Good Headphones?

Demitri_C

My Gummy JVC ones are rubbish. I always get a cheap earphones spending about 15 pounds at the most but these take the biscuit. If i'm listening to music seriously then I'll listen through the speakers anyway, music needs the whole room to breath.

I've got these - http://www.aiaiai.dk/store/headphones/tma-1

I love them, partly because they are rugged as hell but they also sound great. Noise retention is outstanding and isolation is also very very good. I've had them three years and I wouldn't be surprised if they lasted me another ten.

However if you are commuting and listening through a phone etc I do be aware that this won't drive them properly - laptops are better as are proper hifis with a headphone amp.

I've got a set of Denon AH-C120's and I love them. Sure you can get much better 'phones out there but these are the best I've had.

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/pages/product-detail.aspx?catid=headphones&subid=musicmaniac&productid=ahc120

I was looking at these Denon ones yesterday for running

basically i sweat buckets when i run so end up killing my headphones after a while , so I've gone from expensive ones (Bose and Sennheiser thingys)  to cheap ones that i replace every 6 mths or so .. trouble is the sounds is crap and also very low , thanks to the EU noise limits  Grrrrr ..to the point that i have to use a sound booster to hear anything ....

these Denon ones sounded like they performed a bit better  and thought I'd give wireless a go as well  ...  are your Denon ones holding up ok ?

I've got some of the original beats, i'd never wear them out walking around town because i'd look an idiot due to the massive size of them.  But for travelling, especially on planes they are excellent.  Noise cancellation is superb, i'm sure other brands are just as good but i've always been happy with them.

I always find in ear headphones to be very uncomfortable and can only really use them for about 45 minutes before they actually become painful.  But like i said i;d feel like an idiot walking around with big headphones on, anyone know of any very comfortable in ear headphones?

Maybe it's just me but am I the only one that can wear ear headphones for hours on end and not get uncomfortable but I can't wear actual headphones for more than an hour or two without them becoming irritating?

• Like 1

They're a bit expensive, but I can't recommend Sennheiser HD598 enough.

I bought mine like 7-8 years ago (it was HD595 back then). They've been perfect ever since, but due to them having a cord and me continuously getting it stuck on things and dropping them, the arm has started to crack and is now hanging on by a thread. So I've just gone an ordered Sennheiser RS180. They're pretty similar, but cordless.

I use headphones for long periods, sometimes I'll work more than 12 hours without taking them off, and these are so comfortable I hardly notice having them on. They are also open-ended, which really help if you have tinnitus like I do. I wouldn't wear them outside the house though

• Like 1

budget is max £90

Grado Labs SR80e $99USD (They are 99 pounds on Grados own page) If you find something that sounds better than these for that price, please let me know

The Grado's are the best but by design (open type) they suffer from sound leakage, if you not bothered by that then they are unbeatable, if you are then the AKG 550 are hard to beat.

I've got a set of Denon AH-C120's and I love them. Sure you can get much better 'phones out there but these are the best I've had.

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/pages/product-detail.aspx?catid=headphones&subid=musicmaniac&productid=ahc120

I was looking at these Denon ones yesterday for running

basically i sweat buckets when i run so end up killing my headphones after a while , so I've gone from expensive ones (Bose and Sennheiser thingys)  to cheap ones that i replace every 6 mths or so .. trouble is the sounds is crap and also very low , thanks to the EU noise limits  Grrrrr ..to the point that i have to use a sound booster to hear anything ....

these Denon ones sounded like they performed a bit better  and thought I'd give wireless a go as well  ...  are your Denon ones holding up ok ?

Only had them for 6 months but they still look like new and no problems at all. Use them about 4 hours every day and they get screwed up and chucked in the bottom of my bag when not in use but so far they're still performing. Thicker than normal cables seem to mean they're pretty well protected and don't knot up like most do. I'd certainly recommend them.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Info please dear fellow villans :) 

I have a pair of Bose QC noise cancelling headphones. Had these about 3 years now and have recently notice i can hear more outside noise than normal. My question is do noise cancelling headphones lose there effectiveness over time?

I love the headphones, comfortable, like the sound quality etc. Is it time to put them on ebay and get some more?

Possibly, if the mic(s) is clogged or damaged.

They work by listening to the surroundings and generating an exact copy, but out of phase. Destructive interference.

If the system isn't picking up very well, it's not cancelling very well.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2014 at 22:25, Stevo985 said:
On 13/08/2014 at 18:29, limpid said:

If you think Beats are good headphones then you'll have to explain what you actually want from your headphones.

to pay a lot to look like everybody else?

I got some for my birthday :crylaugh:

Ineed new esrphoneds, state of the art ones would be nice for a change, a new CD player that doesnt tick when the length of a CD reaches saround the figtry minute mark, new tape deck new record player the budget one I havehas served me well but I doubt its stylus is very good for the records I play on it. I could do with some headphones too for my synth that I don't know how to use. 

Edited by useless

I've got some very expensive Shure 535 earphones. Maybe 10 years old, now. They have the advantage that the earphones are removable from the lead (which itself is much stronger than on normal headphones/earphones.  When the lead eventually started to cause some intermittent sound, I just bought another lead and kept the earphone parts. The sound is amazing, they came with a huge range of different ear fittings, and because I use them 4 or 5 days a week I've had value from them.

The SE535 utilizes Triple High Definition MicroDrivers – a dedicated tweeter and dual woofers for incredibly spacious sound and rich bass. It is the choice for discerning professionals and audiophiles. The SE535 is ideal for in-ear personal monitoring and for mobile listening devices. The detachable, Kevlar reinforced cable with formable wire allows for easy replacement and secure, comfortable fit.

• 1 month later...

My jay buds died for the 4th time so I went with these instead

Vibe BRASS BA11S IN-EAR HEADPHONES

they have a cord rather than being Bluetooth but sound quality is amazing and they also overcome Apple devices low volume (EU noise limit thingy ) problem by actually being loud enough to hear music through ... Easily the best in ear headphone I've ever heard ( including some Bose ones that I previously owned )

Meanwhile my warranty replacement jay buds have arrived and they've been given a facelift so possibly they have now fixed the flaw(s) with them ....Time will tell 

Edited by tonyh29

26497773902_a6249d5f17.jpg

Arrived this morning. 

Not sure they'll be any good for running! Bought primarily for the 3 metre detachable cable, the theory being this will stop me borrowing and breaking the kids' headphones with stupid thin little 1 metre cables made for walking down the street, not giving it the full air guitar around the dining room.

Apparently they were cheap because they're an old 2010 design and have been superseded, well that's fine by me. As much as I wanted them to be bright red or white or say Dr Dre on them, black will be just fine.

.......edit, and they work just fine, £72 from Juno, but strangely they don't appear to sell them today, so perhaps they really were the last of an old stock.

Edited by chrisp65
scientific testing results now in...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2014 at 09:57, Demitri_C said:

I did end up getting these ones in the end and they are still bloody good! Sounds fantastic and they are comfortable around the ears which is important. Just seen that these are now selling at £125, I paid £80 for mine :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Why can't I buy old style in ear headphones with inline volume control?  Those unseen powers that be have decided that all in ear headphones must be those noise canceling type that go deep inside your earway

If the do make a few token old style ones you get no volume control. Drives me mad

Â