Match Thread

alreadyexists

Okore and Nzog were big disappointments for me.

Pleasantly surprised by senderos - and thought Hutton looked great - really motivated - I seem him cursing himself when he gave away a corner, pretty vocal as well - fair play to him. 

Not much creativity - and the odd ocasion we did threaten - we don't have anyone who looks like they could put the ball in the net on a regular basis.

Grealish looked great - and Will comfort myself with the fact that on another day Bent would have scored at the death...

• Like 1

Well done to Grealish today, the best thing I can say is that he looks like he enjoys playing. If you look at our first team, half of them look nervous which results in poor first touch, rushed pass selection and snatched shots. Jack was cool as a cucumber and full of confidence.

The last 10 minutes had real tempo with Gardner, Heard and Al Amadi injecting pace into our attacks. Up until then, I was struggling to see what type of team we will be? We cannot counter as nobody seems to want to commit beyond the ball (everyone in our own box for corners with no outball at all!), we try to play possession but gradually work backwards not forwards and our passing is too slow and ponderous for us to be a team that drives the opposition back.

That all means that we have a side who do not appear to have a plan to win themselves games. That worries me immensely!

Ismail, I gave him one of old Villa shirts, he was more worried thinking he had damaged that than the fact he had a fit at the train station. He though Grealish was the dogs & couldn't believe how young he is . He wants to go to another game , God knows what would happen if he saw us win a game .

Whatever you do, don't tell him John Carew is half Gambian.

• Like 1

I thought it was a good game.  I have read all the hype on here about Grealish this was the first I have seen him play,  He stood out from the other players in a big way he looked really good.  I do not think we should start him though against Stoke they play a very physical game and I do not think that would be sensible for his debut start.

Two biggest cheers of the day were when Vlaar the Darren Bent came on.

I do not understand the logic of making Gabby captain in Vlaars absence, to me Delpth would be far better at this and the responsibility may reduce his tendency to dive in and pick up fouls.  Delpth seems to have awareness of where other players are. He is pointing at where he thinks they should be when responding to throw in and free kicks and generally seems to trying to control the field.  Gabby appears to be thinking too much about every thing else while captain and forgetting he is there primarily to score goals.  I really like  Gabby I love his loyalty to the club but I do not think he is captain material.

Typical pre season game where nothing much happened and nobody wanted to get injured.

As others have mentioned Grealish looked good and was the only player who looked to take a player on. Gabby looked very slow and clumsy. Looks as if he's been on the weights all summer.

Other than that can't really think of much else that happened really!

Â