Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

Hope Carlos replaces Gabby with Weimann going as the loan forward.  

_____________________Guzan___________________

__Hutton___Senderos__________Vlaar____Cissokho__

___________________Sanchez___________________

_________Westy________________Delph__________

__N'Zogbia_________________________Richardson__

___________________Weimann___________________

Exactly what I had in mind.

Yeah, I'd like to see that 04/05 favourite the 4-5-1/4-3-3 with lots of pressing and a CDM bully who just munches anything even resembling an opportunity for the opposition.

04/05? We've played that shape for the last three seasons.

I think Richardson will be the one that misses out when Sanchez begins to start games.

Yeah, I'd like to see that 04/05 favourite the 4-5-1/4-3-3 with lots of pressing and a CDM bully who just munches anything even resembling an opportunity for the opposition.

04/05? We've played that shape for the last three seasons.

I think Richardson will be the one that misses out when Sanchez begins to start games.

We've played with a bullying CDM for the last 3 seasons? Who was that then? ;)

There are lots of different 4-3-3/4-5-1 systems and the one I was talking about was the one that every man and his dog was playing after Mourinho had so much success with it.

This:

new_chelsea_drogba_lampard_terry_cole.jp

Our midfield has been about 18 stone ringing wet in total for the last 3 seasons but Sanchez is a Makalele and although the biggest clubs have moved on to having destroyers who are also good on the ball, I'm more than happy to make do with this system, current finances considered.

I disagree that we play anything like that midfield system to be honest.

Westwood doesn't sit in front of the back four and make tackles like Makalele did at all, in fact the stats show he makes less per game than any of our other CMs (less than 2 per game).

Westwood is the more current version of a central midfielder, one who passes the ball well and keeps his team in shape. His average position is far further forward than someone who plays the 'Makalele role' and his tackling and passing stats are the polar opposite.

Here's the only average position charts I could find. 4-4-2 but shows Westwood's position. You know who is who:

VillaAveragePitchPosition.png

The thing that made Makelele a great defensive midfielder was as much in how he kept the ball as how he won it, I'd say that was the key to his game. I think Lambert has used Westwood in the hope that he'd be able to use the ball from deep, he's definitely been the deep lying midfielder in our three in the middle, he sits in front of the back four and distributes, very much trying to emulate the Makelele role. We've not played 4-4-2 more than a handful of times in the last few seasons to my memory.

Are you trying to say that Makelele was renowned for his distribution? He used to do tiny low risk passes once he'd won the ball, that is part of what the role is. As you rightly say Westwood distributes the ball in a far more advanced way.

I agree that we rarely play 4-4-2 (just 6 times last season) but even when we play a midfield 3 Westwood isn't sat behind the other CMs just in front of the CBs as an extra defensive player like Makelele was.

Here's an average position map for two halves from a 4-3-3 vs Liverpool:

VillaWidthvLiverpool_2992710.jpg

By contrast here's the average position of Chelsea vs Arsenal. Makelele is number 4:

_45360467_drogba_average_416.jpg

Edited by ArteSuave

To make a Makelele we'd have to combine Westwood and Sanchez into one player, and even then we'd be missing a few bits I reckon.

I think Westwood and Sanchez will operate as a pair in front of a back 4 in a 4-2-3-1 or as the central part of a 4 in a 3-4-1-2/3-4-2-1 depending on if we play with 3 CBs. Sanchez will chase, harry and win it back and give it to Westwood so we can keep it.

Yeah, we're not likely to actually get a Makelele clone but Sanchez is a good approximation.

Sanchez will chase, harry and win it back and give it to Westwood so we can keep it.

That's pretty much the basics of what the role Makelele played was IMO. He was always calm in possession and good at organising too, as well as reading the play as Ash says.

Sanchez looks very calm on the ball to me, it's only the reading and organising that he might be missing. Okay they're pretty key aspects but Vlaar/Senderos can help with the organising and we can all just hope he's a great reader of the game.

Sanchez needs to play in that DM role because it is something we've wanted for a long time now. I'd stick with that 4-3-3 formation which allows us to have 4 attacking players. I'd be happy with something like this for now:

--------------------------GUZAN------------------------

HUTTON---VLAAR--SENDEROS--CISSOKHO

-----------------------SANCHEZ-----------------------

---------------GREALISH--DELPH-------------------

N'ZOGBIA-------------------------------------GABBY

-----------------------WEIMANN------------------------

When Benteke is back I would drop whoever isn't playing well out of those front three. Grealish is questionable for many because of his age/inexperience but, he could be exchanged with Bacuna, Richardson, Westwood, Cole, Gardner and any of the other 3 in the above line-up. Okore is waiting int he wings to cover one of the central back two. We have Richardson to cover left back and Bacuna or Lowton ready to cover right back.

To be fair, we are in a much better place as a squad than we have been for some time.

• Like 1

Grealish doesn't seem to play centrally - more of a wide player judging from his positioning when he came on?  Westwood/Delph is the central pairing imo; maybe Richardson could be used there too, although he certainly seems to be a left sided player.

--------------------------SANCHEZ------------------------

SANCHEZ---SANCHEZ--SANCHEZ--SANCHEZ

-----------------------SANCHEZ-----------------------

---------------SANCHEZ--SANCHEZ-------------------

SANCHEZ-------------------------------------SANCHEZ

-----------------------SANCHEZ------------------------

Subs: SANCHEZ SANCHEZ SANCHEZ SANCHEZ SANCHEZ SANCHEZ SANCHEZ

• Like 3

Trained very well today apparently. Lambert impressed

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/carlos-sanchez-pure-quality-says-7633264

Cant see him not starting Sat morning :)

My mate at work told me that Lambert said that within a minute, he knew that Sanchez was a quality player, and my first thought was that this is going to be Lambert's reasoning to Westwood/Richardson for dropping them from a winning side :D

Not that I have a problem with that, I want the best team out there!

Â