Strongest Line Up?

ForeroGabe

Ideal (if Sanchez sucessfully adapts and Okore returns to his best).

Guzan

Hutton            Okore                          Vlaar           Cissohko

Sanchez

Cleverly                       Delph

Gabby                                                                   Grealish

Benteke

If we were playing a team likely to sit back i'd swap Gabby for Weimann (offers better movement and better and more intricate link up play) and Sanchez for Westwood. If we were playing a big powerful side I might throw Senderos in for Okore so long as the opposing strikers didn't have genuine pace.

I feel Grealish already has the best football brain out of any of our attacking players.  Came on against Hull, drew fools, slowed the game down, and got opponents booked. That was excellent reading of the situation and has the dribbling ability to carry the ball into dangerous areas, the only question mark for me is can he regularly find an end product! However I would reserve Grealish for home matches against teams that will sit back, we shouldn't rush him!

I would be very confident playing Okore in defense now as he would be surround by experience, and I think its important to have someone quick in the centre of defense these days. All in all this looks like the most balanced line up, playing to our main strengths which are pace, energy and now (with the additions of Senderos, Cissokho, Sanchez and the return of Hutton) power!

This may even solve our problem is a lack of creativity! Cleverly has very good movement and link up play and in that respect reminds me of Lampard (clearly doesn't have the finishing or shooting ability Lampard has though) so should help knit the midfield with the attacking nicely especially when we consider Benteke's hold up play. Grealish's dribbling and smarts combined with Delph's dribbling and said link up play should create opening as long as we can play the quick enough.

This teams weakness is a lack quality passing (Delph and Cleverly are competent rather than quality passers), thus moving the ball quickly and making the most of our pace and movement would be our best method of attacking teams!

For the next match and against any of last seasons top four i'd play the following line up (When Benteke is fit and Okore is fit and firing swap out Weimann and Senderos).

Guzan

Hutton             Senderos          Vlaar            Cissokho

Sanchez

Westwood          Delph

Cleverly

Weimann            Gabby

The workrate and energy of that midfield and attack would see us close down very well higher up the pitch. With strong disciplined defenders plus Sanchez protecting them would see us very difficult to play through. Then we would have two pacey fullbacks that can run with the ball, and Delph whose strength is run out of his own half with the ball at his feet, great for initiating counters! Westwood would be looking for the balls in behind for Gabby and Weimann, with Cleverly's good movement off the ball providing a great shorter option.  We would also have two players (in Cleverly and  Weimann) who are very good at linking the play when in good form.  We could be even bigger giant killers then we were last season!

• Like 1

I think Lambert go for these line up.. 

Vs team up to top 6
-------------------------------Guzan--------------------------
Hutton--------Senderos-----------Vlaar--------Cissokho
-----------------------------Westwood-----------------------
----------------Cleverly----------------Delph---------------

Weimann--------------Benteke------------Agblonahor

Vs top 6
-----------------------------Sanchez---------------------------
----------------Cleverly----------------Delph---------------

Weimann--------------Benteke------------Agblonahor

I think Lambert go for these line up.. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I prefer see these like

Vs Team up to top 7

----------------Cleverly----------------Westwood------------

Richardson/N'Zogbia---Delph-----------Grealish
------------------------------Benteke---------------------------

Delph or Cleverly,Westwood In ACM Roles take a turn to confused oppostion to open up to creative for Benteke via centre, when Richardson and Grealish do trick and killer pass, cross, swap winger..creative from width. so we have centre and width creative rather solo creative via wing which we rely goal last 2 season under lambert regin.

Vs Top 6 Team 

--------Okores----------Vlaar--------Senderos-----------
-------------------------------Sanchez---------------------------
Baunca--------Cleverly----------------Delph-----Richardson

--------------------------------Grealish---------------------------
--------------------------------Benteke---------------------------

more solid at back and midfield so we cant have all over by out number in midfield.. and wing back to make space to attack when our have ball to use counter attack to feed Benteke.. and Grealish in Free-roles to drag to out of position.. if they not ..Grealish do direct to defender to open space for Benteke or himself. 

Edited by Danny_Villaman84

----------------Delph----------------Westwood------------

Weimann/Gabby------Cleverley------Richardson/N'Zogbia

---------------------------Benteke---------------------------

I think Lambert will persist with the 4-2-3-1 formation for most games. For games where we'll be under the cosh, Sanchez can come in for Westwood/Delph/Cleverely depending on who's in better form and on the wings we have 4 players capable of filling two slots. It will any permutation of those 4 depending on form, and of course Grealish to come on as a sub.

And of course if we wanna play a front 2, we have a great option for the 5-3-2.

Bacuna------Senderos------Vlaar-----Cissokho --- Richardson
----------------Westwood---Sanchez---Delph-----------

-----------------------Benteke----Kozak-----------------------

Of course either one of Benteke/Kozak could be paired with Weimann/Gabby to have a more traditional strike partnership. But I think we haven't seen enough of Kozak and Benteke together to see if they would work. Apart from possessing an aerial threat, both of them are strong hold-up players and Benteke has pace to burn while Kozak isn't that slow himself. Bacuna might also be considered a better option at the RWB slot, as he has more pace and energy as well as possessing more of an offensive threat than Hutton although it unbalances the right side a tad as Bacuna might not be as solid defensively and Hutton-Senderos seem to have struck up a good understanding on the right. 

