Match Thread

Rob182

So went to the game last night. Was good to watch football in a small stadium like that.

However, Bennett & Tonev in the first half, absolutely woeful. Bennett just doesn't have an average game does he? He either looks brilliant or awful. 

I'm afraid from what I saw of Johnson, not only last month but over the last 18months, he ain't gunna make it. Just not good enough. Has some nice touches when he gets the ball but does absolutely nothing with it. 

Grealish was the best player on the pitch by a mile for us. That kid has some talent. Big future for him.

Carruthers disappointed too.

But that said, was a fun game. Enjoyed it. Was good to see Gardner play (he's huge!), looked good apart from his yellow card. Was spraying balls about Gerrard-esque. 

Good to hear about Gardner Pieface. I am hoping he is the midfielder we want us to all to sign and his injuries havent got the better of him.

How was Robinson?

• Like 1

FWIW my view on game last night

Guzan - Was pretty good except for his rick in second half. Had a lot to do and score line could have been a lot worse were it not for him.

Lowton - Wasn't awful but continued last seasons habit of diving in and getting beaten very easily. Strange to say but Hutton looking clearly ahead of him right now.

Herd - Already said in the other thread but I really dont rate this guy and have no idea what he is doing at the club. As a utility man he is Championship level in a range of positions. As a CB he is probably League One level.

Donacien - Looked terrible in first half - obviously not used to playing on left side of CB pairing so that was a good learning experience for him. He and Bennett looked very weak on that side of defence. In second half he looked much better alongside Okore. Has electric pace and definitely has assets to be a good player. Seems to lack authority at he moment and I can see why he is a distance from first team right now. Still has time though so we will see.

Bennett - Looked really crap as he has done in 90% of the games he;s had for us. Richardson has played most of games for us in pre season in midfield but surely surely he has come in to play LB. If Bennett is our first choice LB we are going to concede a lot of goals next year. This kid has had two years now and while he does have nice feet going forward I am struggling to see that he will make it as a Premier League player.

D Johnson - Inconsistent - Only word to describe him - did some nice things and plenty of bad things. A long long way from being ready for first team. Desperately needs to play a season of mens football next year. Needs a loan with a club who is going to play him every game. When Greg Dyke made his proposals about B league he was talking specifically about people like Johnson. Def got talent but find their development halted in gap between u21 and first team.

Gardener - Big season for Gary and he did OK in this game without ever really imposing himself on it. Some good range of passing but never really bossed it. The conundrum with Gary is this. He gets played a lot in deeper Westwood role because he has decent passing and is big gets stuck in etc. However his biggest asset is that he arrives in box gets goals and has a lethal shot from around edge of box. He doesn't really get to use that asset in Westwood role. However I'm not sure he has good enough skill/technique to play more advanced.

Carruthers - As with Johnson inconsistent but I'm putting that down to rustiness after long injury. I think he is well ahead of Johnson is pecking order and has chance to be a first team player this year but needs to prove it sooner rather than later.

Burke - Amazed he still only 20 - nonetheless this kid looks good enough when playing in U21s but massively out of his depth every time I've seen him play at first team level. Will do well to have a career in Championship in my opinion.

Tonev - As with Bennett has talent but only ever see it in glimpses and 90% of performances are pretty awful.

Robinson - This kid has a bit of talent but a shed load of guts and determination to go with it. Everything that people like Delfouneso and Burke are missing. He has a long long way to before he makes it in Premier League but if he does it will be an achievement carved with raw desire. A lot to like about this kid again loan would be good for him this year.

Subs

Bacuna - Did OK looked a lot more solid than Lowton and got forward reasonably well.

Okore - We looked a lot more solid with him in team. Very composed on ball (sometimes too much) feel he may have a rick or two in him as he learns how cut throat the Prem can be but ultimately looks a very talented player and head and shoulders above Clark and Baker.

Stevens - Did well to be honest much better than Bennett last night in every aspect of game.

El Ahmadi - Did OK - replaced Gardner and played deeper role in central 3. One thing I noticed is that he is good and pressing but pretty pants at straight forward tackling. Got done a number of times by League 1 players.

Grealish - Looked very good to be honest. Kept the ball well, always wanted it and was able to slice through their lines with good running and give and goes. He is ready now and it is a big moment for him. Yes he is slight and will get smashed plenty of times but in general his technique and intelligence means he keeps the ball better than our more senior pros. He is one of very few glimmers of excitement for us right now.

N'Zogbia - Very good news to have this guy back. He is inconsistent but a significant threat to most sides he will face. Hopefully between him, Grealish and Joe Cole we will be a lot less reliant on Gabby and Weimann next year.

