Scottish Fitba

The_Rev

• 3 weeks later...

Winger Scott Sinclair says Celtic made a statement with the 5-0 win over Astana.

Sinclair scored twice in the Champions League play-off first-leg rout, which all but secured Celtic's place in the group stage.

"I wouldn't say it was easy, I think we made it look easy," said Sinclair, who scored the second and third goals.

"I think every game is so hard and, just the way we played tonight, it probably looked like it was easy."

Own goals by Evgeni Postnikov and Igor Shitov and a James Forrest strike helped towards a comfortable win for Brendan Rodgers' side ahead of Tuesday's second leg in Kazakhstan.

"It was a great night," Sinclair said. "The boys did unbelievable. The scoreboard shows how well we did.

"We got the fifth, but we wanted more and we kept going for the sixth.

"As players, we love these nights. These are the nights you want to play in. The atmosphere's unbelievable.

"We've come such a long way. The team's gelled very well. The gaffer's brought in a couple of new players and I think we'll be ready."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40956850

Manager Brendan Rodgers described Celtic's 5-0 Champions League play-off win over Astana as an "outstanding team performance" but insisted there is work to be done in the second leg.

Celtic travel to Kazakhstan on Sunday ahead of Tuesday's tie, with Rodgers adamant that he will select a team to win the match and not just see it out.

"We want to go there and win the game. We want to perform well," he said.

"It was a brilliant performance and now we need to get the job done there."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40957029

:crylaugh:

59 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Oh come on they are pants. celtic will get through and then get destroyed in group stages like every year 

Yep but they'll still probably win the domestic treble. Qualifying for the CL groups stages is the biggest game of their season. It allows them to get enough money that they can dominate their domestic league similar to other "one team" leagues.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Czechlad said:

I am pretty sure PSG would hammer 80% of the premier league clubs. I'd say only Chelsea, United, and City have somewhat of a chance against them.

Indeed - let alone teams in the Championship playoffs.

well Celtic fans I know tell you that Celtic Park is worth a couple of goals, Scott Brown is a midfield maestro and that squad would cope well in Premier League

I dont think PSG would be winning 5-0 away at Stoke, Southampton etc

On 13/09/2017 at 19:18, Zatman said:

well Celtic fans I know tell you that Celtic Park is worth a couple of goals, Scott Brown is a midfield maestro and that squad would cope well in Premier League

I dont think PSG would be winning 5-0 away at Stoke, Southampton etc

They absolutely could. Man City just spanked Watford (who look better than either of the aforementioned this season) 6-0 away from home. 

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

They absolutely could. Man City just spanked Watford (who look better than either of the aforementioned this season) 6-0 away from home. 

I'm not so sure. A lot of players who play in the English leagues (prem and champ) and struggle down here do well up there because the quality of that league is so poor. We saw with Sinclair that he was barely involved in a number of games for us. Leigh Griffiths struggled at Wolves. How many Celtic players would do well down here? I think Dembele, maybe Simunovic and then I'd be struggling. They most certainly would struggle south of the border. They would be perennial relegation battlers in my opinion.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I don't think it's anywhere near that simple to be honest. They'd be mid table IMO - although hopefully we never find out. 

With their exact squad they have now, maybe. But I think they'd struggle.

Give them a couple of years and they'd get better and better though.

But yes, hopefully we never find out. If they want to join the English leagues then they should be starting in the bottom tier.

• 2 months later...
Â