit more positive, in terms of we don't look nailed on to go down, but surely it's a bit premature to claim a turning point until something has actually happened.  We may be able to claim a turning point in a few months time but bit early for me.

Guardian podcast tipping us for relegation along with Wet Spam. Also seem convinced Keane is sitting waiting Lambert's job.

Well they (accidentally) tipped us for the title last season so I'm chuffed to bits with that!

We'll finish with 45-47 points this season

:crylaugh:

Is that really so hilarious?

I agree, and the spread is currently 39-41.5

Which means if you buy villa points for £10 a point you get our final season total, subtract 41.5 from that number and multiply the result by £10 and you get your profit or loss.

I think downside worst case is 34 maybe and relegation. Which is -7.5 point and £75 loss. But the upside could be significant, 50 points maybe!!

Funnily enough I would agree with the first poster. We were woefully short of experience last season and got outsmarted or just did not have the mental strength in some games. Stoke at home was the best example where we capitulated through sheer naivity.

Sanchez apart, if it happens, I don't think we have signed anybody special but we have added loads of experience and the reintegration of the Bomb Squad is a positive move. Hutton for example is a competent premiership RB who is unlikely to be mugged the same way others in that position have been.

I'm still pessimistic.

Me, too.

But, if we hold onto Vlaar then the fact is we're stronger than last year.

I think you're right but it doesn't necessarily mean that we'll improve on last season. As I said in one of the other threads, I really worry if we don't (hold on to him), though.

I'll wait and see how we perform before declaring turning points and that we're going to do well (it's nice to see people being optimistic as the new season comes around but I don't share the view).

I hope we do well and I'll be very pleased if we do but it's just as likely to be as bad as the last couple of seasons, too (I don't like the look of our fixtures between now and the middle of October - especially if we're minus Benteke for most/all of that).

• Like 1

i like the optimism, i dont share it, but i like it.

very hard for me to get excited over hutton, zogbia, bent and senderos. Okore might do alright, not sure how fit he is after his injury, the intensity will be alot higher now than over the pre-season. Zogbia has had a long term injury aswell and he wasnt exactly tearing it up before that, expecting him to come back better than before is really really optimistic.

Benteke didnt look that sharp after his last injury but he is one of them i can see recovering fairly well, even if hes half as good as he was when he came here he will be 10 times better then the rest of em.

Cole could do alright, all comes down to how many games he will be able to play througout the year.

got no faith in lambert.

and havent really seen enough of aly to make a statement..

its all just a bit meh.. hopefully we get sold soon!

Edited by tomaspg

Funnily enough I would agree with the first poster. We were woefully short of experience last season and got outsmarted or just did not have the mental strength in some games. Stoke at home was the best example where we capitulated through sheer naivity.

It's like dominos, some complacency post Chelsea win, tiredness due to over relance on same team due to injuries and 3 cheap signings not being good enough. Then one players level slips and another has to cover for him on the pitch weakening the whole team. To resolve that you drop the player and replace him. we can do that this year. Nothing keeps you on your toes better than someone waiting to take your place.

Combine to that this season we will be more flexible tactically, not reliant on the counter attack at home. If an opponent wants to sit deeper to give no space for our players to run into, fine we'll go 4-4-2 with Benteke and Kozak up top, Cole with some guile in centre and wingers crossing balls in, set piece danger outside the box from N'Zogbia and Bacuna. 5 or 6 more points at home is all we're missing.

To do an assessment of the past two years, the problems we've had on and off the pitch. The performance of the manager, everything. Understandably people fear it just takes one or two more defats than last year and we're gone.

Firstly Paul Lamber I think he's had to do a very odd and difficult thing with the club. Forced to get rid of the big earners and replace them with lower wage replacements. The only people you can get on lower wages are not experienced Premier League players, they are young inexperienced players.

So he took over a club that had just survived its worst manager in it's Premier League history and survived by a sheer miracle. He made two excellent signings in Vlaar and Benteke, along with Lowton & Westwood who are good too.

