Fans backlash gag on Lions Club members

andykeenan

not that ive seen, its come at completely the wrong time, the club is in the shit and the chairmen are already at loggerheads with them

im sure form those advantages the number of home tickets have been reduced to 6 and hardly anyone uses the lions lounge because they charge you for entry, something which has been argued about for about 5 years now but they still charge you for it

4. The Chairperson SHALL NOT, in any capacity whatsoever, sell or distribute tickets to the Club's home or away games to the general public or to any person other than the member of the Supporters Club who the tickets were originally purchased for. These tickets MUST NOT, under any circumstances,, be advertised for sale on any form of social media.

:snip:

number 4 is the one that causes me the most problems

It's almost exactly the same as the rule on this site, which is based on the law of the land.

It's very badly written, the language used is very unprofessional, and looks like it was drawn up by an overly enthusiastic prep-school hall monitor intent on punishing unruly lower school oiks:

"You will not steal or falsify any Lions Club documentation for personal gain."

"In the case any Chairman is deemed out of line......"

"The Chairperson MUST keep in regular contact with the Supporters Club Coordinator and must treat him with respect and courtesy, and without harassment at all times."

Saying all of that, it has been poorly worded by AVFC and has the air of a 10 commandments style doctrine.

This is precisely my point.

It's bad PR, regardless of the validity of it's content.

• Like 4

It's just a really dumb PR blunder by the club. Laying down the law to supporters groups at a time when the club should be happy that they even have any supporters left is just poor timing. They are in no position to be making any demands of supporters at all.

Please has anyone actually read any of the article? 

You see this is the problem with society, nobody is ever bothered to read anything bar the headlines. So whatever a news outlet wants to be the theme all they have to do is splash it across the headline, knowing people are to stupid and lazy to read the article. 

The supporters groups were involved in the whole thing, no less than 6 of them and they signed off on the draft without as much as a peep of issue. 

I read the article, thanks

• Like 1

It's bad PR because a newspaper decided to spin it that way. 

no it was bad PR when they issued it to the chairmen and it subsequently got sent round the clubs members at the end of June, they had to sign it by the 31st so its surprising that they didnt report this before the deadline

4. The Chairperson SHALL NOT, in any capacity whatsoever, sell or distribute tickets to the Club's home or away games to the general public or to any person other than the member of the Supporters Club who the tickets were originally purchased for. These tickets MUST NOT, under any circumstances,, be advertised for sale on any form of social media.

It's almost exactly the same as the rule on this site, which is based on the law of the land.
No, it's not. Risso is right (never thought I'd hear myself saying that).

The site rules explain the law regarding ticket reselling, and set out some simple requirements in that light. The club statement reads as though they are barking out instructions at a bunch of new attendees at a youth detention centre.

If you want to work in partnership with supporters groups, and expect them to do voluntary work for your profit, don't treat them like crooks and speak to them in this condescending, high-handed way. It's not complicated.

no it was bad PR when they issued it to the chairmen and it subsequently got sent round the clubs members at the end of June, they had to sign it by the 31st so its surprising that they didnt report this before the deadline

I really don't see how it's bad PR at all tbh. They consulted with 6 chairmen about drawing up these 20 points. It effects only the approx 200 chairmen who get specific benefits from the club. So the club put in these guidelines of conduct which tbh are very fair. Abusing a member of staff on your own site/twitter account is out of order if you expect to get the benefits from the club. 

If you want fre reign to abuse people then don't expect to be given benefits by the club. I mean what's the issue here? For example If you abuse another forum member on VT more than once you'll be banned from here. 

Personally I don't give a toss about the Lions Club, but surely if they have chosen to become part of the "establishment" they should show a quorum of respect for it, it sounds a bit like they want to be in the club, but not abide by the rules.

• Like 1

The site rules explain the law regarding ticket reselling, and set out some simple requirements in that light. The club statement reads as though they are barking out instructions at a bunch of new attendees at a youth detention centre.

If you want to work in partnership with supporters groups, and expect them to do voluntary work for your profit, don't treat them like crooks and speak to them in this condescending, high-handed way. It's not complicated.

Voluntary work!!! Read the benefits

http://www.avfclionsclubs.co.uk/member-benefits

Edited by CVByrne

I really don't see how it's bad PR at all tbh. They consulted with 6 chairmen about drawing up these 20 points. It effects only the approx 200 chairmen who get specific benefits from the club. So the club put in these guidelines of conduct which tbh are very fair. Abusing a member of staff on your own site/twitter account is out of order if you expect to get the benefits from the club. 

If you want fre reign to abuse people then don't expect to be given benefits by the club. I mean what's the issue here? For example If you abuse another forum member on VT more than once you'll be banned from here. 

look beyond what they are signing up to and think about the fact that they are being forced to sign up to anything at all, and then put that in to the context of how strained the relationship between the lions club members / chairmen and the club already is, also dont think about all these huge benefits, running a lions club is an incredible amount of work

this goes way beyond not being allowed to abuse people

Voluntary work!!! Read the benefits

http://www.avfclionsclubs.co.uk/member-benefits

Oh, right. Is there club card points with that?

If there is a problem with someone using the interwebby thing to write comments which displease a currently employed member of staff, then tackle that specific issue. Don't write a set of rules which sound like a child given control of its class at break time.

• Like 1

Ah ok, you just didn't understand it. 

Clearly I (and others) understand the article differently than you (and others) do. 

Clearly you don't. 

Laying down the law to supporters groups at a time when the club should be happy that they even have any supporters left is just poor timing. They are in no position to be making any demands of supporters at all.

They drew up the points WITH consultation of SIX Chairmen. So very different to laying down the law. 

Also they are making no demand of supporters in the general sense you imply. They have 20 points of conduct for the approx 200 Lions Club Chairmen. 

Finally they essentially say you can't get the BENEFITS, yes benefits, if you are going to abuse (read: not criticise, abuse) club staff. You also have to get min of 20 tickets to be a Lions Club, so of course there is a ban on just selling on tickets on the secondary market.

So I reiterate, no you didn't understand it at all, but in reality you probably posted before fully reading it. 

look beyond what they are signing up to and think about the fact that they are being forced to sign up to anything at all, and then put that in to the context of how strained the relationship between the lions club members / chairmen and the club already is, also dont think about all these huge benefits, running a lions club is an incredible amount of work

this goes way beyond not being allowed to abuse people

Nobody is being forced to sign up to anything. You can simply not avail of the Lions Club benefits if you don't want to abide by those 20 points. Personally I do not want any person to be a Chairman of a supporters club if they think that abiding by those 20 points is unacceptable. I mean what kind of person wants to abuse staff on their own forum/twitter, or go get tickets to sell on themselves. 

I also believe these points were drawn up for a reason, there must have been chairmen giving abuse to staff or the coordinator given the specific wording. There must have been chairmen selling on tickets. I don't think it's right that their should be officially affiliated supporters clubs who won't abide by a code of civility like that. These Chairmen set the standard for the supporters, they should be held to one. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

Â