• Like 2

didnt watch the game but its not exactly a surprise a team of academy graduates with minimal first team football lost to a team that start the season in 2 weeks

Any highlights/videos of jacks goal? Be nice to see!

was a decent move

FWIW my view on game last night

Guzan - Was pretty good except for his rick in second half. Had a lot to do and score line could have been a lot worse were it not for him.

Lowton - Wasn't awful but continued last seasons habit of diving in and getting beaten very easily. Strange to say but Hutton looking clearly ahead of him right now.

Herd - Already said in the other thread but I really dont rate this guy and have no idea what he is doing at the club. As a utility man he is Championship level in a range of positions. As a CB he is probably League One level.

Donacien - Looked terrible in first half - obviously not used to playing on left side of CB pairing so that was a good learning experience for him. He and Bennett looked very weak on that side of defence. In second half he looked much better alongside Okore. Has electric pace and definitely has assets to be a good player. Seems to lack authority at he moment and I can see why he is a distance from first team right now. Still has time though so we will see.

Bennett - Looked really crap as he has done in 90% of the games he;s had for us. Richardson has played most of games for us in pre season in midfield but surely surely he has come in to play LB. If Bennett is our first choice LB we are going to concede a lot of goals next year. This kid has had two years now and while he does have nice feet going forward I am struggling to see that he will make it as a Premier League player.

D Johnson - Inconsistent - Only word to describe him - did some nice things and plenty of bad things. A long long way from being ready for first team. Desperately needs to play a season of mens football next year. Needs a loan with a club who is going to play him every game. When Greg Dyke made his proposals about B league he was talking specifically about people like Johnson. Def got talent but find their development halted in gap between u21 and first team.

Gardener - Big season for Gary and he did OK in this game without ever really imposing himself on it. Some good range of passing but never really bossed it. The conundrum with Gary is this. He gets played a lot in deeper Westwood role because he has decent passing and is big gets stuck in etc. However his biggest asset is that he arrives in box gets goals and has a lethal shot from around edge of box. He doesn't really get to use that asset in Westwood role. However I'm not sure he has good enough skill/technique to play more advanced.

Carruthers - As with Johnson inconsistent but I'm putting that down to rustiness after long injury. I think he is well ahead of Johnson is pecking order and has chance to be a first team player this year but needs to prove it sooner rather than later.

Burke - Amazed he still only 20 - nonetheless this kid looks good enough when playing in U21s but massively out of his depth every time I've seen him play at first team level. Will do well to have a career in Championship in my opinion.

Tonev - As with Bennett has talent but only ever see it in glimpses and 90% of performances are pretty awful.

Robinson - This kid has a bit of talent but a shed load of guts and determination to go with it. Everything that people like Delfouneso and Burke are missing. He has a long long way to before he makes it in Premier League but if he does it will be an achievement carved with raw desire. A lot to like about this kid again loan would be good for him this year.

Subs

Bacuna - Did OK looked a lot more solid than Lowton and got forward reasonably well.

Okore - We looked a lot more solid with him in team. Very composed on ball (sometimes too much) feel he may have a rick or two in him as he learns how cut throat the Prem can be but ultimately looks a very talented player and head and shoulders above Clark and Baker.

Stevens - Did well to be honest much better than Bennett last night in every aspect of game.

El Ahmadi - Did OK - replaced Gardner and played deeper role in central 3. One thing I noticed is that he is good and pressing but pretty pants at straight forward tackling. Got done a number of times by League 1 players.

Grealish - Looked very good to be honest. Kept the ball well, always wanted it and was able to slice through their lines with good running and give and goes. He is ready now and it is a big moment for him. Yes he is slight and will get smashed plenty of times but in general his technique and intelligence means he keeps the ball better than our more senior pros. He is one of very few glimmers of excitement for us right now.

N'Zogbia - Very good news to have this guy back. He is inconsistent but a significant threat to most sides he will face. Hopefully between him, Grealish and Joe Cole we will be a lot less reliant on Gabby and Weimann next year.

Regarding Hutton it's not strange to say he looks better than Lowton at all. He always has been. He was just made a scapegoat for the terrible Mcliesh season.

Well I thought he was pretty crap that season and not a scapegoat at all. However Lowton went backwards big time last year and Hutton looks very motivated which is good to see.

He was crap but so were half the team. Never conceded 8 though.

MONs team conceded 7 at Chelsea, with a defence many considered one of our best. Singling out a result means nothing.

Â