Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

Off topic but Makelele pretty much created/defined that role. He both went under the radar and defined a new role.

He didnt really. He was one of first players to do it in Premier League so thats how it gained attention and Sky said he created the role

Mauro Silva played the role for years before Makelele got recognition and so did other players around the world

Off topic but Makelele pretty much created/defined that role. He both went under the radar and defined a new role.

He didnt really. He was one of first players to do it in Premier League so thats how it gained attention and Sky said he created the role

What? Makelele got the attention for it while he was at Madrid, that's why all the players were very upset when he left.

He seems to be more on point with his longer range passing, which is odd. He's played some splendid balls in the past, but when it comes to doing the simple things he eems to make a lot of errors and get caught in possession. Off the ball I think he's great though.

A lot of people like to believe he is a poor player because its popular opinion to do so, personally think bar that Arsenal game he's played well. Again at the weekend, kept Eriksen quiet and stopped Spurs from really creating anything in the middle of the park with his combative personality. 

He's inconsistent on the ball - his passing can be good or bad.

I dunno. When he is given time on the ball his passing is excellent. Sadly, in this league, he doesn't often get the time he seems to require - which makes him a bit of a liability.

What? Makelele got the attention for it while he was at Madrid, that's why all the players were very upset when he left.

The point being made was exactly that. That the PLAYERS appreciated Makalele, but the fans and management of Real didn't.

A lot of people like to believe he is a poor player because its popular opinion to do so, personally think bar that Arsenal game he's played well. Again at the weekend, kept Eriksen quiet and stopped Spurs from really creating anything in the middle of the park with his combative personality. 

He's been poor in a lot more games than the Arsenal one.

Sorry, I've taken it off topic completely. All I was trying to say was that I felt the defensive midfield role was one that often goes under the radar but that the players who play with a good one in their side usually value them massively. 

Sanchez has definitely had some iffy performances and cost us some goals but he has also had some very good performances. I think he'll improve as he gets up to the pace of the English game.

• Like 1

I meant the part which he said he created the role. Sky would have you believe defensive midfielders didnt exist before Makelele

I think that is the key thing about him.

For me he was poor on Saturday. I really like him as a player and I think he could be good but the inrcreasingly regular big mistakes are starting to worry me.

I thought he looked a liability in possession for much of the second half, seems to always be in the second half so presumably its a fitness thing. It seems to be poor judgement/decision making for more mental but I guess that gets effected by tiredness aswell.

Overall I think there is a good player in there. Love his height and aerial ability, can't remember the last time we had a CM who won so many headers. His physicality is something we have also missed for a long time, definitely better than Westwood in that regard. In general I think he is a decent passes but seems to have very poor awareness of what is around him. I hope he is able to improve on that.

I think he'll be a loss on Sunday, even though he has was poor on Sat and a good half/bad half against QPR, there is no obvious replacement without Westwood fit. Having to shuffle Delph or Cleverely in there leaves us weaker overall.

It should be yes but I think it still gets overlooked. Its almost like the Westwood debate, some people see him as someone who just passes it sideways, others as someone who dictates play. It might well be down to people's preference. I much prefer the defensive aspect of the game because thats the position I play and get the most enjoyment from. I'd probably miss the subtle things that, say a winger does well because it doesn't interest me as much.

With Westwood, he is a defensive-midfielder that cannot defend well and then there is a legitimate debate to the importance of 'ticking over'. The 'unseen work' argument regarding him is based on the divergence over the valuation of his contributiom on that basis.

Whereas in theory, I'd imagine nearly all fans see the benefits in a defensive-midfielder that adequately fulfils his primary duty. I don't think that it is a role that is overlooked by fans. Rather in this case I feel that the focus remains on Sánchez's efficiency in possession and the rest is being ignored for that reason. In general, the midfield enforcer is not a role that escapes due praise and appreciation.

Regarding Makélélé, from what I understand that was all part of a power play by Pérez. Importantly the Real Madrid fans were saddened to see him sold if I'm not mistaken. It was linked to the departure of Del Bosque at the time and his 'group' in the dressing room were purged as a result, Makélélé being one.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

A lot more people base their opinion on what they see...

He is too slow, both in mind and execution and he gets left standing too often leading to others having to cover him. Vlaar and baker had to step out too many times the other day to cover his bad positioning. I'm hopeful that come next season he will be more up to speed and will of benefitted from having a season under his belt.

You understand that which you have posted above is what YOU see and that it might not be what somebody else sees?

I only say that because your opening line there comes across incredibly condescending.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

You understand that which you have posted above is what YOU see and that it might not be what somebody else sees?

I only say that because your opening line there comes across incredibly condescending.

If it's condescending you want then read the first sentence in the post I quoted.

Ofcourse I realise that's what I see and other people see things differently, pretty condescending question to be asked eh?

Â