We had as expected a tough first season, we survived with a game to spare. Then last summer he went out and had to buy within his wage constraints, so in came 6 players without a minute of Premier League experience. 3 of them turned out to be poor, unfortunately 2 of the good ones were stuck down by season ending injuries when they were in the team and in form.

Last season we also had a crucial injury to Benteke with Kozak already out and Bent at a different club our 3 centre forwards were gone. The points to games ratio of the club with Benteke in it meant we would have possibly ended 4 league places higher had he stayed fit.

So now we come to today, due to lowered wage bill in conjunction with higher income from TV our wage bill is healthy and experienced players were first on the shopping list. 4 come in and our next addition is a very experienced international coming from an equally good league.

We get Hutton, Bent & N'Zogbia back too, so say what you want about their current abilities or usefullness, paying someone to not play is daft as I believe all 3 of these would have been assets last season. Not to mention experience, Hutton on at right back to close out a game instead of a tired inexperienced Bacuna for example?

I am certain the team got complacent after our defeat of Chealsea last spring. We thought we're safe now, and too many players knew their place was safe regardless, well not anymore. People seem to remember the end of last season and that alone, but take that team and add, Benteke, Kozak, Okore, Senderos, Richardson, Sissoko, Sanchez, Cole, N'Zogbia, Bent, Hutton. Hell Grealish too. The drive and respect Keane will command, he won't let complacency seep in like after Chelsea.

Competition for places, voices in the dressing room, experienced players. It's a completely different place now, it looks like a Premier League squad and I'm sure it will feel like one too.

Where we after we beat Chelsea is what we could achieve last season, instead of tailing off we will push on this time. No more tirdness, no more complacency as your replacement is sitting on the bench waiting for his chance.

Prepare for the turning point, enjoy this season.

UTV

Nice one. Kind of explains my thoughts and positivity. 

Guardian podcast tipping us for relegation along with Wet Spam. Also seem convinced Keane is sitting waiting Lambert's job.

Well they (accidentally) tipped us for the title last season so I'm chuffed to bits with that!

Yes. it is, frankly.

I understand why people are turning optimistic. After four seasons of utter shite, it is in the human spirit to believe in better for the fifth. But we are not really much better off then we were last season, in some respects worse because of the parsimonious control our wantaway-but-can'tactuallygetaway owner has installed. Lambert has done his best in the circs but, as we have seen in previous seasons, his best isn't very good.

Yes. it is, frankly.

I understand why people are turning optimistic. After four seasons of utter shite, it is in the human spirit to believe in better for the fifth. But we are not really much better off then we were last season, in some respects worse because of the parsimonious control our wantaway-but-can'tactuallygetaway owner has installed. Lambert has done his best in the circs but, as we have seen in previous seasons, his best isn't very good.

I had a dream. That's good enough for me.

I think we are better than last season as lambert has been able to sign experienced players and bring the bomb squad back.  I don't think it turns us into a comfortable mid table team but i think it makes us better than last season.

• Like 1

Yes. it is, frankly.

It's 3 more wins, nothing more than that. There's absolutely no reason why, even with the exact same squad as last season, playing against the exact same teams, we could pick up a total of 3 more wins over 38 games if we were to replay the season. I think people tend to forget how small the margins are beyond the top 7 or 8. Nobody outside that group is consistent, and they're all very capable of going on good runs and bad runs, or getting some good or bad luck. A swing of 3 wins for a lower midtable team is not in any way shape or form unrealistic

Yes. it is, frankly.

It's 3 more wins, nothing more than that. There's absolutely no reason why, even with the exact same squad as last season, playing against the exact same teams, we could pick up a total of 3 more wins over 38 games if we were to replay the season. I think people tend to forget how small the margins are beyond the top 7 or 8. Nobody outside that group is consistent, and they're all very capable of going on good runs and bad runs, or getting some good or bad luck. A swing of 3 wins for a lower midtable team is not in any way shape or form unrealistic

I think you underestimate it, there's a reason we've barely averaged just slightly over a point a game for the 2 years lambert has been here.  Using the same logic you could say if we replayed the season there's no reason why we wouldn't go down it was that close.

I think an extra 9 points is pretty huge when you've managed 80 points in 76 games.

Â