But I think the 3-5-2 needs really good offensive wing-backs to work, and most of Bacuna's bad displays in defence have come as a RB in a flat 4 -he's always played well as the RWB in a 5. So given that, and the fact that he has had a season's experience under his belt I think he would be a better option than Hutton there. 

Options options options. How fantastic. 

Edited by Alpaywasawesome

I think Lambert will persist with the 4-2-3-1 formation for most games. For games where we'll be under the cosh, Sanchez can come in for Westwood/Delph/Cleverely depending on who's in better form and on the wings we have 4 players capable of filling two slots. It will any permutation of those 4 depending on form, and of course Grealish to come on as a sub.

Of course either one of Benteke/Kozak could be paired with Weimann/Gabby to have a more traditional strike partnership. But I think we haven't seen enough of Kozak and Benteke together to see if they would work. Apart from possessing an aerial threat, both of them are strong hold-up players and Benteke has pace to burn while Kozak isn't that slow himself. Bacuna might also be considered a better option at the RWB slot, as he has more pace and energy as well as possessing more of an offensive threat than Hutton although it unbalances the right side a tad as Bacuna might not be as solid defensively and Hutton-Senderos seem to have struck up a good understanding on the right. 

But I think the 3-5-2 needs really good offensive wing-backs to work, and most of Bacuna's bad displays in defence have come as a RB in a flat 4 -he's always played well as the RWB in a 5. So given that, and the fact that he has had a season's experience under his belt I think he would be a better option than Hutton there. 

We're not good enough to play with only 10 players just yet.

Of course either one of Benteke/Kozak could be paired with Weimann/Gabby to have a more traditional strike partnership. But I think we haven't seen enough of Kozak and Benteke together to see if they would work. Apart from possessing an aerial threat, both of them are strong hold-up players and Benteke has pace to burn while Kozak isn't that slow himself. Bacuna might also be considered a better option at the RWB slot, as he has more pace and energy as well as possessing more of an offensive threat than Hutton although it unbalances the right side a tad as Bacuna might not be as solid defensively and Hutton-Senderos seem to have struck up a good understanding on the right.

We're not good enough to play with only 10 players just yet.

We've got Cleverley now, son. We can play with a team of five and still win the title.
  • Like 1

Lets try and make this easier.  I think Goalie and back four are pretty much nailed on (Okore and Senderos aside)

Then once Benteke is fit you can guarantee he'll be a starting up top.

Its the 5 places in between that are the issue and the formation of those?  So do we play two up top or players supporting the big man and feeding him,  my guess is he'll be on his own up top to be honest and we;ll have 5 in the middle either 2 then 3 or three then two just behind Benteke.

So if we are having five in between Benteke and Defence you would have to think that Sanchez (once up to speed) ,  Celeverly,  Delph and Westwood would all be starting? Which leaves a space open.  Is that  Grealish shaped space or is he to be an impact player for the majority of the season? is it an Nzogbia shaped space ?

I'd go with Grealish to be honest for some additional excitement and the middle 5 would look like this

----------------Sanchez-------------Delph

Westwood------------Cleverley------------Grealish

I think in all of the discussions about our strongest line up its the middle of the team that is the biggest issue,  where we have the most options and the most competition and to be honest that is a huge and refreshing change on last season when our midfield looked stale,  unable to compete ,  not strong enough,  not creative enough and not able to protect the back four.

This season that is absolutely not the case and with such little investment for me that is the biggest change this summer,  it needed to happen and it has and is credit to the management that it has happened in such a radical way for such little money

Edited by Richard

-------------------------------Guzan-------------------------------

Hutton---------Senderos------------Vlaar-----------Cissokho

---------Westwood-------Sanchez---------Bacuna------------

---------------Delph-----------------------Cleverley-------------

-----------------------------Benteke-------------------------------

Something different. Fullbacks are attacking the sidelines and when doing so Sanchez and Westwood can hang back and cover. Gives Delph and Cleverley a licence to attack. Benteke can hold the ball up and bring them both into play.

Guzan

Hutton            Senderos                    Vlaar           Cissohko

Sanchez

Cleverly            Westwood           Delph

N'Zogbia

Benteke

• Like 1

I'm surprised so many are leaving out Westwood from their XI. 

I think his game a matured greatly in the last 12 months, and he's still getting better. His role isn't to be spectacular, but he is calm and composed, retains possession well and seems to be a bit of a leader in the middle of the park. 

I can't see Lambert dropping him anytime soon

• Like 1

I'm surprised so many are leaving out Westwood from their XI.

This. Doesn't matter how well he plays, he's just unfashionable to some on here

That manager you seem to despise so much, the one who bought him to the club, seems to rate him very highly though so I wouldn't worry.

Our strongest line up right now is the one that won at the weekend.

Seeing as I wouldn't be saying anything that hasn't already been said at some point over the last 8 pages, I would like to proffer a more literal interpretation of "strongest" line up and suggest the Villa players I'd take with me into a pub fight.

•Guzan - never mess with someone who has voluntarily grown a neckbeard at some point in their life.

•Hutton - as a Scotch person, pub brawls are his natural habitat.

•Herd - if nightclub doors can't survive, what chance do you think your ass has?

•Vlaar - his surname is practically a war-cry.

•Baker - useful for headbutting everything and anything without hesitation.

•Kozak - something about that look on his face just says to me "yes, I've killed a man".

Baker would be clueless. He would stand there sipping his pint oblivious to the brawl around him.

Senderos looks like a Russian rebel fighter. Have to have him in there surely?

Nzogbia would add a bit of anger with his face which seems to look angry all the time.

Â