Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

I like him but he has no middle ground at times he looks like a world class defensive midfielder, other times he's useless. Unfortunately he falls on the useless side far too often.

This goes for all our players but Di Matteo has got a hard job. Collectively we were awful last season which resulted most individually looking bad also but it is quite possible for some of those players to look like different ones, amongst a changed team and the breath of fresh air of a new manager and ownership.

Not an easy task at all.

i'm undecided on Sanchez really.

As many have said one week he's class and the next dog poo.

With the leadership on and off the pitch (or rather lack thereof), it could be as simple as new leadership resolves his inconsistent form.

Having said that, i'm not convinced he is big or strong enough for the championship. and his stamina also worries me.

If it were a straight choice between him and Gueye, i'd be saying Gueye all day long

15 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

interesting thing i heard by a south american football expert and it ties in with why he is so good for columbia. His role in the national team is to do his protection job and they avoid him getting the ball, if he does get it, is told to pass it straight to james or cuadrado. They are also told to go and collect ball from him. 

played this way for us he could be a real asset. I dont think we have been playing him right at all.

This is something I have said in the past, Sanchez is a very very good ball winner, but an awful footballer. Our previous managers seem to think he is a deep lying play maker, every time he wins the ball all his teammates seem to run away from him and seem to expect him to create things, which is the wrong way of deploying him. When he wins the ball, his midfield partners needs to come sprinting towards him to grab the ball of him. (He is world class for Colombia, so don't see why he shouldn't be world class for us too) 

• Like 2

If he's that limited is he worth a place in the squad? I think a player that cost millions of pounds, and we pay thousands of pounds a week, should be able to tackle and pass.

That said, I do like the guy, he seems to have a decent attitude, he's just not very good at football.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

We need players to be able to do far more than just win the ball and pass to the closest player if we want to win the championship.

Indeed. I could tackle but was absolutely b*llocks at every other aspect of football. And I never made it past the South Birmingham Sunday League.

• Like 1

Colombia seem to have done well lately and he has been a big part of their success. Most good tackling midfielders in the world are pants at other aspects and we need at least one good ball winner in our team. 

Edti: Players like him allow flair players to do their job and not worry too much about other stuff. With Sanchez in you don't need two more midfielders (we have been playing with 3 midfielders for ages and it is just uneccesary and stupid) With a ball winner like him you can allow the other midfielders to be more attacking

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 1

Playing him along with also defense minded Gana and Westwood (whatever his role was supposed to be?) was never going to work. Especially as we don't have any proper wide players.

One of the worst composed, most unbalanced midfield's in PL-history that I can remember. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Uncle Albert said:

interesting thing i heard by a south american football expert and it ties in with why he is so good for columbia. His role in the national team is to do his protection job and they avoid him getting the ball, if he does get it, is told to pass it straight to james or cuadrado. They are also told to go and collect ball from him. 

played this way for us he could be a real asset. I dont think we have been playing him right at all.

I agree and said before thats how he is best used. Problem at Villa is he gets the ball and has to give to Westwood, Bacuna or worse Guzan

• Like 1

Ironically, the best game I saw him have, he hardly moved more than a couple of yards from just in front of the defence. Forget the passes, all he did was stick a foot in every time the ball came anywhere near and in so doing broke up play virtually every time. I'm pretty sure he did the same at the World Cup.

Now, the Championship does'nt take many prisoners, so if we don't use this guy doing what he's actually pretty good at, then its a waste of time playing him at all. And, considering he seems to be saying the right things, why not give him that exact role. It gives us another option and I bet not many teams would go through us.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Uncle Albert said:

I think that could be said of quite a few.

22 hours ago, poitier said:

I hope he stays, he does a lot of good things but some people only seem to pick up on the errors.

That's probably because the errors are the majority!

As well as those errors are usually proper clangers in dangerous errors which led to conceding goals and pressure.

What's the point of doing lot's of good things (hair, smile, top bloke) if you can't pass a ball 5 yards?

I WAS a big fan in the beginning!

• Like 4

On 6/24/2016 at 19:53, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

That's probably because the errors are the majority!

As well as those errors are usually proper clangers in dangerous errors which led to conceding goals and pressure.

What's the point of doing lot's of good things (hair, smile, top bloke) if you can't pass a ball 5 yards?

I WAS a big fan in the beginning!

257c6b63c49e3f0b8d4f0bd1a7905577.jpg

On 23/06/2016 at 21:45, poitier said:

I hope he stays, he does a lot of good things but some people only seem to pick up on the errors.

Probably because there are so so many errors. 

• Like 1

A player who clearly divides opinion.

I have seen both sides of this player, but for me one thing is clear if we have any aspirations of getting out of this league is consistency.

We must as is humanly possible be able to "hang our hat" on a player......for too long there has been an inconsistent performance from our players leading to last season which was consistently shite.

I hope RDM is single minded about this and a culture that half hearted displays will be dealt with, not passed off and dismissed.

I wish the player all the best, but he needs to raise that level of good performance or he's toast.

Â