Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I'll watch them as they are Star Wars but they'll never beat the original three (ep 4-6)

Plus they'll never be as ingrained in the public consciousness as the originals were. 

Nothing will.  Things just don’t have the cultural impact they used to, be it films or music.  I blame the internet.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Nothing will.  Things just don’t have the cultural impact they used to, be it films or music.  I blame the internet.

I think it's just somewhat of an outdated franchise that appealed to a whole different generation. What the hell do kids in 2019 care about some old space dudes that fight with long Glosticks when Avengers exists? It might have been cool in 1974 but yeah, not anymore.

Edited by Keyblade

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think it's just somewhat of an outdated franchise that appealed to a whole different generation. What the hell do kids in 2019 care about some old space dudes that fight with long Glosticks when Avengers exists? It might have been cool in 1974 but yeah, not anymore.

I wouldn't under estimate the star wars appeal to kids, theres not a kid I dont know who doesnt like star wars. He's lad is crazy about it too. Toys, shirts, bedsheets, lunchbox, bag etc... it's no different now, he and his friends love it.

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

I wouldn't under estimate the star wars appeal to kids, theres not a kid I dont know who doesnt like star wars. He's lad is crazy about it too. Toys, shirts, bedsheets, lunchbox, bag etc... it's no different now, he and his friends love it.

I don't know too many kids so I'll take your word for it lol. From my experience though, even as a millennial, older than the current crop of kids...I never really cared for it growing up and most of my peers were the same. Never saw a single movie. (I had a cool Yoda tee when I was really young though). It was really only the nerdier types that were into it. There was some renewed interest when the prequels came out when I was in middle school but people only cared about like Jar-Jar Binks and his hilarity.

Fast forward to now, when I went to see 7 and 8 in theaters, it was pretty much just people (mostly dudes) in their 30's and 40's. Conversely when I went to see Spiderman, it was either groups of 12-14 year olds, or families with their kids. Now that's a franchise that has endured throughout generations. Spider-man honestly never stops being cool.

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Fast forward to now, when I went to see 7 and 8 in theaters, it was pretty much just people (mostly dudes) in their 30's and 40's. Conversely when I went to see Spiderman, it was either groups of 12-14 year olds, or families with their kids. Now that's a franchise that has endured throughout generations. Spider-man honestly never stops being cool.

Thats really interesting but I have completely the opposite view. I grew up watching the rather lame 70's/early 80's TV Spiderman and it was just, well lame. Also the idea that someone in our universe/world gets bitten by a spider and then starts jumping around buildings and squirting webs from their wrists - well that just always seemed stupid to me :D

However Star Wars started with "A long time ago, in a Galaxy far far away..." which just set it up so beautifully for me. It wasn't in the future in was ancient and miles from anything we ever knew. It just seemed to set up such huge possibilities. 

Each to their own though I guess :thumb:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Thats really interesting but I have completely the opposite view. I grew up watching the rather lame 70's/early 80's TV Spiderman and it was just, well lame. Also the idea that someone in our universe/world gets bitten by a spider and then starts jumping around buildings and squirting webs from their wrists - well that just always seemed stupid to me :D

However Star Wars started with "A long time ago, in a Galaxy far far away..." which just set it up so beautifully for me. It wasn't in the future in was ancient and miles from anything we ever knew. It just seemed to set up such huge possibilities. 

Each to their own though I guess :thumb:

It's interesting how people view things so differently. I used to watch reruns of the old cartoon as well and it was fun in a nostalgic way. It was cool seeing cartoons my dad grew up on but the show wasn't really that good so I can see why you were put off :lol: .

I was lucky enough to grow up on the 90's cartoon, and it was just the coolest thing to me as a kid. Not so much the origin story but his powers in general. Just like the X-Men of the same time...it felt I don't know, more plausible? Star Wars in comparison seems like a distant fantasy. Which I guess is part of the allure in a way, but I think younger kids aren't as much into fantasy and more into cool action. Case in point, in my early years I was obsessed with Power Rangers and Spider-man etc. It's not until you hit 10-12 that you start to get into the Harry Potters and the LOTR's of this world.

I think Star Wars played both roles for kids at the time. I imagine it was somewhat of a techical marvel back then too. Even now when I'm watching the older movies I think to myself, "damn they could do that in 1977*?". Now I feel like if kids see SW they'll just be like "yeah ok that's cute, back to Thanos". The new trilogy is a lot of fanservice anyway. It doesn't really translate well I feel.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's interesting how people view things so differently. I used to watch reruns of the old cartoon as well and it was fun in a nostalgic way. It was cool seeing cartoons my dad grew up on but the show wasn't really that good so I can see why you were put off :lol: .

I was lucky enough to grow up on the 90's cartoon, and it was just the coolest thing to me as a kid. Not so much the origin story but his powers in general. Just like the X-Men of the same time...it felt I don't know, more plausible? Star Wars in comparison seems like a distant fantasy. Which I guess is part of the allure in a way, but I think younger kids aren't as much into fantasy and more into cool action. Case in point, in my early years I was obsessed with Power Rangers and Spider-man etc. It's not until you hit 10-12 that you start to get into the Harry Potters and the LOTR's of this world.

