Match Thread

Rob182

Not followed the game at all, should I be worried by the fact we're 3-1 down?

No not at all, seven academy graduates started with limited first-team action.

Positives were Robinson, Carruthers, Johnson and Grealish...the latter looks like some player.

Was impressed with Okore, Zog, Grealish and Robinson today. Few of the other players need more time. 

Ah the common sense approach, a refreshing viewpoint around here.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

I really wish we'd have kept Luna and got rid of Bennett!

Thing is another club  wanted   Luna and quite  rightly. As far as I am aware no one is in  for Bennett and probably won't be until Lambert has sorted out what he is going to do for  both right back and left back.

Not followed the game at all, should I be worried by the fact we're 3-1 down?

No not at all, seven academy graduates started with limited first-team action.

Positives were Robinson, Carruthers, Johnson and Grealish...the latter looks like some player.

Alright, that's good to know. Very glad to hear Grealish played well.

• Like 1

Sixty minutes in and I maintain my earlier point that Robinson and Johnson look good...then so too Grealish and Carruthers and in total they don't have much experience at all.

I do wonder why people expect so much from these very young and naive players. This is a learning experience for them.

Smiling Z_Z It seems to be a tradition to expect so much of  our  youngsters and if and when they eventually get their  chance with the first team and they don't immediately perform like superstars, some "fans"  are quick to  condemn  them.  Remember when Luke Moore and Gabby were coming through the ranks?

It still amazes me in a positive way  that Gabby is still  with us.  Luke Moore in the  early days showed so much promise. Same could be  said  for  Delfouneso who has now  signed  for Blackpool. Similarly Albrighton..but that is  a whole  other thread ;)

Edited by Daholteend

Pretty poor display, however the first half we were playing mostly youngsters and reserves, and knowing that pre-season games are meaningless, I won't overreact. Always nice to win, of course, and never nice to lose, or indeed be outplayed by League One teams.

Positives: N'Zogbia and Grealish are both looking great. I was very pleased that Grealish wouldn't allow the opposition to bully him, and it was nice link-up with him and CNZ for the goal. Stevens is making a good case for getting that starting left-back slot, although I'm interested to see how he does against stronger opposition.

• Like 1

Ok, so not a result we should worry about but...

Lowton was terrible in the first half. Second goal was his fault. Guzan was ok, but first and third goals he should have done much better. And these two are first team members.

On the positive side, I thought Herd, CNZ, Grealish and Robinson had good games. Carruthers had a much better second half, but Robinson didn't spot him a few times when he had a good position in front go goal - is there a problem there between them? But at times we sat too deep and didn't have anybody in the box. On one or two occasions we passed into the box with no one there.

Highlight of the game was the Villa fans just behind us who kept the match ball for about 30mins in the first half - got a bigger cheer than anything on the pitch.

It's

SACK EVERYONE!

Sack Martinez as well the useless tool

Everton lost 3 - 2 the other week to Tranmere

No doubt their fans were calling for his head

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 2

SACK EVERYONE!

Sack Martinez as well the useless tool

Everton lost 3 - 2 the other week to Tranmere

No doubt their fans were calling for his head

I reckon if we had our last 4 seasons like Everton we would probably be having a good laugh about our friendly result today.

Haha you must be mad to take a preseason result seriously.

Last season didnt we lose 2-0 to conference Luton Town with a very strong side out including Benteke?

Man City lost by the same score at Dundee too with 3/4 first teamers playing. It means nada

Edited by BleedClaretAndBlue
  • Like 1

I'm not sure how the team on the pitch represents the manager and his purchases over two years. Its not like he has had a MON-esque budget. Yes Tonev is very poor, but what do you expect? Spend peanuts get monkeys.

Also, losing 3-1 in a preseason game is better than losing 3-1 come August. It is all about fitness right now.

Chill.

• Like 2

Every pre-season we have this, some people looking far too much into the results of games.

These games are set up to be able to play 90 minutes without thinking too much about the result and instead working on a few other things, like fitness, trying players in new positions, getting youth players minutes, integrating youth players and new signings with the first team.

Result means diddly squat.

Â