Match Thread

theboyangel

Maybe it's about time we had a dodgy pre-season. The last few years bar a shock result we've had a very comfortable and encouraging pre-season that amounts to nothing. Maybe having a bad pre-season will have the opposite effect. 

• Like 1

beyond dire, and very worrying. That was as good as our first team out there, and they looked risibly bad. Stoke will batter us. 

hmmm, I wouldn't say it was -

Give, Senderos, Baker, Clark won't start against Stoke and I have a feeling CNZ and hopefully a new defensive midfielder will replace Weimann and Gabby.

I can see us lining up against Stoke as

..................Guzan

Hutton(!)Vlaar, Okore,Richardson

...Westwood, New DM, Delph

Bacuna..............................CNZ

....................Bent

Yep. That's my starting XI as things stand (Okore will play right side though). If Cole is fit, maybe put him in behind Bent, but that's about as good as we have at the moment (not saying much I know). 

• Like 1

I watched about 15minutes of this and turned it off. Typical Lambert football. I appreciate it's a friendly, and I appreciate the game ultimately means nothing.... but aren't these the games where we should be experimenting? Aren't these the games where we should be trying to implement tactics which we've been learning in training? Shouldn't we be trying to work on the things we're bad at, ball retention and attacking movement?

But no, still it looks like none of this has been worked on at all. Tough season ahead me thinks.  

All about fitness these matches, the score isn't all that.

Groningen are way ahead of us in match sharpness and fitness as they have played several qualifiers for the Europa League.

Well they did plenty of running because they were never able to keep hold of the ball. 

This is now late pre-season and the coach should have them tactically ready for a season that starts in two weeks. We're not ready and I struggle to see how we will be with Lambert in charge.

• Like 1

Pre-season results means **** all in the grand scheme of things. More about blooding younger players an boosting fitness. To have a scoreline like this in a meaningful game is not excusable but in a pre-season game, it's permissible.

Pre-season results means **** all in the grand scheme of things. More about blooding younger players an boosting fitness. To have a scoreline like this in a meaningful game is not excusable but in a pre-season game, it's permissible.

Steve, I don't think anyone disagrees with pre-season results being meaningless.

But the way we played, and how our guys looked like in this game was clearly worse than we expected. It was an eye-opener. Not that we needed any more of it, but it is what it is. And mind you, I like to be positive.

Â