I think Star Wars played both roles for kids at the time. I imagine it was somewhat of a techical marvel back then too. Even now when I'm watching the older movies I think to myself, "damn they could do that in 1977*?". Now I feel like if kids see SW they'll just be like "yeah ok that's cute, back to Thanos". The new trilogy is a lot of fanservice anyway. It doesn't really translate well I feel.

Absolutely - and thats why Disney bought it. They knew they would make $$$ from the 35 - 45 year saddos (like me !) and it would make the shareholders happy.

Gosh it's such a shame to be so cynical about something that was once so magical.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Absolutely - and thats why Disney bought it. They knew they would make $$$ from the 35 - 45 year saddos (like me !) and it would make the shareholders happy.

Gosh it's such a shame to be so cynical about something that was once so magical.

Would love to see a reimagined SW trilogy that could compete with the superhero movies of today instead of just being a slightly more modern rehash of the original trilogy.

Just now, Keyblade said:

Would love to see a reimagined SW trilogy that could compete with the superhero movies of today instead of just being a slightly more modern rehash of the original trilogy.

I'm not sure I would want to see it, but if Disney think they could make money from it I'm sure it will happen eventually. 

I could see remakes of Indiana Jones, ET and all of the original 80's "lunchbox blockbusters."

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I'm not sure I would want to see it, but if Disney think they could make money from it I'm sure it will happen eventually. 

I could see remakes of Indiana Jones, ET and all of the original 80's "lunchbox blockbusters."

Yeah I think we might see that in an a future not too far, far away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

They'll do it eventually.

Disney aren't an adventurous business. They rarely take risks. When they bought Marvel they knew they were on to a sure thing (and in retrospect that deal is probably one of the best in entertainment history). The same is true of Star Wars, though they spent more, so to ensure the property their first act was go for a new sequel trilogy with all the tropes - lightsabers! Jedi! Sith! Old faces! The Force! A hero's journey! The Millennium Falcon and X-Wings and TIE Fighters! They wanted to spark Star Wars as a tentpole franchise again but also make sure they didn't spook the horses by doing something too far away from the classic formula. So we get the Force Awakens, a soft reboot masquerading as a sequel, directed by a competent young director who had experience of SFX spectacle driven, who has a knack of making 'mystery box' narratives that are designed to hook in viewers desperate to fill the gaps.

This extended to their whole plan with the franchise, with ideas in place for spin offs that basically wrote themselves. They will eventually tilt away from this, like they ultimately let the Marvel series do more and more bizarre stuff, but only when they're confident of the golden goose. They're dipping their toe into unknown territory with the Mandalorian series, eventually that'll extend to cinema releases.

It might take a little longer than thought though, especially after the backlash to Last Jedi scared them a little. Hence the retreat back to safe hands and safe ideas with IX, and the sudden shelving of all the planned spin offs. They want to make sure they'll not harm the property by messing with it too much.

I actually think they might benefit from being more ambitious with it. There's a lot that can be done with Star Wars that doesn't feature Jedi's and lightsabers and Skywalkers. It's basically a pulp sci-fi universe, you can do anything with it. You just need to get past the idea that Star Wars is fundamentally about fighting the Empire and whatnot.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Star Wars is revered and quoted 42 years on. 

Avengers will hardly be remembered in 10 years from now IMO

That's not a direct criticism of the film(s) its just modern disposable pop culture and the diminishing cultural impact that stuff has in society today. 

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Star Wars is revered and quoted 42 years on. 

Avengers will hardly be remembered in 10 years from now IMO

That's not a direct criticism of the film(s) its just modern disposable pop culture and the diminishing cultural impact that stuff has in society today. 

I don't disagree. My point was that kids prefer that more immediate, disposable media...at least when they're younger. Not saying one is better or worse than the other.

I think action is action, if they can make the lightsabre scenes cool as **** with modern martial art standards then its a winner (I've no confidence that they can) if they can make the massive space battle at the end bigger louder and brighter than the last 20 minutes of a marvel film then that's a winner too, that I think can go either way, rogue one's final was stunning, better than anything marvel have offered IMO but at the same time the other films have fallen flat, revenge of the sith for example with their space battles you couldn't see what was actually going on

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think action is action, if they can make the lightsabre scenes cool as **** with modern martial art standards then its a winner (I've no confidence that they can) if they can make the massive space battle at the end bigger louder and brighter than the last 20 minutes of a marvel film then that's a winner too, that I think can go either way, rogue one's final was stunning, better than anything marvel have offered IMO but at the same time the other films have fallen flat, revenge of the sith for example with their space battles you couldn't see what was actually going on

Exactly what I was trying to intimate. They should reimagine the series to have more modern action sequences and effects. It can be as cool as Marvel/DC etc, but as long as they keep trying to stay faithful to 20th century material (which suits older fans just fine of course), it's always going to be a bit flat. I agree re: Rogue One. That was brilliant. 

I'm more from the old fart of Star Wars watchers and don't feel modern martial art scenes would add anything.

I usually zone out during these in action flicks, you seen one you seen em all. Especially if they are CGi-heavy.

It's just a blurring disregard of physics.

As an example out Yoda's action scenes I still rate the one against R2-D2 as the only good one.

If you have a good story, however simple, and execute it will in this universe then I'm content.

Anyway, rant over 

Bildresultat för old man yells at cloud gif

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Â